TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

TEXT ON A CURVE USING V21
Read 339 times
* December 10, 2017, 10:55:24 AM
I was drawing round gauges for my model boat and I drew them 1" diameter sized but right now did not know the exact size. So I thought I would be able to scale the size down to approximately 3/8" and 1/4" later on. I drew them with lines and hatched in coloring and text and text on a curve  where needed with a black background and white lines. Now when I went to reduce the size that scale them down the text on a curve did not scale down in some cases it went upside down and did not scale down. Did I  do something wrong or does text on a curve not scale down? These are strictly 2D.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 07:07:03 AM by to »

* December 10, 2017, 11:21:09 AM
I was drawing round gauges for my model boat and I drew them 1" diameter sized but right now did not know the exact size. So I thought I would be able to scale the size down to approximately 3/8" and 1/4" later on. I drew them with lines and hatched in coloring and text and text on a curve  where needed with a black background and white lines. Now when I went to reduce the size that scale them down the text on a curve did not scale down in some cases it went upside down and did not scale down. Did I  do something wrong or does text on a curve not scale down?

Hello to.  With questions like this, it's best to upload/attach the Drawing file so others are able to see what's going on, and communicate with you more effectively.  Could you share the Drawing file please.  Thanks- Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 10, 2017, 12:18:13 PM
Text on curve is not like normal text, as far as I can tell its internally controlled and linked to the circle/arc, although one can alter the circle size, the text size is fixed at whatever one chose when it was created,  that's possibly why there is no text adjustment in the selection palette - this is just a guess though going off what I can see.....

You can explode the text once (before scaling the dials), this will convert the text into individual characters which will scale as required,  though you may have to jiggle the odd character which goes out of place.

just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 12:31:43 PM by Andy H »

* December 10, 2017, 12:30:00 PM
In version-21 (and probably other versions), I could not get the Text Along a Curve font to straightforwardly scale.  I have to go into its Properties and manually change it.

The Text Along a Curve Object will scale; but not the font itself, without manually changing it.

If I scale the associated Circle or Arc, the Text Along a Curve Object will scale sort of correspondingly, but the font stays as per the Properties settings.  Which can make for quite a mess.

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 10, 2017, 12:35:50 PM
Good-looking gauges, by the way

Alvin Gregorio

* December 10, 2017, 12:46:17 PM
I was drawing round gauges for my model boat and I drew them 1" diameter sized but right now did not know the exact size. So I thought I would be able to scale the size down to approximately 3/8" and 1/4" later on. I drew them with lines and hatched in coloring and text and text on a curve  where needed with a black background and white lines. Now when I went to reduce the size that scale them down the text on a curve did not scale down in some cases it went upside down and did not scale down. Did I  do something wrong or does text on a curve not scale down?

Are these dial faces strictly 2D or will they become 3D?
If 3D, you might be better off laying out everything along a straight line (the circumference on the gauge face), then Extrude and Bend to a 360° angle.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* December 11, 2017, 05:58:36 AM

Try the "drop link' command in the local menu.
You should be able to scale the "text along curve" in the x and y axis yet keep most of the "text along curve" properties.

>select the"graphic" you used and the text
> right click to local menu

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2016-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21(Best working version,IMHO) Using Lightworks for reliability/stability and testing redsdk, Anilab lab 5, Renditioner Pro V3. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

* December 13, 2017, 07:34:56 AM
Here is what I did. I tried the drop link command but it did-associates everything and I still could not get it to work (change size). I tried the explode command and that work's and each curved  text then is  one letter not a group so it was a lot of work. So I am going to delete the curved text and reduce size of everything else as that works for everything else then add curved text when all else is reduced to the size I need. Thank you everyone for all the help I did learn some things I didn't know about and may help in the future.

* December 14, 2017, 10:41:15 AM
DUH! I figured it out you can change them here is how..
Pick your text on a curve --properties-(list) pick other-text properties(in window) button to page ( beneath it). you can change anything about it. the regular text properties and curved text properties are in different areas .Try it  works great! the window you used to create curved text comes up.

* December 14, 2017, 12:34:38 PM
DUH! I figured it out you can change them here is how..
Pick your text on a curve --properties-(list) pick other-text properties(in window) button to page ( beneath it). you can change anything about it. the regular text properties and curved text properties are in different areas .Try it  works great! the window you used to create curved text comes up.

You can also place multiple instances on a curve/circle.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit