TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

2017 Plat Pro
Read 326 times
* October 17, 2017, 08:12:59 AM
I am trying to apply a 3D hole to a simple extrusion (leg of a structural angle); an extruded face is not a "FACE"??

* October 17, 2017, 09:39:24 AM
Do you have a "Point" object applied where you want the Hole placed?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 09:42:47 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* October 17, 2017, 02:29:14 PM
About an hour after I posted this I saw  tutorial about points. https://youtu.be/wTeRTqi7p0o
I had never had to revert that far backwards in my other parametric design programs. In the video points were attached to a predefined object. The attached picture illustrates my dilemma. I placed the points on the L face but now they are still not able to be dimensionally constrained.
BTW Thanks for the reply.

* October 17, 2017, 03:18:28 PM
I know next to nothing about Constraints, but I don't think Point objects can be constrained. I may be wrong.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* October 17, 2017, 07:48:55 PM
Whilst what you would like to do is partly possible, constraints are purely 2D and they only become 3D by association with for example the extrude tool, even though it looks like 3D its still only constrained by the 2D profile.

Although it is possible to partly constrain the holes in your drawing,  it won't be fully constrained as changing the height of the extrude will not be reflected in the position of the holes, to do it partly constrained, one would set up a constrains on a workplane on the side of the object, BUT its still hit and miss, and one needs (or at least I did) setting up everything before joining the side constraints to the bottom ones using equal length or the constraints break.

I don't think constraints were ever designed for this type of adjustment. and apart from 3 extra tool, they haven't really changed much since introduction in v10.5. If your used to a fully parametric program where you can change everything and have the change reflect on other sizes / faces in all directions, I'm doubt constraints would do it, maybe the parametric parts in TC could do it, but I know nothing about programming parametric parts. 

attached is the closest I got, and is animated by changing 3 variables, note I used a circle point object rather than a star - just because I think it looks clearer.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 07:56:37 PM by Andy H »

* October 25, 2017, 02:58:41 PM
Thanks Andy. I have used NX3 and higher. So constrained sketches are something I really on.

October 26, 2017, 03:14:00 PM
Andy:  Okay... I suppose it's time to get a bit more familiar with Constraints.

First off, how did you move the hole to make the animation?

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* October 26, 2017, 03:38:28 PM
First off, how did you move the hole to make the animation?

Jeff.   For the animation I used animationLab's constraint command 'SetVariable' which allows for altering of variables in the calculator/variable palette, for altering the hole its a matter of altering Var 4 and Var 5, (which can be also done manually without AL).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 03:48:06 PM by Andy H »

* October 26, 2017, 09:14:49 PM
Whilst what you would like to do is partly possible, constraints are purely 2D and they only become 3D by association with for example the extrude tool, even though it looks like 3D its still only constrained by the 2D profile.

Although it is possible to partly constrain the holes in your drawing,  it won't be fully constrained as changing the height of the extrude will not be reflected in the position of the holes, to do it partly constrained, one would set up a constrains on a workplane on the side of the object, BUT its still hit and miss, and one needs (or at least I did) setting up everything before joining the side constraints to the bottom ones using equal length or the constraints break.

You could use the sweep command instead of extrude. But I agree it can get complicated too quickly trying to tie all those workplanes together. I only use constraints with simple components, then use the parametric part tool to create a part. You can nest multiple parts together to create a more complex component.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks