TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Tool or feature that will push a 3D shape on both outer and inner surfaces
Read 345 times
* November 07, 2017, 11:49:59 AM
Is there a Tool or feature in TurboCAD that will push a 3D shape on both outer and inner surfaces.

An example would be a shell in the shape of a cylinder, with an inner and outer surface.
Is there some way to push both surfaces the same amount, where the distance between the surfaces remains the same?

* November 07, 2017, 12:08:54 PM
Unless I am mistaken, the best way is to "3d subtract" one cylinder from another.

* November 07, 2017, 12:12:36 PM
OK, so I can tell I was not clear enough in my description of the problem.

So, I only want to push a small portion of the cylinder's length.
It's as if I could place a dowel perpendicular to the cylinder and push the dowel into the cylinder.

* November 07, 2017, 12:37:14 PM
You could try the Facet Deform tools (Deform to Point and/or Pressure Load) on a solid Cylinder, then use the Shell tool to open the interior; select both ends of the cylinder, then Finish.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* November 07, 2017, 03:02:02 PM
OK, John R,

That sounds like it has merit...I will look into this.

Thanks,
Jmwright1058

* November 07, 2017, 04:17:37 PM
I got this on a 3×6" cylinder using Deform to Point. I placed 3 points along the side and selected one to move towards the interior. I shelled (-.09375") after it was deformed.

John R.

RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* November 08, 2017, 08:26:16 AM
This looks good, John R,

This is very close to what I want to do. Do you know if there's a way to create a very tight angle on the top or the bottom of the deformation?
    I see you've used 3 points, one to pull and the other 2 to establish an anchor. This has caused the cylinder to be pushed out above the top point and below the bottom point. Will the tool work with more than 2 points? Could I place 2 more points, one above the top point and another below the bottom point. It seems like this might constrain the tool more...but don't even know if the tool will take more points.
Also, I understand, there might still be some pull out on the surface, even if it's just limited.

The best result would be if I could eliminate all pull out of the cylinder.

jmwright1058

* November 08, 2017, 02:15:17 PM
Yes, you can add as many nodes as you want. I recreated this with a 4×10 cylinder at 0,0,0.
I went to a Right view, used "Plane by active View", then drew some circles and lines to guide me when placing the nodes.
I selected the face, then started placing nodes (NoSnap). The nodes wrap-around, but you can't see that in that particular view.
Returned to the World Workplane.
Hold the "Shift" key and select the center node, then enter how much you want it to move.
Finish.

If you want flat edges around the depression, then Riley's comment to Subtract something would be better. I used a cylinder with a filleted end. Not as nice looking in my opinion.

John R.

RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* November 08, 2017, 03:16:48 PM
How about this...?

Henry H

* November 08, 2017, 06:28:19 PM
How about this thing I did?
Is that similar to what you're after jm?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 06:44:40 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* November 10, 2017, 08:59:53 AM
Yes, John R, Henry H and Alvin Gregorio,

All these head me in the right direction.
However, an added complexity I didn't yet mention is that I actually am pulling 4 surfaces at once.
I have a cylinder that's sliced in half, down the straight axis. Half of the cylinder has a channel in it and the other half has a rail. The 2 half-cylinders fit together forming a clam-shell, where the rail on one fits inside the channel on the other. Then, the connecting edges must both be pulled inward, after which the rail on one must fit into the channel on the other.

(see attached)
The attachment shows the idea of what I need to do, implemented using the Rail Sweep tool. The channel, in the pic is correct, however, because the Rail Sweep is moving a 2 dimensional profile through a path, one dimension is being kept rigid. What I really need, is to place the channel (and rail) on a 3D set of surfaces, like a cylinder, in a cylinder, in a cylinder, in a cylinder (then pull all these surfaces at once, maintaining the distance between each of them.

(I know you guys like challenges; well it's a challenge to me anyway)

jmwright1058
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 09:15:17 AM by jmwright1058 »

* November 10, 2017, 11:21:34 AM
Not sure I understand the problem. Is this anywhere near close ...?

Henry H

* November 10, 2017, 11:45:56 AM
It just dawned on me where I've seen that ‘dent’ before; the "Dimple sheet material" option for the Imprint tool.  ;)

John R.

RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* November 10, 2017, 12:15:39 PM
That's great, John R,

That's not only close, I'm fairly certain you hit the nail on the head.

How did you create the indentation, and do you believe the separation of all surfaces in the channel and rail are identical in the region of the dimple?

jmwright1058

* November 10, 2017, 09:37:52 PM
That's great, John R,

That's not only close, I'm fairly certain you hit the nail on the head.

How did you create the indentation, and do you believe the separation of all surfaces in the channel and rail are identical in the region of the dimple?

jmwright1058

I thought Dimple was the way, but I can't get it to look like Henry's. I'll wait on his explanation.
Maybe a simple subtract and fillet edge.

John R.

RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* November 12, 2017, 06:38:45 AM
I made the dented tube by using Bend Sheet to curl a dented flat plate into a tube. Made the dented flat plate by Revolving a 2D profile (blue object in the first attachment, below), Shelling it to a thickness equal to the desired cylinder wall thickness, then trimming to a rectangular shape.

Sliced the tube in half lengthwise and hid one half. Drew the outlines of the two keys on the sliced faces and Quick Pulled the keys (second attachment). Subtracted this object from the other half of the tube, with "Don't remove subtrahend" enabled.

Henry H

* November 12, 2017, 10:54:25 AM
Is there a Tool or feature in TurboCAD that will push a 3D shape on both outer and inner surfaces.

An example would be a shell in the shape of a cylinder, with an inner and outer surface.
Is there some way to push both surfaces the same amount, where the distance between the surfaces remains the same?

I would probably 'keep it real" and create a "dimpler" if you want more of an 'organic' shape convert it to mesh.

Sometimes I "extract" a "hole" then modify it as the dimpler.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2016-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21(Best working version,IMHO) Using Lightworks for reliability/stability and testing redsdk, Anilab lab 5, Renditioner Pro V3. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100