TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Hole dimensioning in TC2017
Read 187 times
* June 11, 2017, 06:31:45 AM
Hi.
I'm working my way through the TC2017 2D tutorials and find placing hole dimensions (Rad and Dia) is problematic.
The dimension doesn't go where I want it to go, but tends to be in a different orientation.
I attach the drawing I've been working on.  The dimensions in question are coloured in magenta.  I'd be glad to know what I'm doing wrong, as I have changed most properties and found it makes no difference.  I also tried selecting the dimension and moving the Reference point to the hole centre and rotating around to where I wanted it.  It didn't work.
Nick Giles

* June 11, 2017, 07:17:38 AM
The circle on the top was ok, left and rigth i selected and "Place on Workplane" then they get correct, the one in bottom i need to rotate about x 180 and y 180, PoW and it showed correct, maybe you have used the Mirror copy on the last one, and was you in 2D mode when making the 2D drawing ??

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* June 11, 2017, 07:48:52 AM
It looks like the circles were drawn in a 3D world and hence the objects workplane is incorrect.

Just to add to Torfinn's reply,  it looks like you used the Radial copy tool whilst the selector was set to 3D, when this is done the copies go off the world workplane and get rotated. 

If the selector - which is the dialog that appears after clicking the first icon to the right of the inspection bar fields - is set to 3D, then quite often 2D items will go off the world workplane,  causing things like this to happen,  As Torfinn says, selecting the workplane by world (workspace menu - workplane  or ctrl+alt+w) then clicking the affected objects, and use format menu - place on workplane or shift+alt+w,  puts the circle (or all circles) onto to world workplane.

Some people leave the selector at 2D / 3D depending, which can help prevent workplane problems, me - I leave it at 3D and simply use place on workplane when things look wrong. 

* June 11, 2017, 12:14:40 PM
Thanks Torfinn and Andy.  That seems to have fixed it.  I will remember this tip for the future.

* June 11, 2017, 03:52:26 PM
Thanks Torfinn and Andy.  That seems to have fixed it.  I will remember this tip for the future.
Hi Giles ,
you shouldn't need to remember a tip that repairs a TC Quirk/Bug in the program
Report it as a BUG

I'd say it's a BUG > see attached video. Activate the video by clicking on it.
The dimensions look good at first until I zoomed with the mouse wheel,screwy.
I was in GDI mode.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2016-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21(Best working version,IMHO) Using Lightworks for reliability/stability and testing redsdk, Anilab lab 5, Renditioner Pro V3. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

* June 11, 2017, 04:29:34 PM
As Andy sez, "Just to add to Torfinn's reply,  it looks like you used the Radial copy tool whilst the selector was set to 3D, when this is done the copies go off the world workplane and get rotated." When radial copying, the "+Rot" field of the Inspector Bar controls the rotation of each copy about its own Reference Point. Set that value to zero if you don't want the orientation of the copies to change. That holds for both 2D and 3D mode.

Henry H

* June 12, 2017, 11:18:35 AM
Thanks Dean and Henry.  I've definitely learned something new here.  I'll try to remember it