TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Electrical Contractor Trying to Make an As Built Drawing
Read 264 times
* November 09, 2017, 08:21:13 AM
HI All,

I just bought Turbo Cad and I'm really liking it so far.   Unfortunately I just know the basics.

I have a problem that I can't figure out, and I'm sure it's something easy.  I'm trying to relocate a light fixture and change the text associated with it.  However when I click on the text or the light fixture it selects every light and all the text associated with the light fixtures on the whole drawing.

Can someone tell me what I might be doing wrong? 

Thanks,

Jordan

* November 09, 2017, 08:38:26 AM
It's hard to diagnose a problem without access to the drawing. Can you post it?

Henry H

* November 09, 2017, 11:47:36 AM
Hi Henry,

Thanks for trying to help.

I couldn't upload the file but here is a google drive link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzRDhPEilPU-OTUwbXRsM21pWmM/view?usp=sharing

Thanks,

Jordan

* November 09, 2017, 12:39:46 PM
OK, Jordan; I looked at your drawing, and here's what you do: When they're all selected, press Alt+Shift+E to "explode" the selection into a bunch of individual entities.

Henry H

* November 09, 2017, 01:13:54 PM
Hi Henry,

Thank you very much for your assistance.  So what makes everything group together like that?

Jordan

* November 09, 2017, 02:18:56 PM
Hi Henry,

Thank you very much for your assistance.  So what makes everything group together like that?

Jordan

Whoever made the drawing did it; it's not something that happens all by itself.

Henry H

* November 09, 2017, 03:06:18 PM
Are you viewing the drawing on the Paperspace page or the Modelspace page? Paperspace has a Viewport for the building, which I wouldn't bother with. Modelspace has 3 "Blocks" that make up the entire building. You could Explode these, but I would rather edit the Block object (EL100_Lighting Plan).

Go to the Blocks palette and look for "EL100_Lighting Plan". You may want to go to the palette toolbar (at the top of the palette) and switch from "Thumbnails" to "List". It'll make it easier to find this particular Block. Once the Block is highlighted, click on the "EC" button to view just the contents of that Block. Switch back the Selection Info palette. Now, when you select something, it will tell you what you have; such as Text or a Group or another Block. If you select a Group, click on the plus sign to expand the list of objects in the group. You may be able to edit a selection in that list through the palette; such as "General / Info" property line for Text. When done editing the Lighting Plan Block, go to "Finish to Edit Block" in the "Edit" menu or the bottom of the Local Menu or the green checkmark in the Blocks palette. You should be back in the main drawing in Modelspace.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 03:07:59 PM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* November 10, 2017, 07:52:45 AM
Thanks John and Henry,

Both of you have helped get me where I need to be.

I had already hit explode before I did the below but I couldn't change any text, so I then proceeded with the below.

Once I selected EL100_Lighting Plan in the Block Palette and did my editing click the Finish Edit Content Button everything that I modified doesn't show up once I go to model space or paper space.  If I go back into the palettes-> Blocks and Select EL100 Lighting Plan all markups/changes are there.

Now what am I doing wrong or missing?  Lol... Electricians shouldn't play with CAD I guess.

Sorry to be such a pain, but thanks for your time.

Jordan
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:13:28 AM by Leafsnum1 »

* November 10, 2017, 10:22:05 AM
re:…Now what am I doing wrong or missing?  LOL... Electricians shouldn't play with CAD I guess.…

What went wrong was exploding. The original Lighting Plan was no longer associated to the "EL100_Lighting Plan" Block.

Go to Modelspace and select that Block within the palette and drag it into the drawing, so that it overlays the exploded pieces.
Create a new layer and place that newly insert Block on it, then turn off that Layer.
(right-click in Design Director Layer section and choose "New Layer". With the Block selected, click in the "Active" column (✔) for that new layer, then click on the eyeball to turn that layer off.)
Delete the exploded stuff and then turn that Block layer back on.
Hopefully this will get you back to square-one.

John R.

RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* November 14, 2017, 12:12:35 PM
HI John,

Thanks for your help.  I hadn't made too many changes so I started over with your method worked great.

Regards,

Jordan

* November 14, 2017, 12:39:37 PM
Good to hear.

John R.

RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit