TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Model a 3D Object
Read 1609 times
* November 16, 2017, 02:49:57 PM
Whats the best approach to model the fuel tank on my old 1991 TT350 Yamaha?

As I want to add a new cover for the fuel tank and Im thinking that maybe the best approach is to model it, then create/make a fibreglass cover to slip over the top. The tank has faded over time and I suspect thats caused by the fuel ( unleaded ) and exposure to the sun.

Daz
TCW V21, 2016-2018 PP, Animation Lab V5, TurboPDF V2-V3 & LightWorks Rendering Engine mostly.

* November 16, 2017, 02:51:08 PM
Heres a picture.

Daz
TCW V21, 2016-2018 PP, Animation Lab V5, TurboPDF V2-V3 & LightWorks Rendering Engine mostly.

* November 16, 2017, 03:40:26 PM
Can you apply fiberglass directly over the existing tank (after cleaning it thoroughly)? If so, why bother to model it?

*EDIT* Are fiberglass (and the resin) fuelproof?

Henry H
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 03:45:31 PM by Henry Hubich »

* November 16, 2017, 04:23:08 PM
I reckon that it would be easier just to create a mould of the top half of the tank and then make it out of fibreglass. That way this half mould if ya like would/could slip just straight over the original tank so when cleaning the bike its easy to remove.

Putting fibreglass directly over the tank, hhmmm. That maybe an idea worth investigating, maybe even add a small 5mm ( 1/4 inch ) buffer between the tank and the cover that way the fibreglass does not contact the original tank directly.

Posted the other day on 3D web modelling and both Jeft and Murray commented, so Im wondering if that might work to get some accurate 3D model s of the tank. Modeling to get the correct sizing, what are your thought there Henry?

Daz

* November 16, 2017, 04:29:32 PM
Crickey Henry you are up late or what?

Daz

* November 16, 2017, 06:24:32 PM
Crickey Henry you are up late or what?

Not me. I live in Maryland, USA. At this moment it's 9:24 P.M. here.

Henry H

November 17, 2017, 01:47:30 AM
The tank has some complex curves, but with flat portions that you could measure with reasonable accuracy.  In my experience, the major dimensions are usually chosen to be integers, with the free-ranging dimensions of subordinate parts being arbitrarily chosen as integer multiples of 1/16 (in Imperial) or 1/100 (in Metric).  There are, of course, exceptions.

The problem is, of course, getting accurate measurements of those subordinate parts.

The first thing I would do is search for existing 3D models of your gas tank.  While seemingly unlikely, it's the fastest way to move forward if one already exists.

The second thing I would consider is a slip-over design that doesn't require precise measurements.  Maybe something that fits to the top of the tank and is secured somewhere on the frame below the tank.

The third thing to consider is renting a 3D Scanner (or hiring a service).  I can tell you that on-site scanning services here in Los Angeles are expensive ($700 for a project I considered earlier this year), but they at least include cleanup of the scanned data and delivery of a solid model instead of just STL.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* November 17, 2017, 01:57:18 AM
Nice tips Jeff I will search for a model of the fuel tank and see what I can find.

Daz

November 17, 2017, 03:21:02 AM
Daz,

hey, my kinda bike!

Would it not be less hassle, to just purchase a new tank?
    http://www.justgastanks.com/yamaha-tt350-clarke-fuel-tank/

Using a good releasing agent would resolve any reaction with the plastic tank, if you took a mold with glass and resin.
    You could try a poly-bag with urethane foam, to achieve the same female shape.
    Why not a soft cover?
    Get the old tank sprayed?

Alternatively, you might try photographs and trace into TC - cheaper, but less accurate, than 3D scanner.
    How much time have you got?  :)

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab.

* November 17, 2017, 12:28:09 PM
My kind've bike too.  I've got an old (even older than yours, Daz, '88) 650 Kawasaki that's wasting away somewhat because I'm not able to pick it up any more.  I'm looking for something with a lower CoG and @40kg lighter.  But check out this vid, it's an intriguing possibility for 3D sketching.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=254&v=vPkt55wNZhg  I wonder if ACIS deformable modelling might be used that way with a bit of setup.

* November 17, 2017, 02:13:42 PM
Tim a couple if years ago I rebuilt the bike top to bottom including the motor. Resprayed the lot and even made a cover from vinyl for the tank ( & seat ). Seat is still very good, tank not so good, the fuel seams to permeate through the plastic and it fades, hence the cover. Yep Ive seen the justgastaks site and that would cost around aud$450+.

Murray yep all 650s are quite heavy, I did have a yamaha 650 a few years back and it was a great bike but heavy. This one is really just right with its weight to power and I will keep it going for many years to come. One day in the not too distant future I hope to hitch a ride on a tuna fishing boat outa Cairns to Cape York and ride back to Cairns taking in part the old telegraph track plus others in the dry season ( 2 seasons in far north Queensland,  dry & wet ).

So Ive done next to nothing with any mesh tools so Im wondering ifthose tools will help me get a solution?
Murray when you say setup can you clarify your thoughts here?

Daz

* November 18, 2017, 02:46:57 PM
Murray I checked that video link last night and that is superb, Im wondering if imsi is likely to add these features in the near future as I see so many possibilities for this tool alone. The ease at which the demonstrator uses the toll sold me alone, just placing the discrete key operators onto the sketch and then watch it transform are stunning. WOW. ;D :o

Daz

* November 24, 2017, 04:30:08 PM
So I used an online service to model the fuel tank, the results were awful. Maybe I chose the wrong site and in disgust I deleted the resulting 3d model and just gave up as too hard to get good results. By chance I was speaking to my neighbour about this topic and he offered to help, so he took the fuel tank and 2 days later came back with a pencil like drawing on baking paper ( baking paper that they use in cooking ), he suggested that I scan the drawing then try working with that as the basis for the 3D model of a shell cover for the tank. But whats most impressive is his skill in capturing the shape of the tank, so I asked how he did it and he just said "someday".

I will get back to this once Ive completed other work commitments.

Daz