TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Ambient light power and rendering types
Read 319 times
August 11, 2017, 01:58:15 AM
Hello,
if the Ambient Light has the following properties (taken from TC help file): Provides light equally from all directions. Light from an ambient source shines equally on all sides of an object. The Position and Direction options are turned off because they are irrelevant.

then what matters only is the power option expressed in Watts. Yet when I change wattage and render it in Quality and Advanced Quality mode (using Raytrace Fine), there is no change at all in illuminance power.

But when I render using Global Illuminance Fine, even when I turn off all the lights, I get illuminated object but it is unclear from what lights.
I could attach a file but as far as I have tested, this is default TC behavior.

So:
1. How to adjust power of ambient light to get uniform light on model,
2. How the lights in the Global Illuminance render are defined?

Windows 10 64bit
TC 2016 Pro 64bit, RedSDK
Lenovo M92p I5 3550 8GB RAM NVIDIA GForce GTX 1050ti 4GB

* August 11, 2017, 09:19:16 AM
#1 — If a Standard Light, go to the Light palette or Light category in the Design Director. There's a "P" or Power column where you change the power setting. Changing the color to a lighter shade of gray or even white can help. If using a LightWorks or RedSDK Ambient luminance, they both have a Color & Intensity settings.

#2 — Not sure. Darrel, Dean or Majo know how this works in RedSDK.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* August 11, 2017, 10:31:18 AM
if the Ambient Light has the following properties (taken from TC help file): Provides light equally from all directions. Light from an ambient source shines equally on all sides of an object. The Position and Direction options are turned off because they are irrelevant.

Be careful with Ambient,  upping the power too much can washout a scene,  indeed just moving the colour up towards white will do it,  I'd suggest ambient be used to provide background illumination, preventing black spots, and lighten shadows though it lightens everything else as well), I keep ambient at dark grey just to help with dark spot - but that's just a personal thing.

August 11, 2017, 01:26:26 PM
Ambient is not for Photorealistic renders in either Lightworks or RedSDK render engines.

Always try and use other options like Global illumination, area lights and physical lights.

With RedSDK you don't actually need any lighting at all for quick renders with soft shadows as the GI modes picks up the Drawing Background colour to use as an emissive skylight type of lighting and tone mapping is used to get the look you are after. see attached. Actual photo below (customer wants to revamp the bedroom in white Gloss Acrylic doors etc.)

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 02:02:48 PM by Darrel Durose »

Daz...
V2016 64-Bit & 32 Bit Platinum Edition - Build 61.2
RedSDK Only in 64 bit & 32 bit = RedSDK & Lightworks
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.
OS Windows7 Pro 64bit Lenovo W701 Laptop, 12GB Ram, 2 x 128 SSD harddrives, NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M Graphics, Intel i7 CPU...

August 12, 2017, 10:59:53 AM
Thanks for responses.

I'm not looking here for a photorealistic rendering (like the furniture example by Darrel which is btw. wonderful).

Ambient light is useful when modeling smaller parts which do not need shadows and partly reflections and need to be uniformly lit in all directions.

However, TC's default behavior is that the ambient light's power can't be adjusted. One can turn off all other lights, and no matter which value enters in power bar of ambient light, render looks the same (using raytrace). When using Global Illumination, objects are lit even when all the lights are turned off. This all goes for RedSDK which I'm using.

Now this should be explained in TC help file but it isn't, nor it is in Turbocadcommunity web site.

Windows 10 64bit

* August 12, 2017, 11:15:49 AM
Thanks for responses.

I'm not looking here for a photorealistic rendering (like the furniture example by Darrel which is btw. wonderful).

Ambient light is useful when modeling smaller parts which do not need shadows and partly reflections and need to be uniformly lit in all directions.

However, TC's default behavior is that the ambient light's power can't be adjusted. One can turn off all other lights, and no matter which value enters in power bar of ambient light, render looks the same (using raytrace). When using Global Illumination, objects are lit even when all the lights are turned off. This all goes for RedSDK which I'm using.

Now this should be explained in TC help file but it isn't, nor it is in Turbocadcommunity web site.

The Power of an Ambient light is fully adjustable in my installation. Perhaps that light has gone sour in your installation or in that particular drawing; try deleting it and inserting a new one.

