TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Is it just me?
Read 593 times
* November 23, 2017, 12:50:55 PM
I have been messing with this new (new to me) layers system, not digging it at all. I can't tell you how much time I've spent searching, posting, trying to get it to work with some sort of consistency. I'm very familiar with layer sets, but they aren't working like they should. Here's an example, I have my stemwall layer turned on in my foundation layer set, it shows to be on in design director, the layer template, the layer filter, the viewport, etc. It's not on! Secondly, I've created layer templates for the purpose of converting to black and gray, each time I change a color and move to the next, the previous color reverts to what it was.

Personally, I don't understand why there are so many layers tools, it feels as though they are cancelling each other out. I like the fact that you can create a template to recall settings for the purpose of printing. I like that you can sort through layers with filters. But it really feels like these things are broken. If anything, there should be step by step instructions on how to set this all up. I find bits and pieces all over the place but nothing that walks you through the process from beginning to end. I love this program, but it feels like some of these tools are being partially built then left before they are working as they should. I can't even get the layer sets to work like they used to. The worst part, if I don't catch the fact that some of these layers are off when I print (because it seems to be random), it's going to frustrate the customer, building department, etc. Any insight would be appreciated.

TurboCAD Pro Platinum 2017.5 64-bit version 24.5 build 57.4. Windows 10 Home - Intel Core i3-700 CPU @ 3.90 GHz - 64-bit OS, x64 based processor

* November 27, 2017, 05:18:18 AM
Apparently, it IS just me. Everybody seems to be real quiet about the subject of layers. I have finally found a way to get somewhat consistent results. Hopefully going forward this layers thing gets simplified. Or at least explained better. Online help literally says "New Layer Filter: Creates a new Layer filter. Assign a name to the filter then setup the filter in the Layer Filters dialog." That says nothing about what a layer filter is, how it works, it's purpose, it's advantages, etc.

TurboCAD Pro Platinum 2017.5 64-bit version 24.5 build 57.4. Windows 10 Home - Intel Core i3-700 CPU @ 3.90 GHz - 64-bit OS, x64 based processor

November 30, 2017, 12:53:29 AM
Personally, I have never done the research, but several people have discussed "Layers" and "Layer Sets" in various message threads.  Try using the Search function while at the top level of the Forum Index.

TC Pro Platinum 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* November 30, 2017, 03:12:51 AM
I use layer sets and layer templates. I tried layer filters but I seem to remember that they don't play nicely with layer sets.
Layer filters override layer sets (I think). So if you use them both you need to make sure that no filters are active if you want your layer sets to work.
So I use filters as a temporary solution to set up a layer set  - or for finding layers quickly -  make that a layer set and then I generally stick to layer sets.

TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* December 01, 2017, 10:14:30 AM
Jeff, I did use the search function here in the forum as well as Google. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be any step by step instructions on how to set everything up and how these things work with one another. As Nikki stated, they don't seem to play well with one another. It is as though they are two tools trying to do the same thing. I started using TC at V5, but dropped out for a while so some of these tools are new to me. I have found that I need to make sure all layers are visible prior to using sets, templates, or filters in order for them to funtion correctly. I have boiled it down to using sets to display in the viewport as well and changing views in model space/using templates for converting to black and gray for printing/and again as Nikki mentioned, filters to be able to quickly sort through the layers.

My opinion, the black and gray options as well as pen weights should be able to be assigned to viewports. Once set, you should never have to touch it again. Each page that you set up should remain exactly how you set it up. There is little use in changing colors to black and gray in model space. As it is now, I find layers randomly turning on and off unless I do all visable.... Constantly. This could be greatly simplified. And for someone who didn't see the changes and development of these tools, it's a nightmare trying to find all the information to help you wrap your brain around it. I have it working now but it was far from simple.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 10:16:17 AM by Kevin Mendenhall »