TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Thread Checker Storage Boxes
Read 421 times
July 19, 2017, 07:47:32 PM
Some time ago I purchased two sets of thread checkers and have enjoyed using them for the most part. http://www.threadtoolsupply.com/thread-checker.html. The sets comes strung together on a wire that can be hung and accessed easily. Since I do all my work at a desk and usually on smaller objects I found the string of checkers a bit of a pain to handle.

Having access to CAD and a 3D printer I decided to design a box to store each set. I created the imperial box first and found that the metric would fit in the holes as well so I just printed the same box for each set but with different colors. Attached is the result. The filament printed boxes had some warping and some of the tolerances were off even though I designed with the MakerBot tolerances in mind. Sadly, I didn't do a very good job installing the foam cushions but it will have to do.

I still get a thrill when I am able to design something from scratch and produce the results, even if only on a lower quality 3D printer. I checked what they would have cost to print at Shapeways and each box would have cost about $250.00 - but had this been a product to bring to market I would have done that since they have better tolerances and no warping, so a better prototype.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 05:12:07 AM by Don Cheke »

* July 21, 2017, 03:35:05 AM
Very nice work on the boxes Don, you mentioned warping, is that because its using ABS, I've never tried using ABS but have read that its more difficult to control warp than PLA, That said the Makerbot being an enclosed printer would handle it a lot better than what I've got.

July 21, 2017, 06:25:56 AM
Very nice work on the boxes Don, you mentioned warping, is that because its using ABS, I've never tried using ABS but have read that its more difficult to control warp than PLA, That said the Makerbot being an enclosed printer would handle it a lot better than what I've got.

Thanks Andy.

I can only run ABS on this printer. The warping occurred by the outside corners at the build plate area. It probably cooled at a different rate that the rest. That is my guess as to the warpage and perhaps, as you  say, maybe ABS is more prone to this.

July 22, 2017, 01:47:28 PM
Don, the end product is great. When I first stated to read, I thought that you had purchased thread parallels which can be expensive and further reading proved me wrong. The product you purchased is not such a silly idea at all, infact I think it a damned good one! My job, I am asked many times "Steve, what is this thread?" Those who ask could well do with these tools.

TC2015 Pro Platinum.
TurboCad V21 Pro Platinum 64 bit. TurboCad V21 Pro Platinum 32 bit CADCAM.
TurboCAD 2015 ProPlat.
TurboCAD LTE/DoubleCAD Pro V7.
TurboCAD Deluxe V21 64 bit.
VISI 21 CADCAM
Christchurch, Middle Earth.