TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Can the hole tool be used to make FLAT bottom holes?
Read 752 times
* June 08, 2017, 11:58:20 AM
In TC21 Pro, can the hole tool be used to make FLAT bottom holes?  Every hole it makes always produces a hole with a pointed end (not flat).

I know that I can get what I want by making simple cylinders and then subtracting them from the solid, but the hole tool would be much easier.

June 08, 2017, 12:28:19 PM
Hi,

have you tried under Properties, Hole Type, "Boss"?

Regards Tim
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 12:30:10 PM by Tim Stewart »

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Testing/using with Win 10 and various TurboCAD 64-bit versions.

* June 08, 2017, 12:40:05 PM
Tim,

Hole Type set to "Boss" is exactly what I needed.  Not sure why I didn't see it earlier.

Thanks for your help!

June 08, 2017, 12:45:58 PM
    Only too glad to help.

Regards Tim
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 02:14:39 AM by Tim Stewart »

* June 08, 2017, 02:37:37 PM
Oooops!  I spoke too soon.  Setting the Hole Tool such that Hole Type = "Boss" does not make a hole at all.  It makes a cylinder on top of where the hole should be.  See attached drawing.

I really like the hole tool, and I'm still hoping that there is a way to make flat bottom holes.  This is particularly true since I just found out that our prototype machine shop will charge us a LOT more to make the holes have pointed bottoms.  Their whole process is designed around making flat bottom holes, and not pointed bottom holes like you would normally encounter if regular drill bits were used.  Right now, their automatic software and robotic machines will keep changing out end-mills, making them smaller and smaller, just to make the bottom of the holes pointed.

* June 08, 2017, 02:57:11 PM
You could try the Imprint tool with a Circle. There's a Fillet or Chamfer option for either end, so the inside could be left flat. If you move the circle, the hole will follow.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* June 08, 2017, 05:19:31 PM
John,

I tried the Imprint tool.  It works OK but felt like I was performing about the same number of steps that it would take make holes by subtracting cylinders from solids.

I did discover a work around using the hole tool.  It involves setting the Hole Type = "Counter Bore", setting the Diameter to 0.001" (zero was not allowed), and setting the Depth and Bore Depth to the same value.  Unfortunately, this method will not work at all for Counter Sink holes.  The Counter Sink holes will always have a pointed bottom.

If you asked me, TurboCAD could improve the Hole Tool by adding a radio button to the Hole Tool Properties Dialog.  The radio button would allow users to select between flat bottom holes and pointed bottom holes.  Just my 2 cents....

* June 08, 2017, 07:08:13 PM
Coincident holes, counterbore as the workaround you describe, no chamfer, countersink with the same hole size as the counterbore hole.   

* June 08, 2017, 08:30:17 PM
John,

I tried the Imprint tool.  It works OK but felt like I was performing about the same number of steps that it would take make holes by subtracting cylinders from solids.

I did discover a work around using the hole tool.  It involves setting the Hole Type = "Counter Bore", setting the Diameter to 0.001" (zero was not allowed), and setting the Depth and Bore Depth to the same value.  Unfortunately, this method will not work at all for Counter Sink holes.  The Counter Sink holes will always have a pointed bottom.

If you asked me, TurboCAD could improve the Hole Tool by adding a radio button to the Hole Tool Properties Dialog.  The radio button would allow users to select between flat bottom holes and pointed bottom holes.  Just my 2 cents....

You're almost there. If you can accept a 90° countersink, use the "Counter Bore" Type, with "Depth" and "Bore depth" both set to the desired hole depth, "Diameter" set to 0.001", "Bore diameter" set to the desired hole diameter, and "Chamfer" set to the desired countersink depth.

Henry H

* June 08, 2017, 08:57:56 PM
John,

To me, I see the Circle as being the same as the Point object. I can move it anywhere within the main object or I can change its size (radius) and the hole updates. Editing a subtracted Cylinder can take many more steps in my opinion. Plus, the Imprint doesn't have that little line in the center that your Counter Bore workaround has.

John R.

RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

June 09, 2017, 04:34:04 AM
John,

I couldn't agree more!
I must admit, that in all my years, I have never felt the need to use this tool - boolean solid subtractions, have always worked for me.
After now playing with this tool, for the first time, I think this old dog doesn't want to try any new tricks.   ::)

I hope you find a solution, that suits your requirements.

Regards Tim

* June 09, 2017, 05:43:51 PM
To me, I see the Circle as being the same as the Point object. I can move it anywhere within the main object or I can change its size (radius) and the hole updates. Editing a subtracted Cylinder can take many more steps in my opinion. Plus, the Imprint doesn't have that little line in the center that your Counter Bore workaround has.

John, you have a good point.  I played with the Imprint tool a little more.  It does act a lot like the Hole tool, and may work fine as long as counter sinks are 90 degrees (same as chamfers that are hard-coded to 45 degrees).

Unfortunately, my design requires some of my holes to have 120 degree counter sinks, and these holes must have flat bottoms, not pointed.  It looks like the work around is really 2 steps....

Step 1.)  Make a flat bottom hole using the imprint tool, hole tool with counter-bore, or some other method. 
Step 2.)  Use the Hole Tool to add a 120 degree counter sink on top of the existing flat bottom hole.

I admit that the imprint tool makes holes that look better than the hole-tool-with-counter-bore method.

In the end, I really desire the Hole Tool Properties Dialog to have a radio button that would allow users to select between flat bottom holes and pointed bottom holes.  I switched to TurboCAD so that I could produce step files that I could send to ProtoLabs, and they will charge us a lot more money to make the holes have pointed bottoms instead of flat bottoms.

* June 11, 2017, 12:02:33 AM
Imprint does have a "…Blend Type" where you can pick a Chamfer or Fillet option; similar to the Hole tool chamfer. There's also the Chamfer Edges tool to create any chamfer angle.

John R.

RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit