TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Good approach to draw tubular framework (party tent similar) in 3D
Read 688 times
* June 24, 2017, 07:15:25 AM
Gents,

I want to make an 3D model of the tubular framework of a big tent. Whatever tent poles/framework is similar.

May anyone share how you would do it and give som examples?

All help welcome, and thanks!

Best regards
NeverStop

* June 24, 2017, 09:43:47 AM
Since party tents come in all sizes and shapes, can you provide a picture of the size/shape you're interested in?

Henry H

* June 24, 2017, 11:20:26 AM
Hi Henry, actually I asked in a more general way since it did not think it matters.

But this is pretty similar but not the actual.

http://www.rubb.no/fx_pdf/fxi_25_ventilert.pdf

NeverStop

* June 24, 2017, 01:45:20 PM
Hei AldriStopp ;)

Make the first one and then just copy it out in how many you need, deepending of the total lengt and CC distance.

If you do this often, different sizes and so on, i would recomend you to learn PPM scripting, easy and very funny when you get the hang of it.
See attached, takes about 3-4 sec for TC to Draw the main part x 3, of course many hour to make the ppm, but then later it is very easy to adjust to whatever size you like.
Attached is 3 different ppm's set together and worked on a bit, about 6 hours i think to remember for finish project, but the main house was about 3-4 sec, and that is sort of the basic you will need for your kind of tent also ;)

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

June 24, 2017, 03:25:49 PM
Attached is 3 different ppm's set together and worked on a bit, about 6 hours i think to remember for finish project, but the main house was about 3-4 sec, and that is sort of the basic you will need for your kind of tent also ;)

I'd very much like to see a video of this being demonstrated.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* June 24, 2017, 05:04:22 PM
Hi Jeff

Or maybe "Tjenare" as i belive your familyname is from Sweden ;)
The demo file is to big for the Forum, so i added it on my YouTube

https://youtu.be/y-kYQU8nS94

Torfinn

Deluxe V20, V21, 2015
RedSDK enabled

* June 25, 2017, 08:04:03 AM
Here is parts of the actual framework!

-NeverStop!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 03:04:42 AM by NeverStop »

* June 25, 2017, 08:13:55 AM
Heihei Torfinn,

In this project I more look for the technic. Should I trace lines in 2d or should use 3d  and bend tubes etc.
Sure I know its several ways. And I would like to know of the options.

I'm very impressed of the ppmn and would like to know more about.
But this project is just to deliver measurements to get new fabric, most easy is to just take the notes on paper.
However I think its looks like a nice learning project.

For my little drawing I can't afford your package, but I wish :-)

-NeverStop-

Hei AldriStopp ;)

Make the first one and then just copy it out in how many you need, deepending of the total lengt and CC distance.

If you do this often, different sizes and so on, i would recomend you to learn PPM scripting, easy and very funny when you get the hang of it.
See attached, takes about 3-4 sec for TC to Draw the main part x 3, of course many hour to make the ppm, but then later it is very easy to adjust to whatever size you like.

Torfinn

* June 25, 2017, 09:12:21 AM
Hei AldriStopp

Yes i know, thats why i say if you should do many of them.

Else i think i would just draw it with lines/ polylines and then make some profiles ( circle's and or recktangle's ) and used the sweep tool.
I also noticed in the pic that it is made of just a few parts, the sides is the same on both side so there it is just to mirrorcopy to the other side, middlesection of the roof is made with 2 standard parts and then the top, so it should be easy to draw it,

Torfinn

Deluxe V20, V21, 2015
RedSDK enabled

* July 01, 2017, 04:03:38 AM
Gents,

I updated my earlier post with a picture, seems like I forgot to add last time.

So far I just set out: box, and cylinder with subtract. A couple of helplines to determine angle.

I have asked for some other issues in the forum "Tips and trips" Please have a look if any time.

Best regards

NeverStop

* July 01, 2017, 06:55:40 AM
Could you not have picked a simpler one to draw  ;)

Personally, before I started the 3D I'd draw it in 2D so that all the angles can be measured, and marking where all the welded pieces go,  the big problem with trying to draw from that picture you posted is being able to tell how the 7 way joint goes together, which bits are welded together and which are bolted, hopefully your drawing it from looking at the 'real thing'  or from a video of it being constructed, if not there is going to be some guesswork as to how it fits together.

