TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Finding layers in Blocks
Read 3447 times
* May 29, 2009, 11:20:42 AM
I'm working with a drawing that has 75+ layers - most of which I'm sure are no longer being used.  I've been taking linework from drawings done by others and it seems everyone has a different layering technique/format.  I'd like to purge the layers that are not being used at all.  In addition to these layers, there are also a lot of blocks in the drawings and I've noticed that you cannot do a 'Select by Layer" in modelspace and have it highlight those layers that are embedded within blocks, so unless I go through each, individual block, I can't be certain the layers I want to purge aren't being used elsewhere.  I also noticed that when you delete layers, the linework associated with that layer vanishes and is lost forever - also something I'd like to avoid for obvious reasons.

Is there an easy/efficient way to purge unused layers without losing any work?

For reference - using TCAD Pro v15.2 on Vista 64-bit.

Thanks

* May 29, 2009, 01:34:40 PM
Is there an easy/efficient way to purge unused layers without losing any work?
For reference - using TCAD Pro v15.2 on Vista 64-bit.
Thanks

None that I know of. :-(
It's been on various wish lists over the years.

John R.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

May 29, 2009, 02:03:35 PM
Tim, you may find the easiest way to purge is to select all, copy and paste into new drawing, but save your original drawing as a different filename just in case you need to go back to it.

The, the note below is not a direct reply to your question, but rather toward an illustration as to some of the complexity which it is useful to know about when selecting a layer/block system. Here is a note I made for myself, applicable at least for Version 11.1 pro:

Note about layer property retention: In a copy and paste example, although all layers themselves copied over into the new drawing, only one of the blocks retained [door] layer properties in its content, the other block dropped the [carcass] layer properties onto layer 0. There is no explanation as to which was retained, the examples were very simple indeed The difference was that the retained objects were originally produced from extruded rectangles and the non-retained was created from a cube, shelled and boolean sliced, so maybe the boolean operations sever the layer information for copy and paste where layers are not pre-prepared, perhaps it's just that the information exceeds the space allocated. When layers were ready and waiting in the new drawing before the copy and paste, the layer properties within the blocks was retained.

There are many issues to consider regarding layer and block systems, and varying uses. I am sure a short book could be written on the subject.

Upon revisiting this post almost a year later, I can only confirm that layer transfer between drawings where blocks are involved is very inconsistent, with some layers even changing to different layers, especially if some layers were already present in the second drawing. Very frustrating and time wasting. V11pro. [Perhaps V17 is better but that lacks save as v10.5 which is my lifeline to VBA scripts.]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 12:22:17 PM by Alan C »

Alan.
Platinum 21. & Deluxe 21.
TC user since 1995. (version 3)