TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Creating Re - Useable Letter & Characters for Boolean Operations
Read 1722 times
* December 03, 2017, 04:03:27 PM
Want to create re - usableable letters or characters  from the standard Arial ( std 12.7mm) font where these letters or characters will be used as the basis ( of straight line or rotated text in future projects ) for extrusion and then subtraction from other solid 3D objects. Im hoping to eliminate as many nodes/facets as possible in the extrude result for each letter and character.

Is Arial the best font to use?     

What is the best method for creating the profile of each letter or character?
Just for clarity, how can I create smooth extruded letters or characters without excess facets?

fwiw: Ive tried the polyline tool (  sometimes Ive got it right, more by luck  than anything else ) and it works ok, but Im wondering if I should use other tools ( like the arc, bezier, elipse etc ) as well or is my approach just plain wrong trying to draw the profiles?

Thanks Daz
TCW V21, 2016 & 2017 PP, Animation Lab V5, Graficalc, TCMap, TurboPDF V2-V3 & Lightworks mostly
Windows 10 Home ed. i7 @ 3400Ghz, 16GB, Nvidia 960GTX 4GB ram, 2TB HD, 500GB SSD & 128GB SSD

Good better best
Never let it rest
Until your good is better
And your better is best

* December 03, 2017, 04:09:03 PM
There were pages on this subject in the TurboCAD Wiki.  Forum members would have probably steered you towards those, for starters.

It really sucks that all that information that John, Andy, (and others?) went through all the time and effort to generously create and share is now gone-- seemingly forever.

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 03, 2017, 04:41:04 PM
Explode and convert flexible to curve, extrude or cone, maybe some simple font is "best", but what's the point if you can't choose any that pleases you.  If you're coning letters with islands and/or different width legs/strokes, best to split and do them separately, invert the draft of island cones and subtract.  The best results will depend on the font, the size of the text and the tolerance you're prepared to tolerate at the time of conversion.  You could run around chasing your tail forever trying to create libraries with figures that will mostly never be used.  Diminishing return IMO.   
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 05:04:03 PM by murray dickinson »

* December 03, 2017, 04:45:06 PM
Thanks Alvin, gee wiz Im a goose. I thought there was something more fundamental in the howto design and create the text and I just plain forgot that I had the answers on my pc's 1TB usb hard disk. Info overload!

Ive already downloaded all the: TurboCAD Community _ Beginners guide to 3D text 1.pdf to
TurboCAD Community _ Beginners guide to 3D text 8.pdf files.

So if the authors are ok I will upload here so that others can benfit as well?
( John R & Andy H and otehrs that I may have missed)

Thanks Daz
TCW V21, 2016 & 2017 PP, Animation Lab V5, Graficalc, TCMap, TurboPDF V2-V3 & Lightworks mostly
Windows 10 Home ed. i7 @ 3400Ghz, 16GB, Nvidia 960GTX 4GB ram, 2TB HD, 500GB SSD & 128GB SSD

Good better best
Never let it rest
And your better is best

* December 03, 2017, 04:51:56 PM
Maybe we should start a GoFundMe to bribe whomever to bring the Wiki back to life.   ;) :-\

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 03, 2017, 04:57:22 PM
If I recall correctly, John R. already has a bunch of Text traced over into Polylines and such.

You know how generous he is-- he'll probably share what he's got with you.  Heck, he might have already done so for someone else, and they're already uploaded to the Forum.  [Edit]:  Yeah, he did share them already; I have them in my Symbols sub-Folder which is named "John R".  The Symbols Library he shared is named "Arial 3D font".
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 05:00:03 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* December 03, 2017, 05:06:32 PM
I'd trace an existing font, using Lines, Polylines, and Splines. I wouldn't worry about reproducing the font precisely. Arial seems like a fairly easy font to work with.

Henry H

* December 03, 2017, 05:14:20 PM
Alvin I did a search on Arial 3D font but could not find the forum topic?

What did I do wrong.

Thanks Daz

Good better best
Never let it rest
And your better is best

* December 03, 2017, 05:29:09 PM
Alvin I did a search on Arial 3D font but could not find the forum topic?

What did I do wrong.

You didn't do anything wrong Darryl.  I assume John shared it on a thread that had a different Subject line, and he perhaps put it in a .zip folder.
Let's see if I can find it, while we're waiting on John to reply here.

Alvin Gregorio

* December 03, 2017, 05:29:59 PM
Thanks Alvin

Thanks Daz

Good better best
Never let it rest
And your better is best

* December 03, 2017, 09:50:41 PM
Here's my Arial file and one for "Bauhaus Md BT" in the Zip file.

Unzip and place the two SLW files in your "…Documents\TurboCAD 2017 Professional x64\Symbols\My Symbols" directory.
Go to "My Symbols" in the Library Palette.
If "My Symbols" doesn't show these two folders ("Arial 3D Font" & "Bauhaus Md BT") in the palette window, right-click and choose "Reload Library".
These two libraries should show up after reloading.

