TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Simple extrude with hatching
Read 245 times
* August 09, 2017, 05:33:55 PM
Seeking a bit of help please.
Long time user but have only ever worked in 2D as everytime I try 3D it becomes a bit daunting.
Program used mainly for 2D floor plans of kitchens (cabinetmaker) which I then use to draw elevation views.

This project involves a simple semi-circular benchtop at each end of a service counter that needs to be clad in aluminium checkerplate.

I need to send a drawing off to sheetmetal workers to price for me and want to send a simple isometric view.

I have drawn a 2d semicircle with checkerplate hatching and tried simple extrude and also tried giving it a thickness (50mm) under properties in 3d settings but the hatching never runs around the edge thickness and only remains on the top surface?

I understand this is probably very basic and have tried multiple searches so sorry in advance for the thickhead question!

I have never really explored the 3d options which is ridiculous as have been a user for many years, I still have my V12 reference manual in pristine condition

V7-2016 Pro
Win 10 Home 64bit
i5-6400CPU @2.70GHz 16GB
NVidia GeForce GTX960 4GB

* August 09, 2017, 11:15:49 PM
Something like this?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 11:17:41 PM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* August 10, 2017, 08:01:49 AM
Seeking a bit of help please.
Long time user but have only ever worked in 2D as everytime I try 3D it becomes a bit daunting.
Program used mainly for 2D floor plans of kitchens (cabinetmaker) which I then use to draw elevation views.

This project involves a simple semi-circular benchtop at each end of a service counter that needs to be clad in aluminium checkerplate.

I need to send a drawing off to sheetmetal workers to price for me and want to send a simple isometric view.

I have drawn a 2d semicircle with checkerplate hatching and tried simple extrude and also tried giving it a thickness (50mm) under properties in 3d settings but the hatching never runs around the edge thickness and only remains on the top surface?

I understand this is probably very basic and have tried multiple searches so sorry in advance for the thickhead question!

I have never really explored the 3d options which is ridiculous as have been a user for many years, I still have my V12 reference manual in pristine condition

If you're new to 3D, this is not as simple a task as it may seem. John R's example is a rendering of a 3D object with a Material applied (and I'm guessing it's a custom-made material at that). It is also possible to use only the Checkerplate hatching in a Wireframe screen to produce the result shown in the screenshot attached below, but IMO that's even more challenging than John's approach.

Henry H

* August 10, 2017, 05:45:24 PM
Thanks for both your comments guys

John's rendered drawing is pretty much how it will look with a sheet metal section in the middle.

What I was trying to do was more like Henry has shown, a wireframe isometric view showing the checkerplate around the edge as well as the top. Also tried to show the sheet metal middle section in my drawing and still cannot get the hatching to go down the drop front.

In the end I just sent what I could manage to come up with. Actually was trying to show from a different perspective (the curved face) but the dimension text was backwards or in the wrong spot.

"this is not as simple a task as it may seem", oh good!, was sure I was missing something blatantly obvious

pic attached of my effort

V7-2016 Pro
Win 10 Home 64bit
i5-6400CPU @2.70GHz 16GB

August 10, 2017, 06:53:29 PM
You could create a hidden line view in paper space and create some hatched polyline/spline 2D objects over top with the hatch. Set hatch scale and angle for each section as needed. I didn't have the same checker plate hatch as you so I just used the simple one that was in TurboCAD.

0001: Hidden Line with tangency lines suppressed
0002: Hidden Line with tangency lines visible
0003: Separated showing hatched objects off to the right.
0004: Settings for one segment
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 06:57:32 PM by Don Cheke »

* August 10, 2017, 11:58:31 PM
Thanks Don, will go through what you have suggested next week. The checkerplate hatch I used is the standard TC one from the drop down list

V7-2016 Pro
Win 10 Home 64bit
i5-6400CPU @2.70GHz 16GB

* August 11, 2017, 12:26:13 PM
I hadn't thought of Don's approach, but here's an even easier way to implement it:After extruding the semicircle, create a named View that shows it from the desired angle; go to Paperspace and insert a Viewport, placing the named View in the VP (you'll be prompted to select a View after inserting the VP). Being sure that the VP render is "Hidden Line," select the VP and Explode it. Apply Pick Point Hatch to the flat face and the curved face of the object, choosing the "Checkerplate" hatch.

Henry H
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 12:28:14 PM by Henry Hubich »

August 11, 2017, 12:42:02 PM
I hadn't thought of Don's approach, but here's an even easier way to implement it:After extruding the semicircle, create a named View that shows it from the desired angle; go to Paperspace and insert a Viewport, placing the named View in the VP (you'll be prompted to select a View after inserting the VP). Being sure that the VP render is "Hidden Line," select the VP and Explode it. Apply Pick Point Hatch to the flat face and the curved face of the object, choosing the "Checkerplate" hatch.

Henry H

Henry, I couldn't get the viewport to explode. That would have been my first choice but I assumed the ability was lost in this version since I couldn't do it.  64Bit Platinum TC 2017

* August 11, 2017, 01:05:22 PM
We cant explode a HL viewport if we are in RedSDK, maybe thats why Don.

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

August 11, 2017, 01:15:11 PM

Torfinn

That was it. My native draw is set to RedSDK. Changed to GDI and I was able to explode. It is hard to remember which hoops one must go through some days. I had forgotten this hoop existed at all.

* August 11, 2017, 01:55:27 PM

Torfinn

That was it. My native draw is set to RedSDK. Changed to GDI and I was able to explode. It is hard to remember which hoops one must go through some days. I had forgotten this hoop existed at all.

To mention yet another hoop, there's at least one version that requires the VP to be in Wireframe mode before it can be exploded. That one really sucks.

Henry H

* August 11, 2017, 03:35:34 PM
Drafting palette makes that unnecessary, and from memory, exploding HL views can have slightly ragged 'pictorial' results.  It's also easier to overlay various drafting palette views options to mix'n'match styles.  Exploding VPs is kinda legacy pre-V10, and the native draw thing is teeth-grinding

* August 12, 2017, 08:14:05 AM

"this is not as simple a task as it may seem", oh good!, was sure I was missing something blatantly obvious

Another option >
I created a "material texture" from TC's "checkerplate hatch".
Rendered with Lightworks "Radiosity preview"
I like maintaining the integrity of the object while having fun with the lightworks render engine.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2016-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21(Best working version,IMHO) Using Lightworks for reliability/stability and testing redsdk, Anilab lab 5, Renditioner Pro V3. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100