TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Fillet on 3D odject in Deluxe?
Read 564 times
* December 16, 2017, 10:44:34 AM
Hello,
I have TC Deluxe 21.2. I drew up some plans for a barn in 2D. I decided to make them 3D and used the simple extrude tool. All was well but then decided I needed to add a fillet to the wood pieces because the sharp corners made the pieces merge together and you couldn't tell one pieces from another. I can do a fillet on a 2D then use a simple extrude tool to make the piece and it looks good, but can't do the fillet after the piece is extruded. I really don't want to redraw the entire barn. Is there a work around for an object already extruded in Deluxe?

skeeter

* December 16, 2017, 11:34:50 AM
Hello,
I have TC Deluxe 21.2. I drew up some plans for a barn in 2D. I decided to make them 3D and used the simple extrude tool. All was well but then decided I needed to add a fillet to the wood pieces because the sharp corners made the pieces merge together and you couldn't tell one pieces from another. I can do a fillet on a 2D then use a simple extrude tool to make the piece and it looks good, but can't do the fillet after the piece is extruded. I really don't want to redraw the entire barn. Is there a work around for an object already extruded in Deluxe?

skeeter

It's a question that is asked often by Deluxe Users.
Nope, no Tool in Deluxe for filleting or chamfering the edges of 3D Objects.  (I am not sure if that is accurate in more recent versions of Deluxe; I haven't worked with them.)

You can either:
>Create some sort of an object-- via an Extrude or Rail Sweep (Rail-Sweep in Deluxe can be a bit finicky, with multiple edges of an object)-- that you use to 3D Boolean Subtract the fillet shape from the wood pieces;

or

>Hopefully, many of your wood pieces are Blocks.  Edit the Blocks' Contents either as you described (re-draw the 2D Profile Object, then Extrude), or as I just described above.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 05:47:29 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 16, 2017, 06:26:02 PM
Attached is an example file created in version-19 Deluxe, showing the method I described in my previous post-- creating 3D Objects to subtract from the "wood pieces", to fillet the edges of those "wood pieces".

One group shows using an Extrusion, copied onto four edges of a 2x4 stud, ready for 3D Subtracting.

The other group shows using a Rail Sweep along all four of the edges on the top side of a 2x4 stud (that's not as would be in real-life).  I copied the Rail Sweep to the bottom side.  This is now ready for 3D Subtractions.

In the Attributes section (Properties/General window/page) of each of the objects, I put in a little note of what they are and what their purpose is.

Most Deluxe Users-- including you skeeter_ca-- probably already know how to do this; but I was bored.  -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)