TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Create Group, then Extrude?
Read 424 times
* June 07, 2017, 05:35:23 PM
Hello,  I have TC 2015 Deluxe.  I created a group of graphics in 2d.  I want to take that group and do a simple extrude, so that they are all the same height.  Is that possible in TC 2015 Deluxe?  Or, is there another route?  Besides obviously creating the parts one at a time, then assembling? 

TuboCad Deluxe 2015. 
Newbie, but Getting There.

* June 07, 2017, 06:05:36 PM
Groups limit what one can do and doesn't matter if deluxe or pro. there are a few ways,  one would be selecting the group, then at the top of the selection palette click 'edit group contents' button (it may also be available under the edit menu),  then as deluxe doesn't select multiple objects with the extrude tool, you could select all and then in selection properties palette give them a thickness which will allow them all the done at the same time, click finish edit group (looks like a tick or under edit menu).

You can do the one at a time in group edit, or by selecting group and using ctrl key click the one you wish to edit and give it thickness.

* June 07, 2017, 09:42:27 PM
Another option in Deluxe 2015…

After opening the Group, are the 2D objects separate lines-n-arcs or closed polyline objects? You could use the Join Polyline tool to make them closed (provided the endpoints meet). Then activate the Simple Extrude tool. Enter a Height value and use "Ctrl+L" while in the Height field to lock in the Height. "No Snap" each polyline profile twice; once to select it and the second sets the height. Move on to the next, etc.

When done extruding, activate the 3D Add or Subtract tool. Select the first object, then drag a selection window over the other objects to be added or subtracted. You can also hold the Shift key to select/deselect objects. Click on the "Finish" flag in the Inspector Bar or use "Finish Selection" in the Local Menu to complete the Boolean operation.

Exit the Group Edit.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* June 14, 2017, 03:03:35 PM
Thanks guys. Sorry it took me so long to get back.  It works like a charm.  I created a group then modified it in the selection pallete.

TuboCad Deluxe 2015. 
Newbie, but Getting There.