TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Expert Faceter Help, Quality Rendrer
Read 204 times
* August 06, 2017, 11:48:33 AM
I'm having some trouble with the Expert Faceter.  I'm using TurboCAD Pro Platinum 2017 64-bit. 

In a separate thread (http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,21279.0.html)  Henry helped me out by showing me how to use the Expert Faceter to make the rendered shape of a tubular sweep match its actual shape.   But, I see some strange artifacts now when using the expert faceter.

The attached file, WoExpertFaceter.PNG shows my drawing rendered in quality mode with out the expert faceter turned on.  Notice the distorted shape of the lower right longeron.   However, notice that the seat looks good.

When the Expert Facter is used to fix the longeron distortion issue, artifacts show up in the rendering.   WExpertFaceter.PNG shows the problem.  The longeron distortion issue is fixed, but there are strange rendering artifacts which show up on the seat and on the cabane strut reinforcement gussets (I've circled the offending areas)

This problem shows up even worse in draft mode (DraftWFacetr.PNG).

The seat itself doesn't have any areas which would show up like this.  See the SeatWireFrame.png file.   The seat is made from a very thin (0.040in) extrusion; maybe that has something to do with the problem?

For reference,  FaceterParameters.PNG shows the expert faceter parameters I use.   Are there any suggestions regarding how to get rid of these annoying artifacts?   Would they go away if Lightworks was used instead?

For your reference,  I've attached a .TCW file of just the seat.  It shows the same problems.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.   I'm sure that there's a simple fix, but I'm such a rendering novice that I can't seem to solve the problem.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 11:51:23 AM by jimhorner »

* August 06, 2017, 12:06:18 PM
Well,  after a little more playing around,  I seem to have fixed the problem.   I clicked "Use grid to edges" in the ACIS setup, and the artifacts went away.  I have no idea why it fixes the issue, but it does seem to have done the trick.