TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Please Review TurboCAD - We would love to hear your thoughts...
Read 14456 times
* April 01, 2019, 05:18:14 AM
If you have win 10, there is a pdf Reader included, or maybe search for another free pdf Reader.
Your issue with Adobe maybe is related to they only sell cloud versions now ??

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

April 01, 2019, 07:57:26 AM
My feedback relates to the import and use of blueprints as guides, both importing AND scaling.  Renders anywhere near pr are a dark art that has also completely passed by me.

In the beginning there was light but someone stopped paying the bills.......

* April 01, 2019, 04:11:36 PM
Torfinn -

I use WIN 7 Pro.

This was my first computer bought new, from an independent dealer so I knew I could better advice than from the supermarket-type places.
It actually had WIN 8 but the dealer re-set it to 7, which he said was a common request from people wanting more than just e-mails and entertainments from their computers. I fell for MS' blandishments and loaded WIN 10 when it was new and still free, but it was a disaster. Among other things it wiped out my several web-site registrations and even after reverting to 7 I had a Dickens of a chore repairing the damage. 

I did not know Adobe is purely internet based now. (Why do they call it the "cloud"? Is it a euphemism to divert attention from the increased security risks?)

However I had heard it's likely that many of the main software publishers will eventually use a similar business model, worse, replacing up-front purchases with costly subscriptions in open-ended "contracts", so they make far more money! I do not know if this "heard it's likely" has much substance in it, but it's apparently the case with WinZip, and certainly with the Adobe software necessary for converting those wretched docx and xlsx files to editable forms.

Nigel.

On TC Deluxe 19: hobby use.

* April 01, 2019, 05:07:16 PM
I use win 10 and are happy with that, sometimes i need to switch over to IE instead of EDGE if i should have some old map's from the county or even some files in here at the forum, but else EDGE do the job.

I have win 7 on the old machine but that one is basically a dustcollector now, and i had a big job to keep MS's fingers away from it when they want everyone to switch over to win 10 :),

The "Cloud" is just a fancy word for trying to hide " i want more of your bucks " in my head, and the same thing with this socalled service fee, we buy a program, get an old version/ built of it and need to pay extra for get the last buildt of it, truly i dont see that as a service.
Of course the company's should make Money, i only just dont like if i dont get an option, and that is also the mainreason for why any Appleproduct is "forbidden" in my household, i have always been, and still are anti-Apple :)
So it's just a matter of time before all programs is sold that way, they should all survive and give profit to stockholders, so from that point of view it's understandable, but i dont need to like it.

I have Adobe XI, but stop using it after i got TurboPDF, and i also used CutePDF that is free before that again, and at least back then there was no commercial on it, have no ide'a how it is today.
So you could try look for that, there is also one another that Jeff talk about, 3 digits like 936PDF or similar to that.
One of this should be able for you to use and be able to read pdf's, but if you want edit/ write a pdf i assume you need to buy one.
But you can write in TC and save as pdf if it's only simple needs.

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

April 01, 2019, 06:58:21 PM
So you could try look for that, there is also one another that Jeff talk about, 3 digits like 936PDF or similar to that.

Doesn't ring a bell with me, but I have PrimoPDF installed on my system for the times when I have to print several of TurboCAD's paper spaces to a single document (I was never able to get reliable results using TurboCAD's setup with CutePDF).

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* April 01, 2019, 07:03:15 PM
Then i mix you with someone else on that point, but Primo will do the same thing for Nigel i guess, thanks.

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* April 02, 2019, 03:34:09 PM
I don't think I'll have any problems in this regard with TurboCAD because I don't envisage sending drawings elsewhere, nor receiving any.

The difficulties I had with locked files and sharp business practices first appeared shortly before I retired a couple of years or so ago, and sent home from my work "confuser" various 'Word' and 'Excel' documents about my pension. (I won't mention the odd lunch-time "bunny" like change-wheel tables...)

I'd attached them in good faith as .doc and .doc files, but they arrived with 'x' on the end, so were unusable. They would though, open a side panel labelled Adobe, with a short options menu and big blue "Convert Now" button... Only that was deceitful as it converted nothing, but merely opened a sales page demanding over £30/month to let me do what should never have been necessary anyway, and never was previously. Luckily I found I could avoid this rip-off by re-saving the files first in older formats.   

Subsequently, as an officer of my model-engineering club whose committee e-circulated its reports prior to committee-meetings, this file-type-x malarkey made it even harder to compile several reports in a rich mixture of styles and file-formats, into cohesive meeting hand-books.

I dread to think what Microsoft and Adobe between them, will do to transmitted CAD work! Perhaps though the real problem is not whether they will allow exchanging drawings in the latest formats, and editably so; but also ones made several years ago.

Nigel.

April 02, 2019, 03:50:56 PM
I'd attached them in good faith as .doc and .doc files, but they arrived with 'x' on the end, so were unusable.

So many people never upgraded from Office 2003 (me among them) that Microsoft released a converter so it can read & write the .DOCX, .XLSX, etc. formats.

You can find it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=33298

I occasionally (rarely, actually) see a warning that some aspects of a document may be misinterpreted, but it hasn't been a problem for me.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* April 02, 2019, 04:07:36 PM
Thank-you for that, Jeffin.

I had a quick look, to find a somewhat worrying message that "This page will be retired".

Nigel.

April 02, 2019, 05:58:16 PM
I did not notice the retirement notice.  I now have downloaded (and properly labeled) the plug-in.

Thanks,

Jeff

* April 04, 2019, 12:27:22 PM
Thus encouraged I tried to install it..

The MS web-site told me my computer already has the converter (news to me!), and the installation therefore failed.

Nigel.

* May 01, 2019, 01:48:07 PM
Jeffin,

I've just looked at Don Cheke's catalogue you cite a few messages back.

Unfortunately all his tutorials are based on single, complicated items, and he lists only two for my edition of TurboCAD anyway. One is for an elaborate barn, the other a railway vehicle.

Regarding TC versions, Don does warn various editions can differ significantly. I was caught out recently by a much simpler, rather abstract exercise another user suggested I try. It had been produced for some other edition, so only about half of it was any use to me.

I need clear, simple instructions on this software's basics. I accept a step-by-step guide to specific drawings of single things at a very advanced level may work for others, but I fear for me, it would separate drawing its own object, from drawing anything even similar. Instead of learning TurboCAD generally to a level comprehensible and useful to me, I be only copying an example of another's work far beyond my capacity to learn.

I have the greatest respect for what Don has done, and his approach seems to work for TC users already reasonably skilled and who can match tutorial to TC edition; but his catalogue and the sample images suggests the exercises are for not for my level. I would probably find them too much, having the opposite effect to what Don intends.

Perhaps those who really gain from Don's tutorials are experienced TC users refining existing high skills, or have come to TC from considerable experience with some other CAD  package. Both such users would be familiar with advanced CAD concepts generally. Not beginners.

Nigel.

* May 01, 2019, 02:46:52 PM
Nigel it seems clear to me that you need to spend more time on 2D training 1st. We all started somewhere  with tc and if you genuinely have trouble in learning it then starting with the basics is your best course of action. There are many 2D training packages out there so give one a try. For me when I 1st started with tc I too had some troubles understanding concepts and reluctantly went back to the basics to learn. That was over 4 years ago now. Learn and master 2D before you head into 3D, thats your best bet.

Daz
TCW V21, 2016-2018 PP, Animation Lab V5, TurboPDF V2-V3 & LightWorks Rendering Engine mostly.

* May 01, 2019, 04:01:29 PM
Nigel look for a 2D & 3D training by Ken Doyle.
see this link:
http://www.mindscape.com.au/software/cad-fundamentals-3d-training-dvd-rom-for-turbocad-mechanical-edition.do
For only $AU45.00 its a bargain, and its got many videos as well as written instructions and turbocad referenced files that you can work from.

Daz
TCW V21, 2016-2018 PP, Animation Lab V5, TurboPDF V2-V3 & LightWorks Rendering Engine mostly.

May 01, 2019, 05:39:13 PM
Jeffin,

Unfortunately all his tutorials are based on single, complicated items, and he lists only two for my edition of TurboCAD anyway. One is for an elaborate barn, the other a railway vehicle.

Regarding TC versions, Don does warn various editions can differ significantly. I was caught out recently by a much simpler, rather abstract exercise another user suggested I try. It had been produced for some other edition, so only about half of it was any use to me.

I need clear, simple instructions on this software's basics. I accept a step-by-step guide to specific drawings of single things at a very advanced level may work for others, but I fear for me, it would separate drawing its own object, from drawing anything even similar. Instead of learning TurboCAD generally to a level comprehensible and useful to me, I be only copying an example of another's work far beyond my capacity to learn.

I have the greatest respect for what Don has done, and his approach seems to work for TC users already reasonably skilled and who can match tutorial to TC edition; but his catalogue and the sample images suggests the exercises are for not for my level. I would probably find them too much, having the opposite effect to what Don intends.

Perhaps those who really gain from Don's tutorials are experienced TC users refining existing high skills, or have come to TC from considerable experience with some other CAD  package. Both such users would be familiar with advanced CAD concepts generally. Not beginners.

I appreciate that you are having difficulty learning the program, I have been a new user myself with many different programs in the past. Most of the folks that purchase my tutorials are new to CAD and certainly new to TurboCAD. That was my case when I began to learn TurboCAD back in 2002. Not even sure I knew what CAD was before I stumbled upon it at Staples one day. When I started to write tutorials it was due to the fact that I could never find the kind of tutorial I wanted, that is, a project that would lead me completely through a real-world project from start to finish. It seemed nobody wanted to put in the time required to make such a thing. After I got comfortable with TurboCAD I started to write tutorials and folks on the TC forum encouraged me to sell them due to the amount of effort that went/goes into them. I learned early in my tutorial writing days that one must write keystroke by keystroke and try never to take anything for granted. That has been my mode ever since. The only think I take for granted is that new users will poke around the program to find tools and get to know the interface, which I think any curious person would do with prompting (although that is looked at in part during most tutorials).

As I said, my tutorials are written keystroke by keystroke and most new users find them beneficial. I often receive positive comments about how they help take months of one's learning curve. I also have numerous users who purchase virtually all of my tutorials as they come out because they enjoy doing them and picking up the odd new process that maybe they were not aware of. So a wide spread of user levels.

I can think of only a three cases over the years where users struggled greatly, even with the step by step tutorials. Not that purchasing a tutorial offers endless help, but I spent much additional time with them (via email), creating personalized videos, answering additional questions and trying figure out what was keeping them from progressing. For two of them it was just a matter of not taking time to read each step and one I remember had trouble understanding how to snap. He kept try to drag and drop to snap instead of doing it by click and release. Once I figured out what was happening and gave him a lesson specifically on that, it all clicked for him and he was able to move forward without any further issue. As I have read your posts in the past, I often wondered if that was the issue you were having.

I don't think my tutorials are for you because I don't have any Deluxe tutorials for the version you have and have no doubt trying to follow them would cause confusion. I definitely would not recommend trying a pro version tutorial.

I found the attached starter to be helpful when I started and I found Kevin Doucette's book (Mastering TurboCAD) helpful. I don't think his book is still available.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 08:14:47 PM by Don Cheke »

May 01, 2019, 05:58:59 PM

Nigel:

I am a fan of Don's tutorials (bought 2; once when I started and another when I decided to learn RedSDK).  There are occasional problems, but Don has always made himself available to solve them.

You can get a tutorial for one of the earlier versions, if that looks to be closer to how you plan to use TurboCAD, because every command will be available in subsequent releases.

However, you may be better off starting with one of the much simpler tutorials sold on the TurboCAD web site.  I did that, but was unhappy with the cursory overview of basic functions, so I got one of Don's tutorials after hearing about them here on the forum.

Jeff

* May 02, 2019, 05:23:25 AM
Thank you Don and Jeffin.

Yes - I feared trying to use a tutorial written for a different TC version (mine is 19 Deluxe) could be a mistake!

My main point though was that even if I found how to translate tool differences, or where I could omit details needing tools not in 19 Deluxe,  such exercises would probably mean me producing a very complicated image without really knowing or understanding how, so be unable to transfer its methods to my own inventions.

The "Help" manual does illustrate some tools with very simple sketches, and I have tried that approach by basically copying that with simple 2D or 3D shapes. It does not always work though, because those instructions do not explain the necessary entity types, pre-conditions and limits.

I cannot learn by rote. My memory is not that good, and rote-learning generally fails to teach how to analyse problems so select their best, or only, solutions; nor how to think laterally about related problems. It just teaches you its own examples. I need to know what I am doing and why, otherwise I cannot choose and use the right methods in other situations that might only look similar.

Nigel.