TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

TurboCAD Thumbnail Checker
Read 305 times
* November 24, 2017, 10:36:19 AM
Tool for verifying version of the installed TurboCAD Thumbnail Libraries.

In TC 2016 the bug in TurboCAD Thumbnail Library (TCThumbnail.dll) was found and fixed.

If there are a few installed versions of the TC, and the last installed version is older than TC 2016, then all others TC versions will be unstable. The crash is appear after executing of any file's dialog with thumbnails after a few minutes independent from user's activity (see "More detailed bug description" ).

To determine the libraries version please run the following tool.

More detailed bug description:
1.   Install TurboCAD 2017 x 64
2.   Run, close TurboCAD 2017
3.   Install TurboCAD 2015 x 64
4.   Run, close TurboCAD 2015
5.   Run TurboCAD 2017
6.   File\Open
7.   In open dialog set View Menu: Extras Large icons
8.   Navigate to a directory with TCW files
9.   Wait 70 – 90 sec

See attached TCPreview ceash.mp4

Vlad
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 10:39:58 AM by Vlad Veselov »

* November 25, 2017, 04:38:51 AM
Thanks for that Vlad,  mine passed which is not surprising as I  installed the full update to v24 (build 62.2) earlier this week after it was posted on the forum.

I do sometimes re-install older versions when they start to misbehave,  would this sort of thing explain why - when I open some older versions it automatically opens the last file worked on, even though 'Last working file' is not ticked in program set-up,  I was thinking it was some problem with my Window 10 installation but as its not a big problem I haven't bothered trying to find out why it happens.

* November 26, 2017, 03:33:24 PM
I do sometimes re-install older versions when they start to misbehave.
Andy,

Indeed, as far as I know, advanced users use several TC versions, there are good reasons for this.
We "buried" this problem a couple of years ago, but it as a zombie regularly rise from the grave :)
It is enough to install the "old" TC version.

I was thinking it was some problem with my Window 10 installation
Yes, this ghost has an interesting psychological "feature" that allows him not to leave traces in bug reports.

Usually the user assumes that the problem lies in his current actions (habitual scenario), e.g.
 - file open -> print
 - file open -> open render manager
etc. or as in your case, installing the new soft / update.

That is, this bug is able to pretend to be other bugs. I'm sure he is responsible for most instant (non specific) crashes.
That's why I think that the new tool will be useful.

Vlad

* November 26, 2017, 03:38:01 PM
Thanks Vlad, this is the sort of help with tracking down bugs that we need, so important,

Thank you again.

Thanks Daz ( Darryl )
Using TCW 2015, 2016 & 2017 Platinum, Animation Lab V5, Graficalc, Lightworks mostly
Windows 10 Home ed. i7 @ 3300Ghz, 16GB, Nvidia 960GTX 4GB ram, 2TB HD, 500GB SSD & 128GB SSD

Good better best
Never let it rest
Until your good is better
And your better is best

* November 28, 2017, 09:52:12 AM
Thanks Vlad, this is the sort of help with tracking down bugs that we need, so important,

Thank you again.
Welcome Darryl :)

Just in case this tool is an HTML Application (HTA) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML_Application with VBScript code.
This is a text file that anyone can edit and improve.

VBScript
Code: [Select]
    Const KEY_QUERY_VALUE = &H0001
    Const KEY_SET_VALUE = &H0002
    Const KEY_CREATE_SUB_KEY = &H0004
    Const DELETE = &H00010000

Const HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT     = &H80000000
    const HKEY_CURRENT_USER     = &H80000001
    Const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE    = &H80000002

Const strWarning = "Warning! This version can cause problems. It is recommended to install TC 2016(v23) and above. It is desirable that the newest version should be installed the last one."
    'VerFixed = 25

Const strDescription = "Thumbnail API Library"

strComputerName = "."

strPath32 = "-"
    strName32 = "-"
    strVer32 = "-"
    strClsid32 = "-"
    Ver32 = 24

strPath64 = "-"
    strName64 = "-"
    strVer64 = "-"
    strClsid64 = "-"
    Ver64 = 24

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:{ImpersonationLevel=impersonate}\\" & strComputerName & "\root\cimv2")

Function Window_OnLoad()
Window.ResizeTo 1000, 350
        GeneralPage()
End Function
Unfortunately whole script can not be shown because of the security/CAPTCHA on the forum, apparently captcha reacts to bad
words :)

But everyone can see the script independently in the text editor.

Vlad
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 09:55:41 AM by Vlad Veselov »

* December 02, 2017, 01:01:00 PM
A couple of years ago I had V17 open most days, and 64-bit V21 and 64-bit 2015 would crash frequently.  Somewhere along the way, I began habitually using cancel when opening TC, then using either open from folder search, recent file list or new file from template, not using thumbnails at all, and the crashing stopped.  Was my habit an accidental workaround?  This thread started by Youssouf Berthe described things: http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,18936.msg112377.html#msg112377