From looking at is its mostly just cylinders and boxes,  for the 'flat' ends of the cylinders where bolts would go through, I'd use the face to face loft tool to join a box to the end of a cylinder, and although in real life they are probably tubes, I wouldn't bother making them hollow as its totally unnecessary.

* July 01, 2017, 07:31:02 AM
Haha... Andy! Noop! This one is very good to learn on :-) However I need some beer after the attemps.

But the issue I have now is actually placing the flat iron I talking about in other post.

http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,21233.0.html

I have the actual piece just few meters from me and see all how it made.
I'm not concerning about holes etc now. Just the outer stuff to get me correct measurements for the fabric.

Yes I planned using the loft tool or extrude to face or something.

You are welcome to dive into in as much as you want :-)

NeverStop

* July 01, 2017, 07:55:18 AM
It wasn't until I just saw your other thread (left reply) that I realised how part of it fitted together, I wrongly assumed every pole / bracket etc. was a separate bolted entity, which is why I was struggling to figure out the 7 way thing.

* July 01, 2017, 08:03:09 AM
Aha--- Ok I see! Just ask for info if you need! I know work arounds for few things, But I prefer do it hard way to be good as possible,

I want to nail! But the flat iron I think will be a work plan issue. This is properly my biggest thing here work plan!

* July 01, 2017, 10:25:55 AM
Hei AldriStopp

With your last pic i understand why the dia was just 60 mm. in the file you add here earlier, it is not the FXI25 that you showed in the beginning of this tread.
I didnt understand it in the beginning as the PDF indicated much bigger dimensions, and that dimensions made sense comperred to the width.
But i did take a brake from my numbers today and give it a og with this D = 60, and i was pretty close to the messurment on the inside the way i did think it was constructed.
Roof angle is 35/ 20/ 10 degree on attached.

I think same way as Andy, make 2D on world first, then it is easy to make and just rotate 90 degree later, or use it to take meassurement on if you want to draw it directly in 3D.
Blue and green are sweep paths, thin red is helpline, thick red is outersides of frames.
3050 on the top roof is what controlling the rest of the roof.

Torfinn

Deluxe V20, V21, 2015
RedSDK enabled

* July 01, 2017, 11:48:08 AM
Heihei Torfinn :-)

Yes the first structure was just an example for type of structure..  I attach a picture showing the complete side and with mirror its complete :-)

I see may things have been much faster with 2D. When this section done I will do again.
But for me its the planes who confusing me in 3D, maybe TC is not aimed how I think?  And maybe more 2D use is better?
Or I just need to get the plans right once and rest is explore tools?

Right now I struggling do a slice :-) I attach the file. I try slice the line marked in yellow to get correct edge or closer.
I assume its other way to do ? I hope at least :-)

I also struggling put on some dimension in 3D to check angle!!  I hope to get first section done tomorrow!! Maybe :-)

NeverStop

* July 01, 2017, 11:54:19 AM
Next upcoming section in picture surrounded by my nice red circle :-)

I was thinking something like this:

- reference point is the 90 degree beam in top.
- Put out and cylinder and play with bend tool for the angle?
- Or draw a line and circle and sweep
- offset. I struggle to get offset to work Its greyet out.

And just carry on :-)

Any suggest is welcome!

Best regards

NeverStop!

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 06:31:31 AM by NeverStop »

* July 09, 2017, 06:45:58 AM
Gents,

The section I draw with help from other here is by real life measurements.

Only hard measurment was the tallest tube. 2990mm
Other I did with purpose not to accurate to give me some realistic world.

I.e. The angle of the right tube was given by the center distance in height 1400mm.

Due to this I now have some distances / angles who need to be adjusted.

I know how to redraw all, and I will do for the exercise itself. But I also assume Its possible to adjust.

But how much work is it? Will other parts follow when I.e. the height is lowered and the to beam get changed angle?

Here is what I think is many tools to lock one angle etc. Adjust only etc.

Anyone want to share some tips to adjust i.e. the top beam from 59.22 to 60 degree?

Best regards
NeverStop