TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Converting to black / grayscale for printing
Read 224 times
* November 17, 2017, 06:09:28 PM
I've been reading some older threads and apparently you can convert to black through layer filters? I believe it was nikki that was using this technique. Can someone please enlighten me on a simple process in which you can use multiple layer colors for model space and covert to black and gray for printing without manually changing the layer colors?

I did use the drafting pallet for some sections and really liked the fact that you could change the pen color to black, I'm going to experiment with this and see if there is a way to do this with 2D entities.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:12:06 PM by Kevin Mendenhall »

TurboCAD Pro Platinum 2017.5 64-bit version 24.5 build 57.4. Windows 10 Home - Intel Core i3-700 CPU @ 3.90 GHz - 64-bit OS, x64 based processor

* November 17, 2017, 09:18:21 PM
Have you tried the "Color Mode" section in the Print dialog? I can get Gray and Black output when in Wireframe. In a render, it's either Normal or Gray; Black seems to be broken.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* November 17, 2017, 09:42:54 PM
Hi Kevin
I use layer templates because I am lazy and often use white to hide things. If you set the print to black,  white prints black.

So this works for me.
 As I do architectural drawing I always use the same layers with the same settings. All the presets are set to line weight by layer and colour  by layer. layer templates are saved outside a drawing so you can use them in any drawing. It is also easy to switch between a black and white drawing and a coloured drawing by just changing the layer template.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* November 18, 2017, 06:51:52 AM
Hello Kevin.  I assume in searching the Forum for past threads on the subject, you came across my and Nikki's discussion on the topic.

I use* Print Styles-- never did get in the habit of using Nikki's method, which also seems a good way to go.

_______
*at least, I used to use Print Styles-- back when I was doing architectural drawings for an income source.  My occupation of the past 2½ years has nothing to do with CAD.
  The printing to Black and Grays was especially effective in communicating in additions and remodels plans.  Perhaps I can/will later dig up and share a sample file.  -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* November 18, 2017, 03:40:28 PM
Hi Alvin, Nikki, and John, I searched again today and just found that thread. I was able to get Nikki's technique to work, and I can't say it strongly enough, great job Nikki! And I use white a lot as well, which is why I have been trying to steer away from "convert to black" as John suggested. Actually just using white background in my text these days. In the past I would do convert to black and would get horrible results because of the white brush. The big thing that I have been trying to accomplish is to use black pen for the things that need attention, and graying out other things so as to add a level of cleanliness to my drawings. Such as a gray floor plan with dark lines for everything that pertains to the roof for the roof plan. I've attached the floor plan of the plan that I have been working on as an example. I have been trying to get this effect for a long time. You guys have some great information in here, I wish it could all be organized into videos. I used to do tutorials for TC but have been away from it for so long that I am trying to catch up on the progress that has been made in the last decade. Thank you guys so much!

TurboCAD Pro Platinum 2017.5 64-bit version 24.5 build 57.4. Windows 10 Home - Intel Core i3-700 CPU @ 3.90 GHz - 64-bit OS, x64 based processor