TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

How to set simple 2d text on a 3d object
Read 434 times
August 05, 2017, 12:25:25 PM
Hello,
I'm trying to put a text on a 3d object with some material applied.

For instance in the attached file.

After rendering, text looses visibility.

I have not changed properities of the text (don't need 3d text), just size and set color to black.

Is there something that should be set in order to display text on object? I've tried Bring to Front command on the text, but without any effect.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 12:28:52 PM by tarmiricmi »

Windows 10 64bit
TC 2016 Pro 64bit, RedSDK
Lenovo M92p I5 3550 8GB RAM NVIDIA GForce GTX 1050ti 4GB

* August 05, 2017, 12:57:14 PM
Select the text, right click and go to properties (or use the selection palette), and under the 'Mode' heading change the text to Scalable.

Regards Black - you haven't any choice if rendering in quality in RedSDK,  because of a limitation in RedSDK - its all you get.

August 05, 2017, 01:14:54 PM
Select the text, right click and go to properties (or use the selection palette), and under the 'Mode' heading change the text to Scalable.

Regards Black - you haven't any choice if rendering in quality in RedSDK,  because of a limitation in RedSDK - its all you get.

That functions, but not very well. It is not usable.

Regarding text colour, that means no other colour than black with RedSDK?

Windows 10 64bit

* August 05, 2017, 01:32:17 PM
Sorry - should have also mentioned, if the object has a material applied as opposed to just pen colour, you may need to raise the text just slightly away the surface of the object, something like 0.001 away may do it, just like when two objects occupy the same space one gets interference, the same thing can happen to scalable text in RedSDK.

The 'black' applies to any quality rendered 2D whether its lines or text, (Its ok in draft rendering), I added it to the forum wish list, but no idea if IMSI read it or not,  http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,20264.0.html

August 05, 2017, 01:43:00 PM
Sorry - should have also mentioned, if the object has a material applied as opposed to just pen colour, you may need to raise the text just slightly away the surface of the object, something like 0.001 away may do it, just like when two objects occupy the same space one gets interference, the same thing can happen to scalable text in RedSDK.

The 'black' applies to any quality rendered 2D whether its lines or text, (Its ok in draft rendering), I added it to the forum wish list, but no idea if IMSI read it or not,  http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,20264.0.html

Raising text solves the problem, thanks.

Excellent suggestion regarding colour of the 2d objects.

Windows 10 64bit

* August 05, 2017, 02:11:10 PM
Have you considered making the Text 3D.
The way I see it, everything in the real world is 3D, including painted-on Text on an object.

For example:
Set the Text "Mode" to "Flexible"
In the Text's 3D Properties, set the Thickness to something minimal-- such as .001
Assign a Material to the Text, such as "Paint/Black".

Just something to consider.

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

August 08, 2017, 04:04:02 PM
Another option is to select a Text object and make it Flexible (under the 'Text' tab) and give it a thickness (under the '3D' tab).

I had to Explode it twice to Bend it as shown here, but if you want to put it on a flat surface, the first paragraph is all you need.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

August 18, 2017, 10:20:18 AM
Another option is to select a Text object and make it Flexible (under the 'Text' tab) and give it a thickness (under the '3D' tab).

I had to Explode it twice to Bend it as shown here, but if you want to put it on a flat surface, the first paragraph is all you need.

Jeff

I have been trying 'forever' to put TEXT on a 3D object and save it as STEP, always fails with can't save solid object. Attached are three files;
RGY20_3P05x2P05.step the original 3D image, PCF8574RGYR-20_3P05x2P05.twc step exploded twice and text added then saved to twc and PCF8574RGYR-20_3P05x2P05-mod.twc with the text changed to flexible, given a thickness, made into surface from solid BUT I still can not save it as STEP, the solid error thing.   

TurboCad V12~V2x Platinum Pro Edition + CAM Plug-In +  Surface Modeling + Survey Coordinates RedSDK
Windows 10 Pro Anniversary Editions 1703 OSB 15063.296
x64 I7 12GB NVIDIA Quadro

Hobby User

* August 18, 2017, 11:07:28 AM

Jeff

I have been trying 'forever' to put TEXT on a 3D object and save it as STEP, always fails with can't save solid object. Attached are three files;
RGY20_3P05x2P05.step the original 3D image, PCF8574RGYR-20_3P05x2P05.twc step exploded twice and text added then saved to twc and PCF8574RGYR-20_3P05x2P05-mod.twc with the text changed to flexible, given a thickness, made into surface from solid BUT I still can not save it as STEP, the solid error thing.

I eventually had to select everything and change all the objects from "Surface" to "Solid", then it would save in the Step format. I extruded the text in the original file; you don't need to make it Flexible anymore.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* August 18, 2017, 12:04:55 PM
PCF8574RGYR-20_3P05x2P05.twc step exploded twice and text added then saved to twc and PCF8574RGYR-20_3P05x2P05-mod.tcw with the text changed to flexible, given a thickness, made into surface from solid BUT I still can not save it as STEP, the solid error thing.

made into surface from solid BUT I still can not save it as STEP, the solid error thing.

From what I read step is a 3d solid model format, which basically - as far as TC is concerned you need everything into ACIS format (text, any 2d, and any TC surfaces - all need converting to ACIS somehow), before saving to Step, the text won't work unless you either use John's method, or exploding 3 times to TCsurface then change to solid in the 3D properties - TC will warn you about doing this though..

Or - set the thickness back to '0' then explode the text twice, (to polylines) and use the surface from profile tool, to convert to ACIS surface (sheet) solids. (yep - gets confusing what's TC surface and ACIS surface) this will keep the text flat,  though I've no ides how other programs will interpret this.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 12:14:02 PM by Andy H »

August 18, 2017, 03:07:17 PM
A long search has ended... John's method works so my process to add text to the STEP models provided by the Integrated Circuit vendor supplied parts:

Source https://goo.gl/u88cfJ which leads to https://goo.gl/ZFhvHT select Step and download it. drag RGY20_3P05x2P05.step out of the zip and open with TC. or use the attached steps.zip
(My first try)
Open the STP/STEP model, Alt+PgDw view Isometric SE, Text properties Text Color White Height 0.5 mm Mode Standard and enter the text needed. Select Simple Extrude then click on the text, tab to inspector bar, enter 0.001 for the height. Select the new Simple Excluded text, right click and select WorkPlane by Facet and select the top of the IC then drag the simple extrude to where it is needed. Select the text (not the extruded text) and delete it. I checked the simple extrude to make sure it was a solid and it was then saved the drawing.
But: TurboCAD changes the body of the device to gray, the same color as the pads. I've done this three times with different results each time.

On the original STEP model when I first imported/opened it and looked at it's properties the pen color was light gray for the body and leads, when I exploded the model everything was still light gray with TurboCAD but if you take the model and open it in FreeCAD the pads are light gray and the body is black. Same thing with my PCB software, gray/black.
Original model opened in TurboCAD

Original model opened in FreeCAD

Original model opened in DipTrace

Modified Original model opened in DipTrace after I changed the pads, body and added text, something I have not been able to repeat....

Why does TurboCAD change the model properties of a step image on open? After you open and try to exit without doing anything TurboCAD notifies you that the model has changed...

TurboCad V12~V2x Platinum Pro Edition + CAM Plug-In +  Surface Modeling + Survey Coordinates RedSDK
Windows 10 Pro Anniversary Editions 1703 OSB 15063.296
x64 I7 12GB NVIDIA Quadro

Hobby User

* August 18, 2017, 08:55:07 PM
RE: …Why does TurboCAD change the model properties of a step image on open? After you open and try to exit without doing anything, TurboCAD notifies you that the model has changed.

I opened and looked at the model from different views, then closed it. I didn't get any message.

If I go to Paper Space and back to Model Space, then I get a "Save changes to…" window. If I select something and look at its Properties dialog, then click "OK" instead of "Cancel", then I get a "Save changes to…" window.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit