TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Gussets
Read 522 times
* June 12, 2017, 02:51:56 PM
Does anyone know of any calcs or cumputations on gusset strength based on the gusset size?

I do know the weights that I will in most cases carry if that helps.

Thanks

Daz

Darryl
TCW 2015 Platinum, TCW 2016 Platinum, TCW 2017 Platinum, Graficalc & Windows 10
using Lightworks & Redsdk

* June 12, 2017, 02:57:13 PM
Further based on either 6 or 9mm plate thickness with a 90 degree bend what size gusset would be required to double the matural strength of that plate and bend ?

Using either mild steel or ally.

Thanks

Daz

Darryl

* June 12, 2017, 03:14:00 PM
Further based on either 6 or 9mm plate thickness with a 90 degree bend what size gusset would be required to double the matural strength of that plate and bend ?

Using either mild steel or ally.

Thanks

Daz

Need more info, Daz. Depends upon the design configuration and the loading.

Henry H

* June 13, 2017, 03:25:56 PM
Henry please excuse for not replying sooner.  Been having a repeated unhandled exceptions in 2017.

So if you take a 3d box size of 600 long by 460 wide by 6 thickness ( all mm ) and bend from the left edge ( along the length ) to 350 mm. How many gussets ( thinking no more than 4 ) could I use to increase the strength of the bend when the load may vary from 20lb to say 190lb+ ( 8kg to 90kg) using mild aluminium?

Thanks

Daz

Darryl

* June 13, 2017, 07:01:01 PM
Still not enough info, Daz. Where and in what direction is the load applied? Is it a concentrated load, a uniformly distributed load, a nonuniformly distributed load, a number of concentrated loads, or what? How and where is the object supported? All of those factors affect the maximum stress in the object and the distribution of stress.

Henry H

* June 14, 2017, 02:57:02 PM
Henry, In drawing1.tcw this represents a toe plate for the hand truck designs. Simple box with a bend radius of 25 degrees and bend angle of 90 with two slots. The density of the ally alloy is 2.85 g/cm3. hope that helps. What load requirements can I place on this toe plate and not see any detectable deflection after unloading? What load requirements can I place on this toe plate and not see any measurable deflection after unloading?
These toeplates may made from either 6mm to 9mm for alumnium and or mild steel.
Finally, just got my patent organised so I will post pictures later today as this will clarify the designs and the loading of objects etc.

Thanks

Daz

Darryl

* June 14, 2017, 03:17:01 PM
The drawing helps, Daz, but I still need to know how this object is mounted and what aluminum alloy you intend to use.

Henry H

* June 22, 2017, 03:55:33 PM
Henry, apologies for not getting back sooner. Our patents are done and now finalsing the renders. Your photo realism tutorial has helped bug time thanks.

Will publish renders and re ask as soon as Ive got it all done.
Thanks
Daz

Darryl