TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

How to close the cavity at the sides of a 2 component single wall?
Read 293 times
* November 12, 2017, 12:32:47 PM
hi all

I've just spent a fruitless half hour searching the web and TC help to try and find how to close the cavity at the sides of a 2 component single wall >:(

Anybody know the answer? I guess I could make a small piece of wall and jam it on the end but I feel there must be a better way!

* November 12, 2017, 12:41:43 PM
Not possible on a Component wall, not possible to add a small wall at the end as it has to be a bit bigger then the thickness to not "crash".
So i use a "box" in the end if i need to cover the end of free wall's end.

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* November 12, 2017, 01:18:25 PM
Thanks Torfinn

Tried your box idea but the brick bond gets screwed. Then created a small single component wall with same material and stuck that on the end. The bond merges much better and so I guess thats the best solution.

Bit shocked that users have to invent ways of closing wall ends!

* November 12, 2017, 01:38:22 PM
I'm working in version-20, so maybe it's different in the version being referenced in this thread.

But-- If I don't have a "cavity" created via Style Manger by the "Edge Offset" value of a component, the Wall ends appear to be closed.  That is, each of the components are closed and-- since they are adjacent to one another-- the totality of the component wall appears to be closed.

Unless I'm confused on what the issue is... ??? :P  -Alvin
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 01:47:10 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* November 12, 2017, 02:00:14 PM
Maybe only me missunderstand what it was about ;)

Torfinn

Deluxe V20, V21, 2015
RedSDK enabled

* November 12, 2017, 07:21:09 PM
You can also use the opening tool.
Draw a box the right size
select it and type d to change the reference point to the bottom centre of the box. and shif+alt+B to create a block.
go to the opening tool right click go to properties
Type a name in the property value presets ie wallend
click new
go to the openings page and select your block as both the 2d and 3d representative.
hover over the end of the wall and
tab to the relevant offset distance in the inspection bar type 0 and enter.
Save this in your template file so that you don't have to go through the same process every time.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 07:35:27 PM by nikkipollard »

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* November 12, 2017, 07:47:41 PM
Re read all the posts.
It seems like you are drawing a brick cavity wall.
Do you have a detail of how the wall is actually finished on site?

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* November 13, 2017, 02:11:50 AM
Thanks Alvin

The idea is to close the cavity on the ends of the wall - not to remove the cavity. With your method a 2-sided wall is created - still usefl but not in this case!.

* November 13, 2017, 02:13:15 AM
Thanks Torfinn. No you were right.

* November 13, 2017, 02:57:36 AM
Hi Nikki - thats a novel way to go. Will try it after work. A box does seem a good idea after all since it stops the 2- component wall from trying to heal with the standard single wall. My brick bond render is custom as I find the RedSDK brick materials a bit flat looking.

* November 13, 2017, 03:56:59 AM
Hi nikki - just saw your second post. Brick cavity exterior walls with wall ties are used for buildings requiring stability and insulation e.g. most houses. Cavity sizes vary according to depth of insulation required. I believe 100mm is now common. The bricklayer knows how to close the cavity and will use a brick and a part brick eg for 100mm cavity and a brick size of 215X102 the bricklayer would use  102 + 10 (joint) + 188(cut brick) = 300mm depth of wall.

* November 13, 2017, 06:06:21 AM
Hi nikki - just saw your second post. Brick cavity exterior walls with wall ties are used for buildings requiring stability and insulation e.g. most houses. Cavity sizes vary according to depth of insulation required. I believe 100mm is now common. The bricklayer knows how to close the cavity and will use a brick and a part brick eg for 100mm cavity and a brick size of 215X102 the bricklayer would use  102 + 10 (joint) + 188(cut brick) = 300mm depth of wall.

Thanks for the clarification.  I thought that might be the case.

In my part of the world-- central California, USA-- that required "cavity" space would simply be an air gap of about a half-inch.  Just to help mitigate moisture/condensation/wicking issues.

For what part of the world are you drawing these construction drawings for?

I agree that it would be a good thing if TurboCAD's components had a "close end cavity" option, or something...

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* November 13, 2017, 06:49:09 AM
If there should be a "ventilation gap" between the 2 parts, change it to a 3 Component wall and add the ventilation.
If you just move 1 of the part for make it look like a gap and later use the TC database tool to find the area, TC will think it is 2 walls and you will get nearly double area :) ( or at least TC database tool did earlier )
So all the component's should touch each other, the ventilation i dont give brush and use glass/ glass as a material, then it will look like there is an emty space there in wireframe and render.

Torfinn

Deluxe V20, V21, 2015
RedSDK enabled

* November 13, 2017, 10:03:08 AM
Hi Alvin, UK. Here the common construction method is exterior brick wall then 50 - 100mm cavity then blockwork with plaster finish.
Cavity sizes are increasing rapidly to accommodate super-insulating wall specifications - we have to put the insulation somewhere!
Buildings regulations would prohibit a half inch cavity.  On the fringes there are many variations on this theme - my favourite being Feather edge cladding (U.S. = clap board?) /insulation/brick base and block/insulation/block.

* November 13, 2017, 10:17:19 AM
hi all

I've just spent a fruitless half hour searching the web and TC help to try and find how to close the cavity at the sides of a 2 component single wall >:(

Anybody know the answer? I guess I could make a small piece of wall and jam it on the end but I feel there must be a better way!

Hi,
Have you tried a "Section Line" with a 3D "Section/Elevation"?
you would need to draw 3 walls.
The 'Section cuts where ever you want.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2016-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21(Best working version,IMHO) Using Lightworks for reliability/stability and testing redsdk, Anilab lab 5, Renditioner Pro V3. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

* November 13, 2017, 11:08:11 PM
I would just draw the wall closer.
-use a block if you draw them often.
Why would you need to insulate a freestanding wall? (just curious)
The reason I asked your method of closing the wall was because I was trying figure out what you were referring to with the brick bond comment.
When I tried to render a simple example I saw your problem. I don't usually render so perhaps someone who does architectural rendering can explain how to adjust the bricks so that they fit with the wall in the x,y, and z direction.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* November 14, 2017, 08:40:53 AM
I don't usually render so perhaps someone who does architectural rendering can explain how to adjust the bricks so that they fit with the wall in the x,y, and z direction.

Hi Nikki,
It depends on what the plans call for as being a “correct” brick pattern. I mean, brick laying is an Art and It depends on what you want or is needed to be displayed in the final render, It’s not automatic and the material settings are not 'Always" the same. ;D Some drawings are easier to manage than others.
<Just a  :) guess >  Attached is using lightworks wrapped texture brick with ST Layout mapping on the 3d Section/Elevation

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2016-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21(Best working version,IMHO) Using Lightworks for reliability/stability and testing redsdk, Anilab lab 5, Renditioner Pro V3. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

* November 14, 2017, 10:52:29 AM
I don't usually render so perhaps someone who does architectural rendering can explain how to adjust the bricks so that they fit with the wall in the x,y, and z direction.

Hi Nikki,
It depends on what the plans call for as being a “correct” brick pattern. I mean, brick laying is an Art and It depends on what you want or is needed to be displayed in the final render, It’s not automatic and the material settings are not 'Always" the same. ;D Some drawings are easier to manage than others.
<Just a  :) guess >  Attached is using lightworks wrapped texture brick with ST Layout mapping on the 3d Section/Elevation

See "Wrapped Brick Bonds" in the LightWorks Help file. It has various Bond variations. Brick side/end colors is another thing to drive you to drink. :)

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit