TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Chain Link?
Read 264 times
* November 21, 2017, 03:20:06 PM
Is there an easy way to create a Chain link fence Material?  I used a hash pattern but that seems to disappear once rendered.  I have a couple of weeks off, because of a foot surgery.  so, I am using my time to sharpen my skills at TC.  Thanks for any advice.  And advice on sharpening my skills.

TuboCad Deluxe 2015. 
Newbie, but Getting There.

November 21, 2017, 03:56:34 PM

* November 21, 2017, 04:06:52 PM
Is there an easy way to create a Chain link fence Material? 

Are you using Lightworks rendering engine (in which case Don't tip explains it well),  or are you using RedSDK (in which case things work just a tad differently).

* November 23, 2017, 09:02:08 AM
Im just using Redsk.  I am a novice, I havent moved up to light works.  Heck, I dont know much about Redsdk yet.  I am thinking on taking Dons TC deluxe traing, where he draws that caboose.  seems it would probably be benificial.  now that I have a descent understanding.  Does it go through materials and lightingwith Reddsk?  Maybe I should just contact him? 

TuboCad Deluxe 2015. 

* November 23, 2017, 03:34:46 PM
To be honest I've no idea if the attached file will work as I don't have v2015 deluxe, and it was e-packed (zipped) in pro.

Save the zip file where you normally have you TC drawings, use the normal windows method to unzip the file (right click it and extract all), open TC and navigate to the TCW file, if everything works, the materials included in the zip file will be found by the file.

The Fence effect uses two files that I downloaded from this forum (provided by Henry)

The fence was made by using the prism tool between two lines creating a 'sheet' (an object with zero thickness),   if you right click on one of the fence sections, and go to properties - Material - Edit,  the material dialog should appear, notice the 'Double sided' box is ticked, this is required when using a 'sheet' as an object, under Texture is the file name for one of the textures in the unzipped folder,  I used the image with a black background here, whilst this is not strictly necessary but I think it gives good contrast,  Refection is turned right down, (the slider is all the way to the left), as for the transparency effect, RedSDK uses white as a transparency colour so the texture applied is the one in the unzipped folder with a white background, RedSDK sees these white areas as Transparent when images are used as a transparency texture, the other settings in both Texture and Transparency are the Scale U and Scale V,  these are personal preference, they work opposite to what one would think,  the smaller the number makes the texture look bigger.

Hope it works ok.
Andy

« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 04:15:05 PM by Andy H »

* December 06, 2017, 01:26:37 PM
To be honest I've no idea if the attached file will work as I don't have v2015 deluxe, and it was e-packed (zipped) in pro.

Save the zip file where you normally have you TC drawings, use the normal windows method to unzip the file (right click it and extract all), open TC and navigate to the TCW file, if everything works, the materials included in the zip file will be found by the file.

The Fence effect uses two files that I downloaded from this forum (provided by Henry)

The fence was made by using the prism tool between two lines creating a 'sheet' (an object with zero thickness),   if you right click on one of the fence sections, and go to properties - Material - Edit,  the material dialog should appear, notice the 'Double sided' box is ticked, this is required when using a 'sheet' as an object, under Texture is the file name for one of the textures in the unzipped folder,  I used the image with a black background here, whilst this is not strictly necessary but I think it gives good contrast,  Refection is turned right down, (the slider is all the way to the left), as for the transparency effect, RedSDK uses white as a transparency colour so the texture applied is the one in the unzipped folder with a white background, RedSDK sees these white areas as Transparent when images are used as a transparency texture, the other settings in both Texture and Transparency are the Scale U and Scale V,  these are personal preference, they work opposite to what one would think,  the smaller the number makes the texture look bigger.

Hope it works ok.
Andy

Didn't work.  I don't think Deluxe supports it.  From the message I got.   Thanks any way.   It is appreciated.  Gives me some ideas.

TuboCad Deluxe 2015. 

* December 06, 2017, 01:40:16 PM
Sorry it didn't work, maybe one of the beta testers who has 2015 deluxe can come up with a compatible version, it should definitely be possible in 2015 deluxe. it works ok in 2016 deluxe so just needs someone to adapt it to 2015 deluxe, or post an alternative approach,  (RedSDK is slightly different in 2015 than 2016.

I don't think Henry uses RedSDK but Darrel, Dean, Majo and John all have access to it (I think)

* December 06, 2017, 04:36:02 PM
See if my "JohnR" file works. It was massaged in 2015 Deluxe. You'll need to change the "Wire2" image locations so they point to your computer.

It should look something like this. If all else fails, here are the material settings.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 04:39:50 PM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit