TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Web based Pictures to 3D model
Read 188 times
* November 10, 2017, 06:36:29 PM
Has anyone used a web based service to produce a 3D model?

If so what did it cost?
What was the quality like?
Was the 3D model quality acceptable
What type of camera did you use?
Would a mobile/cell create phone create acceptable quality for this type of service?

Thanks

Daz 

Thanks Daz ( Darryl )
Using TCW 2015, 2016 & 2017 Platinum, Animation Lab V5, Graficalc & Windows 10 using Lightworks mostly

Good better best
Never let it rest
Until your good is better
And your better is best

* November 10, 2017, 07:41:40 PM
I've used Arc3d and Autodesk's 123d catch, now superceded.  I used the Arc3d service to model a full-size car nose panel, and I was able to cover it with triangular multicoloured stickers,  so it was almost like photographing a mesh model, I reasoned that the algorithm would be able to get a good register from the apexes of the triangles, I uploaded about twenty 1500x1000 jpgs and I got a model back next day.   This was about five years ago, the pix were from a 3Mpixel camera, pretty ordinary.  The model was not very smooth, but its proportions were great, and I was able to build surfaces over it that completely satisfied my client.
I experimented with 123D to answer the questions you asked,  and I think that it,  and the successor that Autodesk offers now,  Remake, can produce completely convincing results - but they're mesh objects, so you'll have to rebuild it as a nurb object or use Fusion360's implementation of T-splines,  or the OnShape implementation of IntegrityWare's NPower mesh-to-nurbs,  or there's another IntegrityWare thing that I use,  but PM me if you're interested in that, it's inappropriate for me to mention it here.

* November 11, 2017, 12:35:14 AM
Thank you Murray for the quick turn around info. Would tcw handle the resulting 3D object or is it proprietary to the web service say like autodesk?

Thanks

Daz

Thanks Daz ( Darryl )
Using TCW 2015, 2016 & 2017 Platinum, Animation Lab V5, Graficalc & Windows 10 using Lightworks mostly

Good better best
Never let it rest
And your better is best

* November 11, 2017, 03:40:20 AM
Daz, both Arc3D and Autodesk's Remake return .obj models.  TC can work with them, but being mesh objects, what you'll see as an obviously flat plane area will inevitably have multiple facets, cylindrical and conical surfaces aren't recognised either, and compound curvature surfaces don't exist in them either.  Any .obj you import is effectively deprecated to a TC surface object.  The models returned won't be manifold volumes either, they're open meshes requiring trimming and capping, which TC handles easily.

November 11, 2017, 03:41:51 AM
I've used Autodesk Meshmixer on a project.

I took a lot of pictures from several angles, but it was still problematic.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* November 11, 2017, 01:55:43 PM
Hey Jeff thanks for that, in your opinion was the resulting 3D objects quality you got back related to:
Resolution of the pictures taken?
Angle of pictures?
The number of pictures taken?

Why because Murray said in part "I used the Arc3d service to model a full-size car nose panel, and I was able to cover it with triangular multicoloured stickers". I presume that he did this to enable the web service application the ability to distinguish objects/surfaces etc.

Just wanting to learn more here.

Thanks

Daz

Thanks Daz ( Darryl )

Good better best
Never let it rest
And your better is best

* November 12, 2017, 04:51:53 PM
One thing to emphasise is that photogrammetry doesn't like reflective surfaces.  Anything shinier than a satin finish gives lots of sparkle, which gives lots of outlying points, which means ragged surfaces if the object's up close, or distortion of the object if it's larger and the pix are taken from further back.  If you've got something with a gloss finish, give it a nice even dusting with talc or cornflour, or something similar that's easy to wipe or wash off afterwards.   

November 13, 2017, 02:45:47 AM
Daz:

The instructions for Meshmixer, 123d, etc. say to take lots of pictures from various angles.  The background is important; it will be used as a reference as you walk around the object.  The background will also end up in your scanned object and will have to be removed (not that difficult).  Rotating the object on a table top with the camera fixed in one location is a recipe for a muddled mess.

As Murray says, do your best to eliminate shiny spots.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1