I tried GDI mode and that did not fix the issue. Well Ive finally got animation lab working to the point that its working reliably again, this has been a long process to try and discover the what and why so I will do my best to explain so that others can learn and hopefully prevent further problems. Just before I delve into what I discovered let me remind you that I had a electricity power outage ( brown out ) that essentially ruined my pc and damaged a lot of open files. All my installable backup software was intact except the last 6 days of new files created in tcw or modifications in anilab.
Selecting grouped objects and performing any actions on the child objects caused my many hours of problems and frustrations but I know see anilab working properly, heres what I learnt and discovered:
After buying a new pc and reinstalling all my software and either redesigning lost tcw & anilab files or starting from scratch again on projects that I had already done but lost. The issue that had bugged my system for days has now gone and while I cannot supply full and irrefutable evidence as such, I can only report what I now know. I had 4 different anilab installable versions, 3 came from imsi and 1 came from a purchase through mindscape in australia, Of the 4 versions, 1 was a 32bit file so I put that aside and installed what I thought was the most recent anilab, this version is the most recent based on the file version info and installed ok, When tested for selection issues they resurfaced again, so I promptly uninstalled the software and tried another version. After installing another version of anilab from 2016 updates I got my 1st error message of a possible cabinet file error and the install stopped. see al error.png
I retried the same install twice more hoping that the issue would just vanish ( I know wishful thinking ) but got the same message each time. I figured that there was something still wrong with my pc setup, so before the 3rd attempt I played a bit smarter and decided to verify as best I could each step of the install, I discovered that as the install went through the process that the anilab install prompt says overwrite all with " Yes, Yes to All " etc ( whats happening here is that that as the extracts the cabinet file contents one or more files are not overwritten with newer files by date and time stamps) like I said I cant show proof that this is the case because at the time all I wanted was the problem fixed and I had no idea that this was the fault.
My point is that after the 1st install of any software that has a cabinet file it appears that windows/installer make a copy on the local hard disk and process the files from there, this is were the problems occurred for me, on subsequent installs I got the error message and I suspect that was interfering with windows security and the verify install. I verified that something was wrong when I had 2 file explorer windows open at the same time and compared a copy of the original install with a copy of the new install.
I still dont know for sure what exactly happened but anilab is working ok. If you do a reinstall and its the same software I suggest you check and verify that older files are over written by the newer files 1st.