TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

How do you hide or blank solids?
Read 4623 times
May 15, 2009, 05:40:02 PM
In a crowded drawing how do you guys get stuff out of the way so you can work?

I made a layer called "hidden" and started moving my solids there... but when I move the solids back to layer 0, they don't seem to go there. So I have to save the file, close it, and reopen it. Then the solids are back on layer 0.

I don't think Turbocad has a blank or hide command. So how do YOU do it? 

Any other ideas?

Mike...

* May 15, 2009, 09:41:18 PM
If you use Pro, press F3 to open the layer manager.

Click on the layers tab and add a new layer.

Select the object, then double click on the new layer, you will see a blue check mark next to it indicating this object is on the new layer.

Click on the blue eye in the layer, that will hide the layer and your object.

Select one of the other layers and then continue to add your geometry. You don't have to move the object back to layer 0. Just hide or display the objects on the specific layer.

In Pro 16, open the "Normal Metric" template. It automatically creates 3D objects on a 3D layer and dimensions on a dimension layer. That will give you an idea on how to use it.

Mauritz

May 16, 2009, 04:23:17 AM

Hi mike.

when you are working with complex drawings it is always worth building as many layers as possible to avoid confusion.

Also try not to overcrowd any layer, this also reduces problems with crashes when rendering complex highly detailed 3D models.

The example I have attached would not render without crashing until I broke it down into a lot of layers.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Dave

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dave C
TC Pro V14.2 - TC 21 Platinum 64 Bit Build 22.3
Intel i-4770K 3.5GHz
120GB ssd 2TB hd
16GB memory
64bit Windows 7 Pro

www.ipernity.com/fizzyfitz

May 16, 2009, 10:46:53 AM
Years ago when I was playing with layers, I tried to move stuff from layer 0 to some other layer. I think everything worked fine, unless I turned off layer 0. On the old forum we pretty much decided that layer 0 always has to be left on.

Mike...

May 16, 2009, 04:41:37 PM

I made a layer called "hidden" and started moving my solids there... but when I move the solids back to layer 0, they don't seem to go there. So I have to save the file, close it, and reopen it. Then the solids are back on layer 0.

I don't think Turbocad has a blank or hide command. So how do YOU do it? 

Any other ideas?

Mike...

Sure, in addition to the layer method, you could create a block out of that which you want to see, then when you use the block editor, you are unhindered by the rest of the drawing. Edit group is similar, used to cause lots of crashing in older versions, don't know if this is fixed now, [I don't risk it]. When you are done, you can delete the block from the block palette if appropriate AFTER having exploded it in the main drawing so your handiwork is not a block anymore.

Alan.
Platinum 21. & Deluxe 21.
TC user since 1995. (version 3)

May 18, 2009, 09:38:47 AM
You can also show and hide a named graphic. 

Go to the "Graphic" section of the design director. 

You can create different graphics from selected objects.

You can show and hide these regardless of what layer they are on.

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* October 16, 2017, 08:40:58 AM
This should have been moved to the Wish List. The ability to individually turn off visibility locally is invaluable.