TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

new computer...requirements, suggestions?
Read 192 times
* November 03, 2017, 05:06:20 PM
I'm planning a major computer upgrade. I checked the system requirements link on the IMSI page, but it  doesn't work. I'm trying to find out what is the  most important part of the system for Turbocad drawing and rendering. Number of cores and threads? Processor speed? Amount of RAM? Core I7 with on board graphics or separate graphics card and Xeon processor? Wondering what systems others are using that work well.

* November 03, 2017, 06:48:17 PM
I'm planning a major computer upgrade. I checked the system requirements link on the IMSI page, but it  doesn't work. I'm trying to find out what is the  most important part of the system for Turbocad drawing and rendering. Number of cores and threads? Processor speed? Amount of RAM? Core I7 with on board graphics or separate graphics card and Xeon processor? Wondering what systems others are using that work well.

I'm getting a new computer on Tuesday, but I don't have the  spec sheet with me. I'll try get that from the supplier and forward it you. It may help a bit with your decision.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 07:17:45 PM by DonCW »

DonCW

2017 Platinum
Light Works Plug in
Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

November 08, 2017, 02:32:58 AM
The preferred computer components will depend on the type of work you will be doing and the results you want.

For CPUs, TurboCAD is slowly increasing the number of functions that make use of Multi-Core and Hyper Threading.  You will have to monitor usage to determine whether you should go with a smaller number of cores with a higher clock frequency, or the other way.

For Graphics cards, some of the rendering modes will not use a graphics processor; others will.  For those that do, the NVidia Quadro cards are getting much faster results than the NVidia GTX (gamer) cards.  Independent tests I have seen show that gamer cards do very well with AutoCAD, but that is not the case with TurboCAD.

If you do not have the budget for a Quadro card, then the best GTX card you can afford will still do nicely for a lot of GPU renders (but 2x to 4x the Quadro rendering time will be common).

So... do some experiments to determine whether your preferred rendering mode uses the CPU or GPU.  The free GPU-Z app will monitor graphics cards.  Windows' Task Manager will monitor the CPU.

EDIT ON *** Oh, yeah... get a motherboard that uses the NVMe drives in the M.2 slot.  You will get much faster boot times. *** EDIT OFF

Jeff

« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 02:38:10 AM by Jeffin90620 »

TC Pro Platinum 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1