TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Smesh Object from Cylinder
Read 697 times
* November 18, 2017, 01:38:37 AM
Its straight forward to make a smesh object from a cylinder, but how can I get access to the structure like the help file shows when its a box primitive modified to a smesh?

Maybe Im starting from the wrong direction but I need a cylinder object to use for morphing in animation not a box object.

Thanks Daz
TCW V21, 2016 & 2017 PP, Animation Lab V5, Graficalc, TCMap, TurboPDF V2-V3 & Lightworks mostly
Windows 10 Home ed. i7 @ 3400Ghz, 16GB, Nvidia 960GTX 4GB ram, 2TB HD, 500GB SSD & 128GB SSD

Good better best
Never let it rest
Until your good is better
And your better is best

* November 18, 2017, 03:46:16 AM
If selection palette still classes the object as a 'cylinder' (even if 3D properties says Smesh), one needs to explode the object once to change it to an editable Smesh.

November 18, 2017, 05:18:21 AM
Hi guys,

I have just been playing with the cylinder (3-D object) and transforming to a SMesh Object.

It is important, possibly, to do this in the right order, as it's easy to get two completely different results, which may, or may not be of use.
    Both cylinders were initially created the same.

The green cylinder was exploded to an ACIS solid, converted to a SMesh Object under Properties and then set to Level 4 smoothness, in Selection Info palette.
    The red cylinder was converted to a SMesh object under properties, exploded and set to Level 4 smoothness, in the Selection Info palette.

To edit these SMesh Objects, select the Object/s and use the Edit Tool.

Regards Tim
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 05:47:11 AM by Tim Stewart »

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions).

* November 18, 2017, 01:25:30 PM
The green cylinder is what I got at my 1st attempt, the red cylinder is what I needed to finalise the vac advance animation. Seems I only needed to break apart one more time, crickey if I had of known that it would be finished.

Thanks Daz
TCW V21, 2016 & 2017 PP, Animation Lab V5, Graficalc, TCMap, TurboPDF V2-V3 & Lightworks mostly
Windows 10 Home ed. i7 @ 3400Ghz, 16GB, Nvidia 960GTX 4GB ram, 2TB HD, 500GB SSD & 128GB SSD

Good better best
Never let it rest
And your better is best

* November 18, 2017, 09:44:17 PM
So 3d mesh has a table of editable points other than that is there any difference with what I get from the cylinder is a smooth mesh object. Will that work with the morphing animation?

Thanks Daz

Good better best
Never let it rest
And your better is best

* November 19, 2017, 03:56:22 AM
Darryl,   by 'morphing' are you meaning the actual morph command in AL, or just as general term for changing the shape of an object.     I'll assume you mean the Morph command,

Short answer -

Smesh being relatively new , isn't programmed into AL and because of the way the morph command works it would be difficult if not impossible to program the Smesh to work in AL.  the 3D mesh is a 'legacy' object and programmed in many years ago, probably just by keeping track of the node positions.

I've never taken a vacuum advance unit apart so to be honest I no idea where the 'cylinder' you making comes into it or how it should animate.