TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Searching the symbol library
Read 93 times
* July 30, 2017, 10:56:37 AM
Hi All,

Having done one woodwork project with TurboCAD 2016 which worked well actually, I'm back at it with TC Deluxe 2017. And of course I have a couple of questions.

1. I am trying to find a symbol I know now is not present. But while using the library palette I could not figure out how to search the library. It looks like you have to go through the tree structure searching manually. Is there a search capability where I can just enter some text and have it look for all matching names or descriptions ?

2. I have a seen a variety of posts on fastener symbols and such. Am I right that the situation is still much the same that there is not general symbol library containing the regular common fasteners, like T-nuts, cross-dowels, connector bolts and so on ? If so then I'll begin compiling my own from vendor catalogs, but thought I would check first.

Thx
D

TurboCAD 2016 Deluxe 32 and 64 bit
Win 10 64 bit

* July 30, 2017, 02:26:54 PM
As far as I know, there isn't any "Search" mechanism.

I've always found McMaster-Carr to be a great place for symbols. SAT is great for TurboCAD Platinum, but not sure what will work in TurboCAD Deluxe for 3D; SAT won't. Click on a "Product Detail" to see what is available in 3D and 2D, plus loads of other info.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* July 30, 2017, 04:04:47 PM
Hi John,

Thanx for the response.

Curious there is no search but oh well.

I can get a STEP file from McMaster converted to a number of formats which Deluxe will read. For those who want to try this you can download FreeCAD and use it to convert from STEP to IFC, DAE, STL and in theory DWG, DXF which I'm trying now. Unfortunately IFC, DAE and STL come in as a bunch of facts rather than more native TC types but I suppose that is to be expected. I'm guessing that cleaning them up to surfaces in TC deluxe might be impossible. Exploding created a bunch of lines but recomposing them into something more manageable would be a bunch of work.

Ok I'll play a bit more and see.

Thx
D

TurboCAD 2016 Deluxe 32 and 64 bit
Win 10 64 bit