TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Tracing a JPEG
Read 2191 times
* December 28, 2017, 08:31:50 AM
I am new to TC and CAD in general. I have the blueprints from a object that I would like to trace then convert to 3D and 3D print. I have the free version of TC deluxe 2017 64 bit. I am more than willing to buy this if I can achieve my goal. I have scanned the 2d print into a jpeg and pulled it into TC. I am trying to learn TC and find the tracing function.

Any help with Tracing and converting to 3D would be appreciated.

* December 28, 2017, 09:45:33 AM
Welcome

The trace option is only available in the 32 bit versions of TC, it never got translated to 64 bit,  BUT I don't have 32 bit 2017 installed so I don't know if its still there or not.

Personally I never found it suitable for accurate tracing,  Most people I believe just draw over their plans using lines polylines, splines etc.  however Deluxe does not have the necessary tools to create a 3D object from just lines and splines, for creating a solid type of object in deluxe  (called TC surface) polylines and splines need to be closed, i.e. no open ends.

If you can please post a small picture of the type of thing you are wishing to do there are many people here who I'm sure can advise you,  TC is versatile from drawing a nut and bolt, to drawing a house so a small picture of the plan and / or finished item is preferable.

Andy
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 10:33:18 AM by Andy H »

* December 28, 2017, 10:38:41 AM
Thanks for the rapid response. I can easily switch to 32 bit if needed. So let me give more details. I am a historic ship modeler I build most of my models in wood. I am currently working on a project of the USS Syren. One of the first ships of the US Navy. I would like to create a TC model of the Cannons & Carronades. It is my intent to 3D print the weapons. Attached you will find the JPEG of one of the Carronades.

* December 28, 2017, 10:54:21 AM
Thanks for the rapid response. I can easily switch to 32 bit if needed. So let me give more details. I am a historic ship modeler I build most of my models in wood. I am currently working on a project of the USS Syren. One of the first ships of the US Navy. I would like to create a TC model of the Cannons & Carronades. It is my intent to 3D print the weapons. Attached you will find the JPEG of one of the Carronades.

Referring to the picture you posted fnkershner:

The cannon itself should be pretty easy to trace and create in Deluxe.
If the plans don't provide dimensions of the cannon, that Scale (3/16"=1') they included sure helps (assuming that each segment in the scale measures on paper 3/16")-- as long as you can live with the precision not being a hundred-percent accurate.

As Andy said, it would be best just to trace over the cannon in TurboCAD Deluxe with a Polyline, using some Line segments and some Arc segments.
Then it's just a matter of using the 3D Revolve Tool to spin it 360° to make a 3D Object.  If or how well that TCSurface Object (ACIS Solids not available in Deluxe editions) will 3D Print, I don't know.

Someone-- maybe me-- will post an example Drawing file, using a Deluxe edition.

-Alvi9n
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 11:10:44 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 28, 2017, 11:08:36 AM
To learn how to scale-- re-size-- the Inserted* Image so that what you end up tracing will be as close as possible to the actual size, you will want to review this:  Don's TurboCAD Tip #1; "Scaling an Inserted Image"**, found at the very resource-ful Textual Creations site.

**Hyperlink to Don's TurboCAD Tip done so without Don's permission; I hope he doesn't mind.

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 28, 2017, 05:00:39 PM
I did the below in version-19 Deluxe, after having Inserted your provided Image and re-sized it to trace over.  -Alvin

Curious:  How large would you say that portion of the cannon which I created is?  About what do you see your 3D Printed dimensions of that object to be?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 05:03:18 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* December 29, 2017, 08:42:48 PM
Alvin!! How do I repay you? this is amazing. The final dimensions are 15/16" long. There are 3 things missing from your drawing. I can figure out how to do this. They are:
1. The mounting Pivot. At the bottom of my picture you will see that the Carronade is mounted to a Sled with a pivot point. the Pivot is 1/16" wide and 1/16" tall. So this part would be a simi circle with the diameter of 1/16" and a small hole in the center.
2. The back end has a small hole for the elevation screw. I need to see the back of your drawing.
3. The breech ring. This is the ring at the top in the back that holds the breeching rope to absorb the recoil. In this scale it might be too hard to include in the file. I can drill and add this after printing.

Let me attach some files to explain what I am talking about. Please this does not mean I want you to add them. you have already done so much. Maybe you can help me learn to add these items myself. I will be going to the print lab on the 6th. I am excited to try this out. How do I get a copy of your file?

* December 30, 2017, 08:10:39 AM
Hello fnkershner,

Attached is the Drawing file in which I created that example carronade.  It was made in version-19 Deluxe.  The rendering was done using Lightworks, so you won't be able to render it to look like mine without creating and/or assigning your own Material, Environment, etc.

At the time, I did not know the desired size of the model; so it is about 4" long.

Expect to spend hours of experimenting, learning, and eventual modeling before you achieve what you are trying to achieve (assuming you have little to limited experience in CAD modeling).

I don't know much of anything about 3D Printing, but I have to question-- as small as you are wanting this to be 3D Printed-- how much of the detail they can actually do.  I guess that's a question for your printing company and/or the 3D Printing Forum Board.  [edit:  I've been looking online; obviously the miniature cannonades can be 3D Printed]

-Alvin
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 07:14:43 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* December 30, 2017, 08:49:00 PM
Alvin - Thank you!

So you have generated several questions. I hope you don't mind.
1. What is Light Works? Is this a separate program I need to invest in?
2. What is the difference between version-19 Deluxe and 2017 Deluxe?
3. Can I 3D print it. Well this is the reason for the exploration. Since you have saved me tons of hours. We will see. there is a workshop here who offers time on their printers. I have seen samples of their work and I am hopeful. But You could be correct. Also the actual intent is to create a prototype and then create a mold. The final product will be molded in Resin.

I am beginning to see you are correct about the amount of time I will be investing. I have over 40 years experience working in Computers and Software. So I am very interested in the challenge.

December 31, 2017, 12:15:41 PM
I had a look at this. Based on what I could see on the drawing the thickness of the lower planks is 1/8". Scaling the model based on that it appears that the model is about 1.35" long.

I went ahead and printed a model to scale on my Makerbot Replicator 2X. It is pretty small and the small details are not much larger than the supports required to print the model so some pieces can break off. I didn't bother with a thread for the raise/lower mechanism. Attached are some printing images. You would need to do a lot of cleanup, perhaps even using a very small dremel 'grinder' for that. After a dedicated & detailed cleanup the 3D print may be suitable for additional mold making - if you could get it smooth enough.

I am currently printing a model 300 percent to see how that looks. I will post an image when it is done.

* December 31, 2017, 12:36:29 PM
I had a look at this. Based on what I could see on the drawing the thickness of the lower planks is 1/8". Scaling the model based on that it appears that the model is about 1.35" long.

I went ahead and printed a model to scale on my Makerbot Replicator 2X. It is pretty small and the small details are not much larger than the supports required to print the model so some pieces can break off. I didn't bother with a thread for the raise/lower mechanism. Attached are some printing images. You would need to do a lot of cleanup, perhaps even using a very small dremel 'grinder' for that. After a dedicated & detailed cleanup the 3D print may be suitable for additional mold making - if you could get it smooth enough.

I am currently printing a model 300 percent to see how that looks. I will post an image when it is done.

Quick question Don:  Did you do it in Deluxe?

I worked a considerable amount of time on it yesterday using V19Deluxe.  I researched a bit more on the Internet, and found another diagram or two of the 24-pounder carronades that Wikipedia says were the armament on the USS Syren.

Using Deluxe, the principal Revolve was easy enough, after a detailed trace-over.  The other two things in the back (forgot what each of them are called; I came across their names in my "research") were and still are more of a struggle in Deluxe.

-Alvin
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 12:40:25 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

December 31, 2017, 12:55:36 PM

Quick question Don:  Did you do it in Deluxe?

I worked a considerable amount of time on it yesterday using V19Deluxe.  I researched a bit more on the Internet, and found another diagram or two of the 24-pounder carronades that Wikipedia says were the armament on the USS Syren.

Using Deluxe, the principal Revolve was easy enough, after a detailed trace-over.  The other two things in the back (forgot what each of them are called; I came across their names in my "research") were and still are more of a struggle in Deluxe.

-Alvin

Good job on the research and modeling Alvin. No, I just used Pro. I was more curious about the size and seeing how it would 3D print.

December 31, 2017, 01:30:03 PM
Here is a larger print. Still a heck of a mess to cleanup because of the required supports. If I needed a good print I would probably try Shapeways since they use a different type of printing - but still at the small size done before, Shapeways would reject some of the parts as being too small.

December 31, 2017, 01:38:30 PM
Looks like Shapeways could do it with some materials.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 01:41:42 PM by Don Cheke »

* December 31, 2017, 04:23:17 PM
Print the barrel vertically in two parts it'd be cleaner and not need support at all, I reckon.  Sticking a couple of indexed parts together is quicker and easier than stripping, riffler files and wet'n'dry. 

* January 01, 2018, 07:59:36 PM
Attached is a version-19/Deluxe created file of the 24-pounder carronade.
It should be to scale for 3D Printing at 1:64 (3/16"=1').  It should 3D print okay.  I think we might have to Save as a .stl or something to send to the 3D Printer.

There's something a bit corrupt about the file.  Modelspace won't Quality Render without the 2D Profiles Layer being on.  Don't know what that's about.

There's a lot of tricks that can be used in Deluxe-- due to its limitation of using only TcSurface for 3D modeling.  I learned some tricks; but I'd rather model something with this much compound curves in a Pro version.
One thing I decided on this draft was:  If TcSurface is going to necessitate so much faceting anyway, why don't I forgo a lot of the curved elements and just draw them in Polylines; at least that gives me more control as to what the facets are.  That's how I did this draft-- for the most part.

I didn't model the screw threads in the level adjuster in the hole in the back.  I figured it would all get lost in such a miniature 3D Printing anyway.

Tomorrow is back-to-work Tuesday for me...  So, much less TC shenanigans for me for a while.  Happy New Year All!! -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* January 01, 2018, 08:02:44 PM
In my previous attachments the "LEFT" and "RIGHT" views are transposed.  Whoops.

I posted here because I didn't want to get caught and that FRUSTRATING CAPTCHA in modifying the previous Post.  -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* January 02, 2018, 05:02:02 AM
I figured a Sectional would be appropriate.  That's attached.  Also attached is the revised file, with the Sectional.  -Alvin
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 05:41:54 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

January 03, 2018, 05:41:54 PM
Any help with Tracing and converting to 3D would be appreciated.

Tracing is available in the 32-bit version of TurboCAD 2017 (menu location will vary with different Workspace definitions).

There is also Inkscape https://inkscape.org/en/, which is available for several operating systems, including 64-bit Windows.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* January 07, 2018, 04:21:58 PM
... I will be going to the print lab on the 6th. ...

Did you go to the print lab on the 6th?  If so, how did your 3D Print turn out?

Alvin Gregorio