TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Help please :( - Render issues
Read 1301 times
December 19, 2017, 08:34:06 AM
Hello,
Ok so I have a 3d cylinder and I am trying to make it looked knurled so I made the necessary profile and rotated that around the cylinder and the adjusted the pitch to make it travel the length of the cylinder.
I then copied this in counter clockwise and then copied them both around the cylinder.
I then proceeded to "3D Subtract" them away from the solid. all was goinf great until the last two spins to delete and I get this message.
"Material of the graphic(s) "Metals\Brass + Redsdk" will be ignored in render, because it is overriden by materials of graphic faces. To make this material visible you could remove materials from faces"
I hit ok but something strange happened, see attached, I can now see into the solid cylinder????

I don't understand.
Any help will be gratefully received.

James B

"Was" Using Plat Pro 2018
Windows 10 - 64-bit
Nvidia K620

* December 19, 2017, 09:14:18 AM
That's a tough one to comment on without seeing the file, first I'd try, copy the object and paste it into a new blank drawing and see if that redraws the geometry, if not can you post the file.

With regards the message - go to Options menu - Advanced preferences  and if its turned on - turn OFF 'Transfer material from operand on its facet' (its at the top of the dialog box),   that should stop it happening in the future but existing / old files will probably still show the warning,   what it means is that at some point TC thinks a part that had a material applied, was subtracted from the main part, and the material transferred from the second part onto the first (if that makes sense),  I always turn the transfer off as its more trouble than its worth.

December 19, 2017, 09:43:04 AM
Hi Andy,

Thank you for the quick reply on this one. I have recreated the issue on the attached file.
Here I have just made a Cylinder and again rotated a polyform around it, then copied that form to give as it is now.
I then start to "3d Subtract" and I get around 4 removals before it starts becoming see-through ??!?!?!?!

Windows 10 - 64-bit
Nvidia K620

* December 19, 2017, 02:39:12 PM
Sorry James - I had a go with your file, and even remade it in a new file, and tried just doing half of it,  but I haven't got any solution, it broke for me every time no matter what I did,  hopefully someone else will have a go and have better luck than me.   

December 19, 2017, 02:53:32 PM
Sorry James - I had a go with your file, and even remade it in a new file, and tried just doing half of it,  but I haven't got any solution, it broke for me every time no matter what I did,  hopefully someone else will have a go and have better luck than me.   

Hi Andy,

thank you for trying :) I have had a few more goes at it, trying different ways of doing it but no joy yet :) I have decided to go with no knurl so instead i will go with it already wired :) hahahaha work around!!!

James

Windows 10 - 64-bit
Nvidia K620

December 19, 2017, 03:36:20 PM
I then proceeded to "3D Subtract" them away from the solid. all was goinf great until the last two spins to delete and I get this message.
"Material of the graphic(s) "Metals\Brass + Redsdk" will be ignored in render, because it is overriden by materials of graphic faces. To make this material visible you could remove materials from faces"
I hit ok but something strange happened, see attached, I can now see into the solid cylinder????

For this problem, invoke the Facet Edit command (it's location will depend on the user interface configuration, so I don't know precisely where you will find it, but it is usually under the Edit drop-down menu).

Once the command is active, click on the object having the problem.  A blue square will be added to the center of every Facet.  Click on any one of them, then hit <Ctrl><All> to select all of them.  Then, click <Ctrl> F to go into Properties and choose Material.  Select 'None', then 'OK'.  This will remove the Material assignment from each Facet, leaving only the Material assignment for the object.

The other problem (seeing inside the object) is because you 3D Subtracted something that was too large.  If you have the Editing History (under the Options / ACIS menu item) activated, use Selection Info to display the steps and delete the 3D Subtract operation.  Create a new, smaller profile for the knurl and use that.

