TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

What Has Happened to Copy In Place?
Read 284 times
October 19, 2017, 06:47:38 AM
TCW Deluxe 21.2 64 Bit

It took me a while to realise I couldn't copy in place unless I had any form of hidden line switched off, but today it has disappeared from my edit menu and won't come back whatever I do, even if I create a brand new drawing with everything at default.

The help (from  February) claims it isn't in the 64-bit versions which is patently untrue as I've been using it for a couple of years.

Is it possible there's some switch flicked I don't know about?

The only odd thing I've done is drag and drop a PDF to import it, but ALL files are affected.

Please help, producing any drawing with repeating elements is next to impossible without copy in place as ordinary copy loses every transformation.

Climbing the Learning Curve!

* October 19, 2017, 11:17:18 AM
"Copy in Place" is available in V21 Deluxe, but someone forgot to add it to any of the configurations. Right-click in an empty toolbar area to open the "Customize" dialog and go to the "Commands" page. Scroll down the "Commands" list to "Copy in Place". You can drag-n-drop the tool to the "Edit" menu or a toolbar.

I would recommend creating a custom Workspace to save your configuration changes. On the "Options" page of that dialog, overwrite the current name in the "Save In" list with your custom name, then click on the "Save In" button. When needed, select the custom configuration from the "Load From" list and click on the "Load From" button.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

October 19, 2017, 12:28:28 PM
That's brilliant, many thanks John.

I wonder how on earth it disappeared!

* October 19, 2017, 01:51:20 PM
With 600± tools (?), they're bound to misplace one or two on occasion.  ;D

I don't use Copy in Place much, as I rarely ever copy items to the same place. Most times I will pick up a selection, then hold the "Ctrl" key and place the selection down. I now have a ‘copy’ of the selection.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

October 20, 2017, 01:52:09 AM
Ctrl-copy works with TC?

Damnation, I wish I had known that.

I usually copy in place then type in a displacement. I this case I wanted to create a row of wing ribs.

Thanks again.

* October 20, 2017, 07:01:14 AM
Would it not be simpler and more accurate to use linear array?
Rubber stamp is also useful for multiple copies.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

October 20, 2017, 07:17:36 AM
Thanks Gary!

I've found the array command now. I can't find rubber stamp.

I must do some tutorials...

Is there a rubber band more for node edit? So if I pull one node of a circle it stretches rather than just moving a single node?

* October 20, 2017, 08:07:40 AM
Thanks Gary!

I've found the array command now. I can't find rubber stamp.

I must do some tutorials...

Is there a rubber band more for node edit? So if I pull one node of a circle it stretches rather than just moving a single node?

Rubber Stamp is an icon on the Inspector Bar.

You can stretch/compress a circle in the X or Y direction just by dragging an edge of the selection box in Select mode (not Edit mode).

Henry H

October 20, 2017, 08:27:29 AM
Thanks I now have a multitude of rubber-stamped wings!  8)

I mean rubber banding in node edit mode. Say I have a block with a circular hole, I can select the nodes around the hole and move the hole, but is there a mode that lets me stretch the hole without distorting the block i.e. rubber banding just the selected nodes?

I used to be able to do this in Corel draw, but that's only 2D.

* October 23, 2017, 02:20:47 AM
is there a mode that lets me stretch the hole without distorting the block i.e. rubber banding just the selected nodes?

There is.  When node editing's active, there's a "selector mode" check box in the context menu.  It puts a bounding box around the selected nodes, so that they transform proportionately relative to the reference point instead of a uniform delta transformation being applied to the selection set.

October 23, 2017, 02:34:29 AM
Thanks.

I would never have though that 'selector' mode' was it - I only even clicked it with one node selected so I hadn't seen its effects.