TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Wire rapping tool - many polylines
Read 408 times
* June 25, 2017, 05:42:27 PM
I need to be able to wrap wires on a core such as in the image on  http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/workshop/learning-center/transformer.html. The wire wrapping tool is supposed to do this and it does but then it leave a bunch of in-joined polylines which I can't seem to join. I would then like to sweep the wrap with a circle as shown in the sparse Turbocad documentation. Can anyone give me some insight on this?

Thanks.

* June 25, 2017, 06:39:33 PM
The wire-wrapping tool is intended to create paths for sweeps, but a literal continuous winding for a transformer is, if not impossible, radically improbable.  I don't think that there's any way that you could generate such a path in which the outer surface of a solid wire  could lay exactly together for even a two-row, two-layer sweep without self-intersection, unless the wire path is straight lines and arcs so that the produced sweep is cylinders and helical toroidal sections, and a blend between those two profiles wouldn't be circular.  Use the outer layer of the wire you've produced to try and fake it, but I doubt that even that can be easily done without self-intersection.  It might be possible if the profile is an open arc rather than a circle, but ACIS has algorithms that try to overcome things like that, because it's predicated on production practicality over artistic fakery.   

* June 25, 2017, 07:38:52 PM
Welcome,  are you wishing it for a rendered view or hidden line,  for hidden line sweeping along a helix should be sufficient or even just a few Torus, for a rendered view, I'd fake it, As Murray says, its impractical (unless there are very few windings) to create an accurate winding.

If you really wanted a realistic winding, for a circular one sweep along a number of Helix (sweep one set, draw a second one slightly larger sweep etc.), non-circular, snap a 3d spline or polyline at intervals and sweep along that.

Personally I'd fake it,  with a wrapped image, the ones attached are not perfect but the only image I had for the wrapping.       

* June 25, 2017, 09:02:31 PM
You may find some helpful info it the article referenced in this link: http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,15862.msg92031.html#msg92031

Henry H

* June 26, 2017, 05:34:45 PM
Welcome,  are you wishing it for a rendered view or hidden line, 
Personally I'd fake it,  with a wrapped image, the ones attached are not perfect but the only image I had for the wrapping.     

I would post an image of what I have tried in another package. But basically it is a square core wrapped with a helix that is bigger than the core. The nice thing about this wire rapping tool in TC is the path can hug the surface.  In the TC docs for the tool they show a circle profile sweeping the path but I don't seem to be able to make that happen. Does anyone know how it is done?

Thanks.

* June 26, 2017, 08:17:47 PM
Welcome,  are you wishing it for a rendered view or hidden line, 

I would post an image of what I have tried in another package. But basically it is a square core wrapped with a helix that is bigger than the core. The nice thing about this wire rapping tool in TC is the path can hug the surface.  In the TC docs for the tool they show a circle profile sweeping the path but I don't seem to be able to make that happen. Does anyone know how it is done?

Thanks.

It's probably best to use the Rail Sweep tool. Select the Profile (circle) and then a Point object. Click on the Wire Wrap. The circle should get swept along the wrap. The profile can be anywhere, instead of 'normal' to the initial line of the Wire Wrap.

Also, you can and should use "Use Compound Profile" and "Use Compound Path" from the Local Menu.

TurboCAD 2015 example attached: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zplumktt6796tqi/Wire%20Wrap-01.zip?dl=0
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 08:23:20 PM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit