TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Basic snap 2D / 3D issue. Howto?
Read 298 times
* July 21, 2017, 06:17:12 AM
Gents,

Some off the things I run into and troubles with is the snap to 3d objects etc.

I have an example here and I hope someone may help me get the skills.
Sure I have tested with different settings, but I struggle big time.

I try set out an circle with: Circle Tan to entities
I'm NOT able to use the tool on the 3D box, but I am able to snap on same box and set out helplines.
With the helplines I am able to use the tool and get the circle in place.

Best regards
NeverStop

* July 21, 2017, 07:38:03 AM
Hi.   Whilst the help files do not specifically state 2D entities, the tool (and some others) are really designed for 2D work, i.e. working with lines, polygons etc. its the same with other tool like the perpendicular line tool, they are programmed to auto snap to 2D objects.

The difference to other 2D tools, is that they work by auto-detecting a 2D object to snap to, simply by clicking the line (no physical snap needed), with others like the 3 point circle, one physically snaps to 3 different points so it will work (sort of) on 3D objects.

you can see this by, draw a box, explode to ACIS, circle tangent won't work, - explode to TC Surface, Explode to polylines, Circle Tangent works.

* July 24, 2017, 10:06:28 AM
You and me both!
I have never tried circle tan to entities in 3d, but have tried many other things. What I have found is that the line tool seems to be more "sticky" than the others. If you set your workplane to an appropriate plane, you can usually draw a line which will then enable you to use a snap with a different drawing tool.
Good luck!

* July 24, 2017, 11:48:44 AM
Thanks for your reply Andy and Peter.

I assume I actually not doing anything wrong now and this is just weakness or lack in program.
Silly my wasted a lot of time blamed myself...

Would it be an idea to ask for improvement in this area to allow all 2D tool stick to also 3D shapes?
I noticed some is more sticky. Helplines to put out an circle should not be needed.

Actually I put out the circle as a help circle... :-)

Best regards
NeverStop