TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Graphic card issue? Ot just bad card? TC 19.2 File
Read 419 times
* June 24, 2017, 11:28:22 AM
Gents.

I'm attaching some files to show my problem.

My graphic card is: Nvida Gforce GTX 560

Is it other stuff going on or just very bad card?

Please also if you want open the file and tell me how its goes with your setup?

Best regards
NeverStop

June 24, 2017, 01:08:44 PM
This is what I see when loading your file (first image).

Please list your system components.  To do this, bring up the About TurboCAD... popup under Help and click on System Info

Then, under Components, click on Display.  From there, you can do a screen grab.

Also, check Display adapters under Device Manager to see if there are any conflicts.

I expect you will not find any problems, but it is good to be sure as these are the operational foundations of your system display.

Now, in TurboCAD, try switching Native Draw (under Options) to GDI.

If that works, turn off Display Workplane and try switching back to RedSDK.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* June 24, 2017, 02:03:06 PM
Thanks Jeffin90620

This is what I see also before I rotate the redbull holder for my car I 3D print.
But few movements and it turns like I show you. I will supply and test the other you mention.

* June 24, 2017, 02:45:47 PM
Are you using GDI mode or RedSDK,  (options menu - native draw).

With v19 and this type of problem, I'd suggest GDI mode,  then go into Options menu - Desktop, and turn off 'Open GL hardware acceleration', then in model space, right click the render teapot (or view menu - camera properties), select each of 'wireframe'  'hidden', 'draft' etc. and make sure none of them are set to open GL. (you may well have draft as open GL - switch it to Lightworks), my personal settings are wireframe = Native, Hidden = hidden line, both draft and quality = Lightworks

This should stop the problem from happening (hopefully).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 03:28:50 PM by Andy H »

* June 25, 2017, 03:04:05 AM
Thanks Andy,

I using GDI and turned off hardware acceleration and this did the trick. Now I can rock it :-)

However does this mean my graphiv car not will be able to run the RedSDK ?

Should I aim for better card? I see some used ones very cheap here on the second hand marked.

* June 25, 2017, 05:19:34 AM
I using GDI and turned off hardware acceleration and this did the trick. Now I can rock it :-)

However does this mean my graphiv car not will be able to run the RedSDK ?

Should I aim for better card? I see some used ones very cheap here on the second hand marked.

Good question, which unfortunately I can't properly answer, this is because I just tried in v19 to switch to RedSDK and my system won't let me switch, I have no problem switching in v18, v20, v21 but v19 automatically reverts back to GDI, I'm using a gtx660 graphics card.

If your system will accept RedSDK then it will automatically turn back on OpenGL when switching to RedSDK so no problem there, (it will throw up a dialog telling you it is turning OpenGL back on), your card should be able to handle OpenGL in RedSDK, but OpenGL does not work well in GDI mode on my system, hence my suggestion to turn it off.

I suggested using GDI as - in the early years of Red the main advantage as far as I know was when working on large drawings in wireframe, great if people do large 2D drawings but Red had some problems in other ways, and as you were doing 3D / rendering, GDI offered advantages over Red by using the CPU so there are no graphic/compatibility issues,  I would personally doubt a new graphics card will help much with v19, (others may disagree).     

* June 25, 2017, 08:02:17 AM
Pretty sure I have same issue as you.

Leter today I will test and switch between red & gid.
I will anyway have a look for one og the graphic cards, some is pretty heavy duty. But sure I need check motherboard is compatible.

Also I have one good offer for upgrade to 21. And I assume 21 is only using RED ?
Is this actually a drawback ??

* June 25, 2017, 09:01:36 AM
21 was the last one that have both, LigthWork and RedSDK, in 2015 ( 22 ) they changed to only RedSDK and LW as a plugin.

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* July 01, 2017, 04:10:32 AM
Gents I played little with this and it seems look REDsdk forces the Open GL to be turned ON.

At least I get the render problems as shown. And stick to GDI I assume same as Lightwork?

Does it mean after TC 21 an invstement for new graphic card is needed?

Best regards

NeverStop

July 01, 2017, 04:44:04 AM
Gents I played little with this and it seems look REDsdk forces the Open GL to be turned ON.
Does it mean after TC 21 an invstement for new graphic card is needed?

Yes, RedSDK is an OpenGL-based graphics engine.

No, you do not have to get another graphics card as OpenGL can be implemented in software and run on the CPU.

Jeff

System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* July 01, 2017, 05:01:07 AM
Thanks for the help, Jeff!

Is it a piece of SW you need to buy?

Or, if I go for new card. What size is mininum? And reccomended?

NeverStop

July 01, 2017, 05:27:19 AM
We're all happy to help.

The CPU approach is built in to TurboCAD, so you don't have to buy anything extra.  With the 2017 version, the Quality renders use the CPU and the Advanced renders use the GPU.  That's not the case with earlier versions (the GPU had to be turned on elsewhere and that location changed with the version).  Your problem shouldn't have happened, but there are just too many ways for things to go wrong with computer setups.

If you get a new card, I'd get one with an Nvidia GPU (they license the design, so there are at least 5 manufacturers).  2 GB absolute minimum on memory (mine has 4).

If you want the absolute best performance, you'll have to get a 'workstation' card, but they're pricey.  Very few of us have one.  I just got one that was highly rated as a Gaming card.

Jeff