TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

How to make logo appear through lucite rod.
Read 459 times
August 14, 2017, 04:12:33 PM
Greetings Tcad fans and helpers. I am trying to figure out how to have my embedded logo appear through a lucite rod (blue LED will be placed on both ends in real life) but just looking to simulate the effect. Any advice?

Aram :)

1) Tcad V20 on HP Z10 Workstation 3.3ghz-4gb- 64bit- Nvidia Quadro 2000 Win 7
2) Tcad V20 on Lenovo D30 Workstation 2x- Xeon, 64bit, 16gb -Nvidia Quadro K2000 Win 8

* August 15, 2017, 11:48:26 AM
In this version, the logo itself and the bottom face of the rod are an opaque material while the rest of the object is a glossy transparent material. (I also filleted the long edges of the object so they would catch highlights.) Rendered with LightWorks.

Henry H

August 18, 2017, 03:12:57 PM
Ahh.. very clever... might you post a twc file? I'd like to see where you placed the light bulbs.

2) Tcad V20 on Lenovo D30 Workstation 2x- Xeon, 64bit, 16gb -Nvidia Quadro K2000 Win 8

* August 18, 2017, 05:04:05 PM
Here's the file. You might be disappointed, though, because the illumination is pretty much as in your own drawing. Furthermore, if you're not using LightWorks for rendering, the materials I assigned probably won't work.

Henry H

August 22, 2017, 11:38:43 AM
Thank you Hen.. Okay I do have LW's, and I looked it over... I guess I had the lamp in the right place, but the opacity trick threw me off. Hard to understand how light travels through stuff without experience. I am assuming you broke apart the object and applied opacity to bottom side and the logo only. I could only select the whole rod, and see that 'Blue Pale SG' was selected. Looking like that is the material for the whole rod -- including opaqed parts too... correct?

Also not sure how you applied opacity to one side.

A...

* August 22, 2017, 12:54:17 PM
Thank you Hen.. Okay I do have LW's, and I looked it over... I guess I had the lamp in the right place, but the opacity trick threw me off. Hard to understand how light travels through stuff without experience. I am assuming you broke apart the object and applied opacity to bottom side and the logo only. I could only select the whole rod, and see that 'Blue Pale SG' was selected. Looking like that is the material for the whole rod -- including opaqed parts too... correct?

Also not sure how you applied opacity to one side.

A...

I applied the opaque material to the entire object, then applied the transparent material to selected facets.

Henry H