TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

3D Foundation with wall tool
Read 187 times
* November 05, 2017, 05:50:38 PM
So I've decided that if I'm going to jump into the 3d world of designing homes, that I need to go all the way. I'm getting a bit frustrated because I know what I want to do is completely possible, but I'm spending way more time trying to get it done than if I were just drawing in 2d. My most recent example is demonstrated in the photo attached. I used the wall tool for both the stemwall and footers, everything seemed to be going well and all of a sudden the connections at the corners are broken. Every time I go to edit something TC tells me that the object isn't on the current workplane. The columns in the front of the house suddenly look like a bunch of  6x6's stacked next to each other. They used to be 6" walls. Any thoughts on how to accomplish what I'm doing without this level of frustration? In my mind, TC should have tools that extrude shapes and works much like the wall tool. Facia, soffits, footers, trim, etc. Making these things with the current tools seem to be extremely time consuming.

TurboCAD Pro Platinum 2017.5 64-bit version 24.5 build 53.2. Windows 10 Home - Intel Core i3-700 CPU @ 3.90 GHz - 64-bit OS, x64 based processor

* November 05, 2017, 07:53:19 PM
Make up a template file with named workplanes.
Use presets and styles for different types of walls, slabs, roofs etc
Use component walls (created in the style manager palette) to create footings.
You can use one wall to draw both at the same time - but I usually draw the foundation separately, so that I can freeze the foundation layer in the plan viewport.
I have a library file for profiles - it is easy to just drag the profile in to the drawing and sweep it.
I don't draw everything in 3d - it can bloat a drawing - sanitary fittings , trusses etc  which you wouldn't see in an elevation I use 2d parametric symbols which I drag in from the library.
Once you have set up a template file, it doesn't take long to draw simple buildings.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* November 05, 2017, 08:45:59 PM
I've always used the Slab tools for a foundation. I'll draw the basic perimeter of the slab in a polyline, then "Convert to Slab". Then I'll place interior polylines to use with the "Delete Holes" tool to generate a footer pattern. I'll reuse the perimeter profile to pour the floor (a second ‘slab’ above the footer).

My amateurish 2-bits.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* November 06, 2017, 04:35:47 AM
Both of those replies help a lot. I do use the slab tool as well but put it on it's own layer and only use it for my elevations. I was contemplating on doing a second one as well to the inside of the stemwall that would show up in my sections as slab and fill. Which is really the only reason why I'm going to this extent, so that I can get some good building sections and elevations. As far as the wall style, there is an "offset" setting and it doesn't seem to be offsetting even after applying the changes. I'm trying to offset 5", the total width of the footer being 16" and the footer would extend 5" on either side of a 6" wall. And one more thing that I'm wondering if this may have something to do with my issues. If I draw one of the footers, the origin is like 50 feet away, I've attached a picture below. Unfortunately I'll be gone most of the next 3 days but will be working on this as I get back home. Thank you guys very much for the assistance!

TurboCAD Pro Platinum 2017.5 64-bit version 24.5 build 53.2. Windows 10 Home - Intel Core i3-700 CPU @ 3.90 GHz - 64-bit OS, x64 based processor

* November 06, 2017, 05:34:05 AM
Got it....baseline justification in properties.

* November 19, 2017, 05:34:04 PM
Just wanted to add here that I found the solution to the origin of my walls being quite a distance from the wall itself. It turned out to be an issue with the workplanes that I was working on. In Design Director, the x and y origins were way off, I set those values to 0 and left the z origin at the height that I needed it to be.