TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

TurboCad 2015 Pro Does not convert TCW files to stl files properly?
Read 416 times
* September 09, 2017, 09:30:22 AM
I have a TC 2015 Pro and the prototype manufacturers are returning my stl files saying that they can't work with them?
It turns out that TC 2015 Pro does not convert the TCW files to stl files properly and there is no fix for the problem. I asked for a patch but there is none.
Does anyone know how to get over this problem? See drawing:
Thanks,
BRB

* September 09, 2017, 09:43:48 AM
Wow,  stare at your drawing ling enough and its like one of those optical illusion drawings.

TC (not just 2015) does produce the odd error at least when I check stl's in NetFabb, but I've never see anything like your drawing, is that when the drawing is opened back up in TC, or another program, have you tried sending the stl into the free version of NetFabb and Meshlab, to check for errors, and do some repair on the meshes.   or even opening in a slicing software to see how it slices.

* September 09, 2017, 05:46:48 PM
Andy's advice is good, but what is the issue that the bureau's complaining about?  "Can't work with them" is too vague to be useful, and implies more about their capacity than other things.  TC can clean up some .stl models (including its own) by importing them and converting them to solid in properties or performing SAT healing on them, then exporting them again as a new .stl.  This can eliminate redundant (triangle facets protruding from the model) and duplicate faces, and close some gaps between faces that make a model non-manifold/non-watertight.   The open-source FreeCAD also has an iterative .stl mesh analysis and repair tool.   
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 05:50:40 PM by murray dickinson »

September 11, 2017, 03:25:03 AM
Download the free MeshLab (32- and 64-bit versions).  It will display your STL file and, if there are any errors, you will have a wide variety of tools to fix them (unfortunately, with poor or no documentation).

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* September 11, 2017, 04:41:18 PM
I have a TC 2015 Pro and the prototype manufacturers are returning my stl files saying that they can't work with them?
It turns out that TC 2015 Pro does not convert the TCW files to stl files properly and there is no fix for the problem. I asked for a patch but there is none.
Does anyone know how to get over this problem? See drawing:
Thanks,
BRB

Can you explain more how you are saving your drawing as an stl.
Are you changing any Acis solids to surfaces before saving as stl ?
You need to experiment with the ACIS faceter quality setting prior to changing the solid to a surface.
if there are errors in your drawing chances are those errors will affect the quality of the stl.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2016-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21(Best working version,IMHO) Using Lightworks for reliability/stability and testing redsdk, Anilab lab 5, Renditioner Pro V3. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

* September 13, 2017, 06:30:01 AM
Thanks Andy, Murray, Jeffin and Dean but this is very disappointing. When users have a top of the range TC Pro, they do not expect to be buying additional software so as to make the TC work properly. This is something IMSI should have sorted out or at least provided a patch to sort out the problem.
People can't have professional software that does not work properly.

Branko
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:00:23 AM by B R Babic »