TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Radius top of cone
Read 165 times
* July 10, 2017, 02:26:40 PM
Hi all,

Does anybody know how I would go about changing the top of a cone to a radius? I tried fillet, but that won't select the peak. For example, if I had a cone at the nose of a jet fighter and wanted to change it to a blunt nose and stick it on an airliner.

Thanks,
Jim

* July 10, 2017, 02:50:17 PM
Try using the "Cut Cone by plane" or "…as lofting" option. Select the cone and get its "Top Radius". This will be the maximum radius you can use with the "Fillet Edges" tool. Something to experiment with.

You might find it easier to draw a 2D half-profile of the cone with fillet, then use the Revolve tool to spin it into a 3D solid.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 03:57:41 PM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* July 10, 2017, 03:44:06 PM
Thanks John,

That was what I needed. I figured out the top radius part, but I was having trouble with the changing height when I changed the top radius. I wanted to keep the angle at 45 deg. So I decreased the height of cut by 1 mm and voila, I had the 1 mm radius and the height stayed the same, therefore so did the angle. I then just did an Edit Content in the part tree and put a 1mm radius fillet on it.

The problem with re-doing the 3D solid was that the feature is so buried in the part tree that I was scared to try that. It might be a simple task for some, but I didn't want to have to de-construct my model to replace the cone.

Thanks for the assistance,
Jim