TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

roof wall modifier problems
Read 1204 times
* January 01, 2018, 07:39:49 AM
It seems like once I alter a roof by slicing it or adding it to another roof, all my roof/wall modifications go away and I cannot redo them until I undo the roof modifications. Any thoughts on this? I am using version 2017 pro platinum 64 bit. Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 07:59:15 AM by JohnH »

-John
using TC Pro Platinum 2017

* January 01, 2018, 07:59:04 AM
If you Slice it, it's not a roof anymore, but a solid or surface maybe and then the roof modifier dont work on the object.
Then you will need to use "Top Wall modifier" instead, draw a line/ polyline where you want the wall to end and use that line/ polyline as modifier.

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* January 03, 2018, 05:16:05 AM
If you Slice it, it's not a roof anymore, but a solid or surface maybe and then the roof modifier dont work on the object.
Then you will need to use "Top Wall modifier" instead, draw a line/ polyline where you want the wall to end and use that line/ polyline as modifier.

Torfinn

Thanks! That's certainly an extra step I wish I didn't need to take but it works!

-John

* January 03, 2018, 07:45:19 AM
It seems like once I alter a roof by slicing it or adding it to another roof, all my roof/wall modifications go away and I cannot redo them until I undo the roof modifications. Any thoughts on this? I am using version 2017 pro platinum 64 bit. Thanks!

it helps to post a user case.  ;D
I'm not sure what you are doing exactly but there is a "roof modifier" tool for doing cuts/slicing out a portion of the roof without removing the link between the walls and roof.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using Lightworks and Redsdk, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

* January 03, 2018, 03:31:34 PM
Well using the lines for the top wall modifiers worked but then, later, I find that my walls are all back at the 8' height. I still kept my roof modifier lines and I tried re-modifying the walls but now it does't work to bring them up to the lines anymore. I tired to undo to retrace my steps and see where this happened but it was farther back than it would let me go. Attached is an image that sort of shows what I am trying to do. Yes I think the roof modifier would work for the slice but I am not sure about when I join the two roofs... I will have to delete the roof and start over and see...
Thanks for the responses.

-John

* January 03, 2018, 04:16:49 PM
Somethime back in earlier versions i remember that if i close the layer with modifier lines in, save and close the drawing, it would open again next time with what seems to be not modified walls, you can open that layer in case, save, close and re open the drawing again and the walls follow the modifiers again, i think it is just to make sure we have some "fun" :)
If that works out on your drawing, maybe try to hide the modifiers in a Category instead and close that category, never tested, just one idea that i got now, as then the layer is not closed, you just hide the lines.

For the part you add txt over i think i would have converted the roof to roof slabs instead as then you can add node's and adjust them to your needs, as i think there is an overhang to take care of also.
Just remeber that then wall/roof modifier dont work, it is wall/ roofslab modifier and they only work 1 by 1 on the walls, so one wall, connect to what roof slab, esc, and continue with the next one until finish.
If you convert the roof to a roofslab i also am pretty sure that the material on Top and Bottom will switch, as a roof go from bottom and up, roofslab go from top and down, a roofslab made a one from the beginning will act like a normal roof when it comes to material, just another "funny" thing :)

And if you want an opening in the roofslab, you should use the Opening tool for it.

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* January 03, 2018, 05:28:47 PM
Well using the lines for the top wall modifiers worked but then, later, I find that my walls are all back at the 8' height. I still kept my roof modifier lines and I tried re-modifying the walls but now it does't work to bring them up to the lines anymore. I tired to undo to retrace my steps and see where this happened but it was farther back than it would let me go. Attached is an image that sort of shows what I am trying to do. Yes I think the roof modifier would work for the slice but I am not sure about when I join the two roofs... I will have to delete the roof and start over and see...

There's also the "roof slab wall modifier'
I joined a porch roof off the main roof.
Main roof was converted to roof slabs
Then I joined a slab to the small roof slab
Then used the roof slab wall modifier to quickly re-join the walls to the roof slabs.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using Lightworks and Redsdk, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

* January 04, 2018, 08:08:21 AM
Thanks guys, I will play around with roof slab and see if I can approach this in a different way.
On a side note: is there a way to get the eve fascia to be square with the roof instead of plumb cut?

