TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Mobile Camera
Read 1151 times
* December 30, 2017, 02:52:01 PM
Just fine tuning my animations, but Ive got some small issues with the quality of the animation source files ( bmp, jpg and gif ) files covering multiple animations. So I need some feedback prior to finalising my work.

Take a look at the quality of 4Cylinder-Distributor Animate 221220170012.bmp, when I view in windows paint it looks very poor in quality and Im wondering why?

Should I be using a jpg or gif image instead?
(AniLab frame setting are 800 x 600)

Mobile Camera Animation

In the cameratest file Ive setup something incorrect and dont understand why I get a plan view of animation with no view in SE. What Im wanting todo for all my animations is keep all objects stationary and revolve the camera around each object and in some cases move the camera through objects ( and where gaps appear between say a dc motor and frame objects, not related to the distributor animation).

So I looked at the example in the anilab Quick Intro document and got the general idea but in the cameratest file I used a 3D spline object is that the right object to use or should it just be a spline only?

Just discovered that anilab puts in a $ANIMCONSTRUCT in the Design Director that references a point object, never seen that before so I may have mixed up parts of animating cameras with parts of mobilecameras, so I need to know what Im doing wrong.

Thanks Daz
TCW V21, 2016 & 2017 PP, Animation Lab V5, Graficalc, TCMap, TurboPDF V2-V3 & Lightworks mostly
Windows 10 Home ed. i7 @ 3400Ghz, 16GB, Nvidia 960GTX 4GB ram, 2TB HD, 500GB SSD & 128GB SSD

Good better best
Never let it rest
Until your good is better
And your better is best

* December 31, 2017, 08:39:59 AM
Will look at te file  shortly, but to comment on the BMP,  BMP beign a pixel x pixel format is about as good as it gets without using scaleable vector format, (which you can't do for an image),   800x600 is too small for a good quality image with lots of detail,  plus taking off the white space in your pic, and you have an actual image of around a tiny 480x400.

Are you after a still image Daz or just increasing the quality of the animation ?, 

Hmm, looked at the file,  AL doesn't like having camera look by path and camera position by path, both using the same path, the camera can't look at itself so picks an arbitary view. also you really need a cameraUp 0 0 1 as well to tell the camera which way is up.

Select make copy tool, and click the spline,  tab to scale x and go with something like 5, use the same for scale y and scale z, turn off make copy,  change the camera position by path to use this new spline,  add a cameraUp command,  see how it looks,  splines especially helix type are awkward to work with.

When I originally did the wiki, I skippped over mobile camera stuff because most often they didn't do what I wanted, even now I can't get Camera Up By Nodes to do anything predictable so  can't write anything about it..

The  $AnimConstruct appears to be like the $constraints layer (which stores block marks),  TC/AL is using it to store its internal stuff.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 09:33:23 AM by Andy H »

* December 31, 2017, 04:43:24 PM
Ive got somewhat closer with the camera rotating around and object but its clearly not right yet, dont understand why it jumps around so much. So Im just trying to rotate a mobile camera around these stationary test objects is SE view.

Can anyone solve this?

Thanks Daz
TCW V21, 2016 & 2017 PP, Animation Lab V5, Graficalc, TCMap, TurboPDF V2-V3 & Lightworks mostly
Windows 10 Home ed. i7 @ 3400Ghz, 16GB, Nvidia 960GTX 4GB ram, 2TB HD, 500GB SSD & 128GB SSD

Good better best
Never let it rest
And your better is best

* January 01, 2018, 06:04:06 AM
Darryl,
Try it version 21 or 2015.
Something is screwy with your file and I think they said a fix is in the works  ;D
http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,21778.msg132441.html#msg132441

Hit the command 'Place to drawing center" before starting the animation.
attached is what I got.

Start a new file in 21 or 2015.
Don't save 2017 as 2015  ;D

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using Lightworks and Redsdk, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

* January 01, 2018, 01:51:32 PM
Dean can you please post that animation so that I have a reference in case I get stuck.

Thanks Daz

Good better best
Never let it rest
And your better is best

* January 04, 2018, 05:27:50 PM
Been busy setting up a new truck for my sons business and had little time to work with the camera. Ive still got the same fundemental problem of controlling a mobile camera and I find it very confusing to work with AL and the mobile camera. See the attached file in v21.

What I want todo is rotate the camera around a stationary object using a 3D spline but Ive had no luck with this, why is tcw 2017 unsuitable here? Would someone please post a v21 or v2016 sample source file or modify the v21 file here that I can use as the basis of getting this right?

Thanks Daz

Good better best
Never let it rest
And your better is best

January 05, 2018, 04:40:32 AM
I have just been experimenting with the above issues, and hope the following may give some insight into one way, it might be achieved.

Firstly, I would recommend trying the Scenario Preset, Orbit Horizontal, which is provided with AnimationLab.
Failing that, there are a number of ways to achieve fluid camera movement.

It's worth remembering, that if the animation paths, used by the camera object, are not smooth/consistent, the rendered image will look shaky.
The following can be achieved with either the built in MobileCamera or, by inserting a camera from TurboCAD, as an actor, but preferably not both.

To help with starting:

1. Create a helix around the object (a Cylinder, in this case) from base to top.

2. Create a helix in the opposite direction from top to base. This second helix 'should' overlay the first. (See attached image for dimensions used)

3. Place each helix on its own separate layer (recommended).

4. Explode both the above into splines.

5. Create two splines running centrally along the axis of the object, as above, one going up and one going down.  Place each on it's individual layer.

6. Now use the splines as paths, as per the camera in the attached drawing file.

Mix and match your own ideas, to suit.

Have fun!

Regards Tim
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 04:56:49 AM by Tim Stewart »

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions).

* January 05, 2018, 03:16:40 PM
Tim thanks for that so Ive now got a base top work from, with that sample can the view be set to anything other than front view, as Im leaning more towards a se view ( and when I test in se view its rotates around the vertical plane but also around a horizontal plane ).

Thats what I thought was wrong but this may turn out to be unique to AL, just wondering. Never tried the sterioscopic tab and or any setting but will explore it now.

So thanks, sometimes it just the lack of experience that holds me back with AL specifics.

Thanks Daz

Good better best
Never let it rest
And your better is best

* January 05, 2018, 03:22:40 PM
If I need to revert to an older version of tcw then in some cases I will most likely have to convert proprietary objects to a solid or surface thereby permitting backward compatability but I prefer using tcw2017PP because its consistent & the most reliable based on its feature set, so why not AL with this version?

Thanks Daz

Good better best
Never let it rest
And your better is best

January 06, 2018, 01:26:57 PM
    Here's another example.

Regards Tim

Hint:

1. Select front view.
    2. Render.
    3. Run AnimationLab scenario.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 04:12:52 AM by Tim Stewart »

Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions).

* January 07, 2018, 02:30:36 AM
Tim as I mentioned previously Im travelling by truck to Sydney and return.

Thats perfect in all respects and I must take me hat to ya mate. Bloody brilliant thanks so much.

Thanks Daz

Good better best
Never let it rest
And your better is best

January 07, 2018, 02:59:44 AM
Tim as I mentioned previously Im travelling by truck to Sydney and return.

Thats perfect in all respects and I must take me hat to ya mate. Bloody brilliant thanks so much.

Hi Daz,

rather you than me - I hope that truck has good air-conditioning, at the very least!  ;)
    Anyway, glad to help, if I can.

Regards Tim