Henry H

* August 12, 2017, 11:52:46 AM
However, TC's default behavior is that the ambient light's power can't be adjusted.

If Henry's suggestion doesn't work  very occasionally lights can go a bit wonky,  at the top of the design director, right click the word Light and choose properties, (or it may be under 'view menu - lights' depending on menu setup), in the properties dialog it should show all lights,  click restore default, this will reset all the lights and you just need to turn off again the ones you don't want in design director.

August 12, 2017, 04:02:10 PM
Well something here is strange. Ambient light power gauge does nothing. TC restarted, document created from blank.
Because the pic is larger than 4 mb, which is the file limit here, I uploaded it onto 3rd party site.

Windows 10 64bit

* August 12, 2017, 05:31:16 PM
Ok,  just did some tests,  (in 64 bit version),  yep - the power setting is not working (RedSDK only - no Lightworks installed),  and its not worked in v2015 and v2016 as well,  which possibly shows how people feel about adjusting ambient light as I couldn't see any reports on here about it being faulty, whether this is by design of fault I've no idea,  trying to adjust Ambient to just 5W can wash out the whole screen (tested in v20).

However the colour adjustment is working fine (for me at least - providing the object has materials attached),  click the colour next to ambient and adjust it black for dark, white for bright - even back when it worked I only ever adjusted the colour not the Watts.

The attached from v20 shows how bad ambient can look when the power is increased to just 5W, not really what you want to happen, note- the drawing has a very low power headlight as well, otherwise the box would have no definition at all
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 05:52:22 PM by Andy H »

* August 12, 2017, 08:22:38 PM
"... which possibly shows how people feel about adjusting ambient light..." It actually shows how I feel about Redstuff ;-)

Henry H

August 13, 2017, 03:33:00 AM
Ok,  just did some tests,  (in 64 bit version),  yep - the power setting is not working (RedSDK only - no Lightworks installed),  and its not worked in v2015 and v2016 as well,  which possibly shows how people feel about adjusting ambient light as I couldn't see any reports on here about it being faulty, whether this is by design of fault I've no idea,  trying to adjust Ambient to just 5W can wash out the whole screen (tested in v20).

However the colour adjustment is working fine (for me at least - providing the object has materials attached),  click the colour next to ambient and adjust it black for dark, white for bright - even back when it worked I only ever adjusted the colour not the Watts.

The attached from v20 shows how bad ambient can look when the power is increased to just 5W, not really what you want to happen, note- the drawing has a very low power headlight as well, otherwise the box would have no definition at all

Could you provide print screen of that option?

Windows 10 64bit

* August 13, 2017, 04:51:17 AM
Could you provide print screen of that option?

Will do, here is how it works on my system,  note there is not a lot of adjustment and if already in render mode, one sometimes has to switch to wireframe and back to render to get it to update,    for a lot of ambient adjustment one would use the ambient Luminance, http://www3.turbocadcommunity.com/tiki-index.php?page=RedSDK+Ambient+Luminance which will white out a whole screen if adjusted too high.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 04:56:06 AM by Andy H »

August 13, 2017, 05:09:25 AM
RedSDK Ambient and headlight Standard lights are not driven by the power value but by the colour and further adjustment within the lights RedSDK properties. see attached
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 06:05:04 AM by Darrel Durose »

Daz...
V2016 64-Bit & 32 Bit Platinum Edition - Build 61.2
RedSDK Only in 64 bit & 32 bit = RedSDK & Lightworks
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.
OS Windows7 Pro 64bit Lenovo W701 Laptop, 12GB Ram, 2 x 128 SSD harddrives, NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M Graphics, Intel i7 CPU...

* August 13, 2017, 06:39:21 AM
RedSDK Ambient and headlight Standard lights are not driven by the power value but by the colour and further adjustment within the lights RedSDK properties. see attached

Nice renders, Daz :) White acrylic  :P ,talk them into wood

You can have fun with the Material "reflectance"/"Gloss" properties too  ;D

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2016-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21(Best working version,IMHO) Using Lightworks for reliability/stability and testing redsdk, Anilab lab 5, Renditioner Pro V3. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

August 16, 2017, 01:50:54 AM
Thanks to all, very useful

Windows 10 64bit