TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Assemble By Three Points
Read 1448 times
December 01, 2017, 11:12:42 AM
Looking to place axles in this drawing.

Is 'Assemble By Three Points' the right way to do this.

Happy Holidays!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 11:22:49 AM by industrial designer »

Turbocad Deluxe 16

* December 01, 2017, 02:31:18 PM
I think I'd use the three Pos fields in the Inspector Bar to place a specific point on the axle the correct distance from a specific point on the frame.

Henry H

* December 01, 2017, 02:44:42 PM
No.  There are no visible features in that screenshot to locate an axle that I can see.  TC is feature-based CAD, the "right" way to build things is in situ, located relative to other features of your part or assembly from the start.  Modelling them separately means that dimensions that determine the fit have to be done twice and correlated afterwards, an invitation to error. 

December 02, 2017, 11:39:43 AM
Mr Henry Hubisch

'I think I'd use the three Pos fields in the Inspector Bar '

Okay. Are you hinting around to place construction points?.

My beloved construction points from Autocad Generic CADD? Circa 1995.

Happy Holidays!

Turbocad Deluxe 16

December 02, 2017, 11:43:25 AM

Mr Murray Dickinson

Thank you.

Will see about doing next drawing that way.

I do get the feeling occasionally I am missing something.

Layers and all that.

Happy Holidays!

Turbocad Deluxe 16

* December 02, 2017, 05:53:27 PM
Mr Henry Hubisch

'I think I'd use the three Pos fields in the Inspector Bar '

Okay. Are you hinting around to place construction points?.

My beloved construction points from Autocad Generic CADD? Circa 1995.

Happy Holidays!

No sir, Mr. Industrial Designer; I don't even know what construction points from Autocad Generoc CADD are. I simply meant that you should decide what part (or feature, or point) of the axle ought to be located accurately with respect to what part (or feature, or point) of the frame -- and then make use of the Pos fields to put the axle where it belongs.

I'd do it like this: Move the Reference Point of the frame to the desired part (or feature, or point) of the frame. Then make sure that both of the Coordinate System options in the IBar's 3D Selector Properties are set to "User." Select the frame and click the "Set UCS by Selector" icon on the IBar (this will reset the three Pos fields to zero). Move the Reference Point of the axle to the desired part (or feature, or point) of the axle. With the axle selected, type into the three Pos fields the required X, Y, & Z offsets of the axle reference point with respect to the frame reference point.

Henry H

December 02, 2017, 06:45:11 PM

Mr Hubisch

'Move the Reference Point of the frame to the desired part (or feature, or point) of the frame'

Drawing starts at 0,0.0 Front left bottom corner.

How do I 'Move Reference Point'?

Turbocad Deluxe 16

* December 02, 2017, 06:52:43 PM

Mr Hubisch

'Move the Reference Point of the frame to the desired part (or feature, or point) of the frame'

Drawing starts at 0,0.0 Front left bottom corner.

How do I 'Move Reference Point'?

You want to move the Reference Point of the frame to some point on the frame itself. To do so, select the frame, press D on the keyboard, and snap the cursor to the desired point. Move the Reference Point of the axle to some point on the axle itself, using the same procedure.

Henry H

December 02, 2017, 07:02:23 PM
Mr Hubisch

See drawing. This is a stand in for frame so drawing does not get messed up attempting this.

Corner closest to you at bottom is 0,0,0

Hit control D and View changed.

EDIT

Hit D and nothing happened.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 07:04:01 PM by industrial designer »

Turbocad Deluxe 16

* December 02, 2017, 07:06:56 PM
Select the frame and hit D. The cursor will then change to look like a hand. Snap this cursor to the desired new Reference Point of the frame.

Henry H

December 02, 2017, 07:13:44 PM

Mr Hubisch

Selected frame.

Snapped to 0,0,0 to test.

I did not zoom in to get exactly on it.

The result is supposed to be like this?

Turbocad Deluxe 16

* December 03, 2017, 09:39:50 AM

Mr Hubisch

Selected frame.

Snapped to 0,0,0 to test.

I did not zoom in to get exactly on it.

The result is supposed to be like this?

Not sure. Just where on the frame would you like its Reference Point to be? (That is, do you want it on a corner, or the midpoint of an edge, or the very center of the frame ...or where?)

Henry H

December 03, 2017, 11:23:57 AM

Mr Hubisch

The axle is wider than the frame.

It should be centered.

It needs to go up and back from the front lower crossmember.

Are centerpoints the way to go?

Turbocad Deluxe 16

* December 03, 2017, 11:24:48 AM
I would simply change the active Workplane to be on one of the sides-- using Workplane by Facet or, preferably, Workplane by 3 Points (more control of the Origin and orientation, by using Workplane by 3 Points).

Then just use regular construction aids tools and geometry to pinpoint where to draw the axle.
   In the image shown below, I first changed the active Workplane using Workplane by 3 Points (you can see what the Workplane is, by looking at the User Coordinate System icon); then I used the Cylinder Tool to draw the axles, after first having used the Hole Tool to punch some holes for the axles.

-Alvin
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 11:26:24 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 03, 2017, 11:35:42 AM
Sorry industrial designer-- I just remembered that you are using version-16, and Deluxe edition.  You won't be able to open the Drawing file I attached in my previous Post.  Nor do you have the Hole Tool.  But, in principle, you could use my suggested advice-- Change the Workplane to the side, then use whatever method you wish to locate the center of the axles.  -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 03, 2017, 11:49:47 AM
I had assumed that the axles were already drawn. If not, then Alvin's suggestion is a good approach.

Henry H

* December 03, 2017, 12:26:07 PM
If the axles are already drawn, the first thing that comes to mind* is to draw a Box, starting from the vertex of that "front lower crossmember"; the Box being used simply as a construction aid in positioning and orienting (orienting rotation correctly of) the axle Object.

The box's Width being the width of the overall frame; the box's Length being the desired distance "back" from that vertex the center of the axle is to be; and the box's Height being the desired distance "up" from that vertex the center of the axle is to be.
Then select the axle Object, ensure its Reference Point is at the "Default" location, move it, Middle-Point-snapping it to that destination edge of the box.  Rotate the axle Object if needed, rotating the appropriate axis, and using an appropriate Snap to snap to the appropriate location of the Box.
Delete the Box.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 01:40:32 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

December 03, 2017, 12:50:07 PM

Mr Hubisch

The 'axle' is 2" x 2" x 60"

That's it! It's a mockup to test a couple things.

For the test drawing above with the flat box it can be 2x2x32"

How do we move 'axle' in relation to flat box?

Turbocad Deluxe 16

December 03, 2017, 12:54:00 PM

Alvin

I like the way you think. :)

My first plan was to draw 'posts' and put axle on top of posts. Then delete posts.

Thought I would deal with this 'locating in space' thing though.

The box is a little simpler cleaner way. Then delete box.

Turbocad Deluxe 16