TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

mower engine (building)
Read 1797 times
* November 17, 2017, 03:56:57 PM
About 3 month ago, my next door neighbour was throwing away and old broken lawnmower, so I took loads of pictures and measurements, and since then I've played around with drawing a few parts each week (I changed the shape of the body),  drawn and rendered in TC2017 Pro,  using RedSDK..

Animation,  although it's mainly uses Keyframe movement and a bit of rotation, it did crash a few times, its animated using 21 separate segments as the whole animation time would have been around 40 hours, and I wasn't risking losing that amount of time, so did it in approximately 2 hour blocks.

Its a bit too fast in places, but I thought it could get boring if slowed down too much, not suitable for full screen mode as I had to use 1280x720 because my computer wouldn't save at the higher (1920) resolution.

https://youtu.be/kziRvjrPsMg

Andy

November 17, 2017, 04:08:17 PM
That is fantastic Andy. A true labor of love, to be sure!

* November 17, 2017, 04:30:37 PM
Wow thats superb, sure its a bit fast ( you can have a crack at mine ) but its also very clever and I like that way its all goes together.

With all the quality animations that have been produced by tcw & anilab, should we post these to other sites so that the respective owners and designers can attract some more publicity to grow their products sales and user base?

Why did I ask this? Well the short answer is that IMSI and Animation Lab v5 would love to sell more and in so promoting their products through our ideas serves two purposes as I see it.
1. If its not obvious they sell more, simple.
2. We get the benefit from more users input into the tools we want and need.

Your thoughts here please?

Thanks Daz
TCW V21, 2016 & 2017 PP, Animation Lab V5, Graficalc, TCMap, TurboPDF V2-V3 & Lightworks mostly
Windows 10 Home ed. i7 @ 3400Ghz, 16GB, Nvidia 960GTX 4GB ram, 2TB HD, 500GB SSD & 128GB SSD

Good better best
Never let it rest
Until your good is better
And your better is best

November 18, 2017, 01:18:04 AM
Andy,

your efforts are truly inspiring - top notch.
    The speed is no problem. This can be altered when watching, to suit.
    I'd forgotten how many 'bits' there are in these engines.

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions).

* December 19, 2017, 01:23:54 AM
Any when you say two hour blocks does that mean you saved x number of frames at a time?

Did you then use anilabs montague to build the animation?

What was the total animation build time approx?

Thanks Daz
TCW V21, 2016 & 2017 PP, Animation Lab V5, Graficalc, TCMap, TurboPDF V2-V3 & Lightworks mostly
Windows 10 Home ed. i7 @ 3400Ghz, 16GB, Nvidia 960GTX 4GB ram, 2TB HD, 500GB SSD & 128GB SSD

Good better best
Never let it rest
And your better is best

* December 19, 2017, 02:40:33 AM
Any when you say two hour blocks does that mean you saved x number of frames at a time?

yep - but not any specific number, I'd turn on a few layers, render the screen, and see how long it took to render, I then usually multiply the seconds by 1.5, to give myself some leeway and allow for delays in AL, then I'd make a guess as to how many frames to render,  I usually try to aim for some natural break, like if the camera moves position, or a certain batch of parts is added. - nothing scientific - its all guesswork.

Did you then use anilabs montague to build the animation?

No - I normally use a program that is no longer in production called Serif MoviePlus,  but for this I gave Corel Video studio a try because it had a good price discount at the time.  it worked ok but did crash two or three of times and its not as friendly in my view as MoviePlus, though that may be simply because I'm well used to MP.

I haven't used montage centre for very long time, as it used to crash easily for me, so I gave up on it in favour of a dedicated program, no idea if its better now.

What was the total animation build time approx?

Don't know exactly but I'd guess in total around 40 hours, I'd often set it going just before I went shopping or went into my garage (workshop), if I was expecting a longer AL session I'd start it then go to bed, things don't always go to plan, sometimes I've missed a part or made it move too fast or screws are turning the wrong way, so I'd alter things and try again.   

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 02:42:28 AM by Andy H »

* December 19, 2017, 08:35:54 AM
That's a real jaw-dropper, Andy.

Henry H

* May 03, 2018, 11:22:40 PM
Just reviewed your video Andy Im impressed again so at the 35 sec mark its putting together the air filter assembly is that correct ?

I want to use the same approach where two actions occur simultaneously. So is it possible to share some example in AL of how that functions, because Ive tried that some time back and it was jerky on screen. Cant find the file I think I deleted it.

Thanks Daz

Good better best
Never let it rest
And your better is best

* May 04, 2018, 05:25:53 AM
Just reviewed your video Andy Im impressed again so at the 35 sec mark its putting together the air filter assembly is that correct ?

I want to use the same approach where two actions occur simultaneously. So is it possible to share some example in AL of how that functions, because Ive tried that some time back and it was jerky on screen. Cant find the file I think I deleted it.

Thanks Daz.

At 35 seconds its the exhaust that is going on, with some sort of baffler inside, (that is a technical term for 'I've no idea what its called' :) ).  The air filter is the very last thing at about 2 mins 20.

The 'two actions', are you meaning like the screws, which move and rotate,  or moving multiple actors / camera at the same time.  For the screws they use keyframes for the movement, and command rotation,  one thing you have to remember is to turn off rotation in the keyframe properties for the affected keyframes, or it will counteract any command rotation  and it will  either jerk, or not rotate at all.

Please let me know which movement you mean and I'll knock up an example.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 05:42:29 AM by Andy H »

* May 04, 2018, 06:01:28 AM
After watching the complete animation I realised it was the muffler going together at the 35 sec mark. Referring to parts of the muffler where each main ( large ) part moved together simultaneously, that what I tried but I must have not used keyframes at all, cant remember now as its gone. So what I gunna do is post some drawings into the gallery so that you and Tim have a reference and if I dont get it right then I will epack the files that are patented now.

Thanks Daz

Good better best
Never let it rest
And your better is best

* May 04, 2018, 06:06:47 AM
Running your mower animation while typing and one problem I had is screen size, I was always stuck with a mini screen even after changing option settings in AL, so I will dig up my old stuff and post asap to find out the what and why.

Thanks Daz

Good better best
Never let it rest
And your better is best

* May 25, 2018, 09:41:41 AM
Hi Andy - great job very well done
Since I started on cad on turbocad 1.1 many years ago and kept up dating until 2017 Plat
I always have drawn in 2d but trying the 3d now and its not good on whats left of the hair
I have looked at many lessons on 3d but they always assume that one knows a certain level of 3d and leave out the basics.
I would love to watch how your drawing came together from A - Z  which I know is not possible, but if anyone out there knows a source where I could watch from start to finish on how top build a drawing up in 3d, please let me know.

Well Done again
Bob

* May 25, 2018, 10:02:03 AM
but if anyone out there knows a source where I could watch from start to finish on how top build a drawing up in 3d, please let me know.

Thank you Bob.

As for start to finish tutorials,  look in the Tips and Tricks section of the forum for Don Cheke's posts,  Over the years Don has produced many PDF tutorials which he sells on his own site, Don also publishes some video tutorials on YouTube, with links in the tips and tricks page,  for example Belt tightener. There are other tutorials by Don on the tips page.  These go from initial set up to rendering, and are an excellent resource for anyone whether they be experienced or new to 3D.