-John

* January 04, 2018, 10:27:36 AM
On a roof, Select it and open Roof Properties in Selection Info Palette, at the bottom you can change from Plumb to Squere.
On Roof Slab the procedure is a bit difference
Select it with Edit Tool and you will se a tiny green line on the end TC think it should be, if you want to change it check Pivot down on Inspector Bar, it is best to be in an iso view when do it i think, then just click on the edge you want to be pivot edge, set the slope over in Inspector bar.
Change Edge cut, Select with edit tool, uncheck the Pivot if it is checken, press Shift and click on the Pivot edge, then a menu open on Inspector bar, set the cut to your like or Select Plumb or Squere in the next menu.

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* January 04, 2018, 11:17:22 PM
Convert the roof to roofslabs before you slice it. Roof slabs can be sliced. Only use the roofslab / wall modifier when your roof is complete.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* April 15, 2018, 04:16:32 PM
I have been trying to do this simple thing all day.  Can't get my head around how you managed to attach the porch roof to the facia like you show.  I have 4/12 normal roof I turned to slabs, then I made a slab from poly line and set it up to a 3/12 pitch.  I can fake the intersection and sort of had the walls work on the porch but it is not perfect.  I have been reading all I can on roof slabs and modifiers. Tried to get it figured without asking but now my head hurts.  I tried to get the 2 close and use the miter tool but that did all kinds of strange things.  Doing it with a gable roof over porch is easy.  I will attach the file if anyone wants to have a look.  I think I could be done physically building this project in the time I have messed with trying to draw in 3d.

There's also the "roof slab wall modifier'
I joined a porch roof off the main roof.
Main roof was converted to roof slabs
Then I joined a slab to the small roof slab
Then used the roof slab wall modifier to quickly re-join the walls to the roof slabs.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 04:19:19 PM by Reg Neufeld »

Reg
Pro Platinum 2017(current)
TC 21 pro platnium
TC pro 19
TC pro 16.2 Architectural
Win 10 64 bit  16g DDR3 Intel i7 quad core

* April 15, 2018, 07:36:00 PM
I have been trying to do this simple thing all day.  Can't get my head around how you managed to attach the porch roof to the facia like you show.  I have 4/12 normal roof I turned to slabs, then I made a slab from poly line and set it up to a 3/12 pitch.  I can fake the intersection and sort of had the walls work on the porch but it is not perfect.  I have been reading all I can on roof slabs and modifiers. Tried to get it figured without asking but now my head hurts.  I tried to get the 2 close and use the miter tool but that did all kinds of strange things.  Doing it with a gable roof over porch is easy.  I will attach the file if anyone wants to have a look.  I think I could be done physically building this project in the time I have messed with trying to draw in 3d.

Use the Edit tool to extend the porch roof into the main roof. Place the back roof slab temporarily on an invisible layer to avoid confusing Genie. Then activate Miter Two Roof Slabs and follow the instructions at the bottom left of your screen. (Works for me.)

Henry H

* April 15, 2018, 07:48:19 PM
Thank you Henry.  I guess I was not extending the porch part into the main roof far enough.  Happy to have learned a bit about the roof slab tool.  I seem to need TC once or twice a year.  Funny part after showing customer the 2 drawings they want a truss gable roof anyway.  I knew that would be the case if I showed it to them.

Reg
Pro Platinum 2017(current)
TC 21 pro platnium
TC pro 19
TC pro 16.2 Architectural
Win 10 64 bit  16g DDR3 Intel i7 quad core

* April 16, 2018, 03:26:10 AM
Along those same lines, there doesn't seem to be a way to join two roof slabs that are on the same plane and same pitch. The roof miter tool is the only way to join roofs and it only seems to work if the roofs and at different angles or different pitches. Obviously that's what miter means but I wish there was a way to join two roof slabs that are the same pitch and plane. I can live with it but it is one of those little things...

-John

* April 16, 2018, 03:03:16 PM
Along those same lines, there doesn't seem to be a way to join two roof slabs that are on the same plane and same pitch. The roof miter tool is the only way to join roofs and it only seems to work if the roofs and at different angles or different pitches. Obviously that's what miter means but I wish there was a way to join two roof slabs that are the same pitch and plane. I can live with it but it is one of those little things...

Maybe this will work for you.
  • Select the upper roof slab with the Edit Tool (Ctrl+Space).
  • Add a node where the smaller roof slab meets the upper.
  • Click on the left segment arrow ▼ and move that segment to the bottom of the slab.
  • Activate the "Pivot Edge Edit" in the Local Menu.
  • Select the right edge, then the node and move/pivot to the corner of the lower slab.
  • See Node Editing Roof Slabs in the Help on how to clean up the discrepancies.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit