TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Setting Coordinates At New Point
Read 1194 times
December 24, 2017, 08:20:55 AM

The manual is not working for me at all.

How do you snap to a point and have that be 0,0.0 in 3D from then on?

Merry Christmas! :)

Turbocad Deluxe 16

* December 24, 2017, 08:37:19 AM

Are you working with version-16 Deluxe? or version-2016 Deluxe?
If 2016, probably best if you changed your Profile signature to reflect that.

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 24, 2017, 09:37:47 AM

Seems that you are wanting to establish a new active Workplane (new User Coordinate System).
There are several Tools-- Commands-- to establish (and Save) a new Workplane (UCS).   Maybe for starters, you try "Origin".  Activate the (relocate Workplane) Origin command, and Snap to that point you want to be 0,0,0.

Workplanes is a BIG topic.  Probably should read up on Workplanes in your Help Documentation and/or watch a video or two.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 09:45:48 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

December 24, 2017, 10:40:30 AM

Alvin

It is Deluxe 16.

Have narrowed it down to 'Moving Objects in Select Edit'.

So there may not be any need to change coordinates.

We still are working on moving that axle.

Turbocad Deluxe 16

* December 24, 2017, 10:59:25 AM
Alvin
It is Deluxe 16.
Have narrowed it down to 'Moving Objects in Select Edit'.
So there may not be any need to change coordinates.
We still are working on moving that axle.

Well... If you're going to work in 3D-- create 3D models-- you're going to want to understand and know how to use Workplanes.

What are you trying to accomplish at the moment?... what prompted you to start this Topic thread?
In Replying, maybe it would be good time to share (upload/attach) your Drawing file in its current state.

Alvin Gregorio

December 24, 2017, 11:33:54 AM
Alvin

Sharing brain waves. Here's the drawing.

Want to use that 'Moving Objects in Select Edit'.

Axle needs to be 6" back and 6" up from front edge.

It needs to be centered.

Looking for a 'plain talk' explanation of how to do this please.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 11:58:15 AM by industrial designer »

Turbocad Deluxe 16

* December 24, 2017, 12:13:59 PM

Alvin

Sharing brain waves. Here's the drawing.

Want to use that 'Moving Objects in Select Edit'.

Axle needs to be 6" back and 6" up from front edge.

It needs to be centered.

The Drawing-- the Drawing File, ending with the .tcw extension-- wasn't attached in the last Post.  Just an image, showing the drawing.

>While it's selected, pick it up by its Reference Point (left-click on the Yellow Dot, at the intersection-point of the Selector rotation bars, release the left mouse button, start moving)
>With the axle picked up and moving, hover the cursor over the middle of that top/back edge of that just-created Box.  Type "M", to invoke a Middle-Point Snap (or use a Running-Snap Middle-Point Snap, if that's your preference)
>Delete the Box

--That is shown below, in the small video.  Click on it to get it to start.  Run it a few times.  Pay attention to the Inspector Bar, in addition to what the cursor is doing.

Alvin Gregorio

* December 24, 2017, 01:51:58 PM
Here is a simple example displaying how confusing it can be trying to understand Turbocads workplane system.
3D selector active working in World plane.
Select the box tool Shift+Tab set x,y,z fields at 0,0,0 hit enter then make box 12x12x12
Select the box tool Shift+Tab set x,y,z fields at 0,0,12 hit enter then make box 12x12x12
No problem but the 2nd box is at a distance of 12 from the current World Plane yet the Box’s current WP is at 0.
You can see this by selecting the 2nd box with the WP by entity active
Now,
Select the cylinder tool Shift+Tab set x,y,z fields at 0,0,24 hit enter then make the cylinder however you like.
No problem but the cylinder’s WP is at 24. You can see this by selecting the cylinder with the WP by entity active.
Why is the cylinder’s reference different than the box, I’m confused.
Wait, I’m not finished.
Select the cone tool Shift+Tab set x,y,z fields at 0,0,24 hit enter then create the cone by dragging the radius and height click and let go. I’m even more confused now because the cone snaps back down to the World plan.
What a mess
I always just stick with whatever works for whatever I’m doing. Knowing what tools are available helps but trying to make any sense of something that just confuses me more doesn’t make any sense.  ;D
Unless I’m missing something.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 01:54:12 PM by Dean »

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using Lightworks and Redsdk, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

December 24, 2017, 02:20:40 PM

Thank you!

Could not see Drawing in Windows 7 Pro.

It's a box 72x40x1 inches. It represents front subframe.

Axle is 60x2x2 inches.

Turbocad Deluxe 16

* December 24, 2017, 02:26:40 PM
Here is a simple example displaying how confusing it can be trying to understand Turbocads workplane system.
What a mess
I always just stick with whatever works for whatever I’m doing. Knowing what tools are available helps but trying to make any sense of something that just confuses me more doesn’t make any sense.  ;D
Unless I’m missing something.

I ran through your scenarios Dean in my version-20, and got the same results as you.
That is non-sensical, that's for sure.

My hunch is that industrial designer is completely unaware of even the basic concepts of Workplanes (User Coordinate Systems), and-- if he is going to be drawing a 3D model-- needs (should?) to have at least the most basic knowledge of Workplanes.  That is-- how to create new active Workplanes.

-Alvin
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 02:28:21 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio