TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

External monitor to laptop screen issue
Read 315 times
* September 20, 2017, 09:39:52 PM
Hi All
I am hoping someone maybe able to shed some light on my problem. I am using Tcad pro platinum 2017. on my Dell Inspiron 15 7000 laptop with Win 10 and I use an external  monitor ASUS. It works well on the monitor and flys etc but when I want to swap over to use just the laptop monitor it starts to play up. It looses some of the dialogue boxes when editing part of the drawing. when I try to select a part of a drawing it won't show the selection box so you have to select blind. But one of the most frustrating things, when I try to use multi text and click on the text to bring up the dialogue box to edit the text it is just not there. Now maybe its simply a check box I have over looked with an resolution issue I am not aware of, but I would have thought if it works OK on the external monitor why should it not work on the laptop screen. Really appreciate any answers. Thanks Mike

* September 21, 2017, 10:51:01 AM
If you reattach the external monitor does the dialog box show up on the external monitor?
Some software remembers the last position, i.e. in your case the external monitor, even when it is not attached, so it may end up outside the edge of the laptop monitor.
Not sure if that is the case, but it is something you could try to find out by re-attaching the monitor while the dialog box is missing to see if it ends op on the external monitor.

* September 21, 2017, 04:14:16 PM
Hi Phcad
No I haven't tried that as described, but in reverse and the crazy thing it worked ok. I was working on the drawing with the multi text function  on and then disconnected the monitor back to the laptop. It worked fine. when it happened last time I hibernated the laptop and disconnected it and picked up the drawing latter. So perhaps it just a random glitch.  If it happens again I will try what you suggested. I should also try a re start.
Thanks!

* September 24, 2017, 04:16:40 PM
Hi Phcad
I have now tried your suggestion and found the fault followed through to the external monitor.
to summarise what is happening.
When i open Tcad with only laptop monitor, drawings loose some of their functions as described below. if i connect ext monitor while Tcad is open problems are still there.
When i open tcad with ext monitor connected all functions work ok and if I disconnect ext monitor it continues to work ok.
so basically it won't work properly without an external monitor. Why?

* September 24, 2017, 04:55:07 PM
Hi Phcad
I have now tried your suggestion and found the fault followed through to the external monitor.
to summarise what is happening.
When i open Tcad with only laptop monitor, drawings loose some of their functions as described below. if i connect ext monitor while Tcad is open problems are still there.
When i open tcad with ext monitor connected all functions work ok and if I disconnect ext monitor it continues to work ok.
so basically it won't work properly without an external monitor. Why?

Try re-Loading your preferred [single monitor] Workspace Configuration.
I work on a laptop.  I sometimes plug into a second, external, monitor; though, it's been a while.

I've experienced what you're experiencing.  It's always made sense to me that it behaves this way.  TurboCAD "Saves Desktop on exit".  So, if I left something like my Measurement Palette over there on the second monitor when I disconnected from the second monitor, TurboCAD thinks it's still over there.  Floating Toolbars... same, if I remember correctly.  In fact they are still over there, we just can't see them because the monitor "over there" isn't there any longer.

I cannot remember if the MultiText format dialogue box will come back to the main monitor when you re-Load your preferred Workspace Configuration.  But I do remember losing it "over there", in the now not-connected external second monitor.

Anyway... Maybe try re-Loading your preferred [single monitor] Workspace Configuration, and report back.

-Alvin
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 05:26:04 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* September 24, 2017, 05:02:27 PM
Regarding my comment:  "I cannot remember if the MultiText format dialogue box will come back to the main monitor when you re-Load your preferred Workspace Configuration"

I just checked.  It doesn't.  What I do:  Plug in to my second monitor.  Activate the MultiText Tool.  Drag that sucker over into the main monitor before disconnecting from the second monitor.

I try to remember what else I "left" over there, make them active (dialogue boxes, floating Toolbars, floating Palettes, etc.) and bring them into the main (laptop) monitor before unplugging from the second monitor.

Because of this issue, I try to limit the use of floating Toolbars, Palettes, and such, when using the second monitor.  I don't always remember what I left over there... in the second monitor.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* September 24, 2017, 05:17:06 PM
By the way:  The MultiText "Character" window is the only thing I can recall that I couldn't get back into the main monitor-- when the second monitor has been disconnected and the "Character" window was left in the second monitor-- via a re-Loading of my preferred Workspace Configuration.  It's a stubborn sucker...

Buggy when we forget-- especially when we are not in the same place that our second monitor is (to plug it in temporarily).

[Edit:  It looks like the Image Manager window is another one that gets stuck wherever we last left it.  There's probably more of these windows with this behavior.]
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 05:30:21 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* September 24, 2017, 09:20:10 PM
as mentioned above, programs remember last position used.
I find that checking if the windows option to "extend" the desktop to another monitor is on or off can solve missing windows....

Tcd Deluxe17 64bit W10 - Mod eng