When the Symbol is inserted into the drawing, it comes in as a Group; I usually leave the symbol(s) as is until I need to Scale up/down as one selection.
The Arial file was made long ago where everything was formatted to a Region. Once the region is exploded ‘one time’, you should be left with Lines, Arcs, Ellipses & Elliptical Arcs.
The Bauhaus file was done a couple of years back and has just Lines-n-Arcs, etc. inside the Group. I rarely use polylines, except where it may be all straight line segments.
Since this is for Platinum, I use the "Use Compound Profile" option when extruding. When I activate the Simple Extrude tool, I'll enter a Height and Lock in the value (Ctrl+L).
I'll hold the "Shift" key and start selecting the items to be extruded.
When finished selecting, I'll Tab into the Height field and "Enter". I found if I selected first (where I had a large amount of items to select, then attempted to insert a Height value, it could be "minutes" between each number/period. With the number already inserted, hardly any waiting to start the extrusion process.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 09:55:33 PM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* December 04, 2017, 12:41:45 AM
John R thanks so much for your generosity, just like Alvin said, Wow. :o

Thanks Daz

Good better best
Never let it rest
And your better is best

* December 04, 2017, 06:06:57 AM
I'd trace an existing font, using Lines, Polylines, and Splines. I wouldn't worry about reproducing the font precisely. Arial seems like a fairly easy font to work with.

Henry H

Why trace the letters?  What I do with a string of text is explode them 3 times. This will break it down from text to a group of graphics, then to individual objects, and finally separate the pen from the brush. Then I select and delete the brush which leaves me with an outline of the text. This outline can then be extruded, scaled, or whatever is needed.

My guess is that's what John R did for his file.

TC 21 Deluxe, TC 20 Platinum, TC 2015 Platinum, TC 2016 Platinum, TC 2017 Platinum
i7- 3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4 GHz, 16G Crucial Ballistic, ASRock Extreme 4, EVGA 1060 SSC, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

* December 04, 2017, 07:34:24 AM

Henry H

Why trace the letters?  What I do with a string of text is explode them 3 times. This will break it down from text to a group of graphics, then to individual objects, and finally separate the pen from the brush. Then I select and delete the brush which leaves me with an outline of the text. This outline can then be extruded, scaled, or whatever is needed.

Obviously Not Henry, but my reasons for tracing the font (with splines) is,  to avoid faceting, clean edges for blending,  and provide single directional scaling.

* December 04, 2017, 08:13:34 AM

Henry H

Traced letters can be made a lot simpler than standard font characters. They produce smoother extrusions and are much more amenable to various Boolean operations.

Henry H
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 08:18:35 AM by Henry Hubich »

* December 04, 2017, 12:18:06 PM

Henry H

Traced letters can be made a lot simpler than standard font characters. They produce smoother extrusions and are much more amenable to various Boolean operations.

Henry H

I agree. Using the "Fillet Edges" tool on my custom Bauhaus text was a lot easier to do and immensely better looking without all sorts of facets in the mix.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* December 05, 2017, 03:20:20 AM
Ive already downloaded all the: TurboCAD Community _ Beginners guide to 3D text 1.pdf to
TurboCAD Community _ Beginners guide to 3D text 8.pdf files.

So if the authors are ok I will upload here so that others can benfit as well?
( John R & Andy H and otehrs that I may have missed)

Daz,   Can you send it to me first so I can check it over,   I did some amendments but don't know if you saved it before or after.

you already have my e-mail address.
Thanks

Andy

* December 05, 2017, 10:53:14 AM
Want to create re - usableable letters or characters  from the standard Arial ( std 12.7mm) font where these letters or characters will be used as the basis ( of straight line or rotated text in future projects ) for extrusion and then subtraction from other solid 3D objects. Im hoping to eliminate as many nodes/facets as possible in the extrude result for each letter and character.

Is Arial the best font to use?     

What is the best method for creating the profile of each letter or character?
Just for clarity, how can I create smooth extruded letters or characters without excess facets?

fwiw: Ive tried the polyline tool (  sometimes Ive got it right, more by luck  than anything else ) and it works ok, but Im wondering if I should use other tools ( like the arc, bezier, elipse etc ) as well or is my approach just plain wrong trying to draw the profiles?

Darryl,
The extruded curve will be smooth when you "see" and "create"a 'Triangulated mesh" in the "curve area". Experiment with the"Tolerance values" in the convert to curve options. After doing it 100 times, ;D you'll see how it works. 
ACIS 'degenerative faceting" is off.
So you explode the text down to lines > Auto join polyline > convert to curve > extrude
or you might even discover a different way to get the "triangulated mesh"
I think forum member "Darrel Durose" discovered that ACIS preview.  :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:14:16 AM by Dean »

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using Lightworks and Redsdk, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

* December 05, 2017, 02:40:02 PM
Thanks Dean for your excellent tips.  ;D

Thanks Daz

Good better best
Never let it rest
And your better is best

* December 08, 2017, 12:56:05 PM
Andy sorry for the delay I guess I just overlooked your request.

Thanks Daz

Good better best
Never let it rest
And your better is best