If you don't have Editing History active, then you will to either Undo (if available) or recreate the object in its entirety.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* December 19, 2017, 04:28:34 PM
The Subtract problem seems to be caused by the fact that all the 3D entities are Surfaces. I base this conclusion upon a test I just ran: Opened James' drawing, copied everything, and pasted into an empty Pro drawing. Had the same problem with Subtraction. Then I pasted the original objects (from James' drawing) into Pro again and converted them all to ACIS Solids. This time the result of subtracting all of the Spins from the cylinder looked just fine. (Don't know why Surfaces cause a problem.)

Henry H
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 06:53:49 PM by Henry Hubich »

* December 19, 2017, 05:11:58 PM
James, I don't know if you're aware-- Don Cheke, Textual Creations, posted a tutorial on modeling knurling here.

I've seen it advised on these forums that if you are wanting to end up with a rendered view, and don't care what it looks like in Wireframe or Hidden Line render, to maybe forgoe actually modeling the knurling, and just use a knurling Material.

Don Cheke's videos should cover it all.  Don's videos can be quite (quietly) entertaining and definitely informative to watch.

Don also posted a video segment on knurling here; I think this one uses the knurling Material option.

-Alvin
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 06:54:48 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 19, 2017, 05:20:02 PM
For this problem, invoke the Facet Edit command (it's location will depend on the user interface configuration, so I don't know precisely where you will find it, but it is usually under the Edit drop-down menu).

I don't think that's available in deluxe Jeff,  (I could be mistaken)

* December 19, 2017, 09:14:53 PM
Hello,
Ok so I have a 3d cylinder and I am trying to make it looked knurled so I made the necessary profile and rotated that around the cylinder and the adjusted the pitch to make it travel the length of the cylinder.
I then copied this in counter clockwise and then copied them both around the cylinder.

I don't understand.
Any help will be gratefully received.

James B

James,
The cylinder wall needs to be thick enough so the 3d spin subtract doesn't cut through the inner wall of the cylinder.
Try subtracting two cylinders creating a tube object then cap the ends if you want them closed.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using Lightworks and Redsdk, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

* December 20, 2017, 02:40:52 AM
Intersecting a twisted extrusion with its mirror negative, ie another twisted extrusion with the  angle negative, so it remains associated and can be updated, creates a knurl, too.  Using something like a polygon or stellated polygon with compound profile enabled as the profile, the knurl can be adjusted through the part tree and twisted extrude parameters in selection info.  Fun to play with...

mirror copies aren't associative, the negative twist figure has to be entered.  If twisted extrusion isn't available in your version, revolve with pitch will do it too.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 11:15:10 AM by murray dickinson »

December 20, 2017, 12:04:51 PM
Thank you everyone for the comment and suggestions

Jeff/Henry, I am using Deluxe for I don't see the options you are talking about? Facet Edit?? Converting from Surface to solids? Etc...

Alvin, Don Cheke, that is the video I watched when I first started trying to make a Knurl ahhahahah :) His vids are great :)

Dean - I am using a solid cylinder for the depth of cut shouldn't matter at all?
Murray - I dont think that is available in deluxe?

James B

Windows 10 - 64-bit
Nvidia K620

* December 20, 2017, 12:52:02 PM
Thank you everyone for the comment and suggestions

Jeff/Henry, I am using Deluxe for I don't see the options you are talking about? Facet Edit?? Converting from Surface to solids? Etc...

Alvin, Don Cheke, that is the video I watched when I first started trying to make a Knurl ahhahahah :) His vids are great :)

Dean - I am using a solid cylinder for the depth of cut shouldn't matter at all?

James B

Unfortunately, James, you cannot convert to Solid in Deluxe.

Henry H

* December 20, 2017, 03:48:46 PM

James B

In your case James, it did matter.
> the method I used worked in Deluxe.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using Lightworks and Redsdk, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

* December 20, 2017, 10:18:36 PM
using Deluxe for I don't see the options you are talking about? Facet Edit?? Converting from Surface to solids? Etc...

James B

That occurred to me after I'd mentioned it, James.  I think you can revolve with pitch though, which means something like a multistart worm is doable, and mirror-able, and able to be intersected with its mirror, but there'd be a lot of experimentation without the aid of associative parameters to jockey things with.