TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Reduce size of multiple objects
Read 184 times
* June 02, 2017, 01:30:56 PM
Hello,

I'm having an issue with resizing multiple objects.

Let's say I have 5 rectangles that are 2"x2" a piece.  And I want to shrink them all by 50 percent.  When I select them all, it will create 1 center for all 5 objects, when I resize them, they are based on a single center point.  I need to resize them in place (as if they all retained their center points).

Hopefully this makes sense?

Thanks!

Geno

* June 02, 2017, 02:17:07 PM
Welcome,  when selecting multiple objects TC acts as if they were a group therefore it scales the objects and the spaces in between, so with simple 2 x 2 rectangles the result of 0.5 scaling should be that each are 1 x 1, though they will be closer together which is assume is not what you require.

With only a few objects its just as quick to select each and apply the scale individually,  there are other methods which can work, for example if using pro and there are lots of objects, running a little macro will do it, but you would need to specify what version and type of TC you are using, (for example v21 Pro Platinum / v2016 Deluxe etc.)

* June 02, 2017, 02:28:05 PM
Thx for the quick reply.

I'm using deluxe 2016.

This is actually for a case where there are 48 pads for a small chip.  I need to reduce the size without losing the center of each pad.

If I have to do it manually that's no big deal.  Just wondering if there was a quicker way to accomplish it.

Thx

* June 02, 2017, 03:09:40 PM
If the pads are regularly spaced, quickest to redraw or resize one and array copy.

* June 02, 2017, 03:35:09 PM
I had a think but noting really comes to mind, one could use a combination of scaling 8 of them then using scale and distribute to get the rest, but even then its not gaining much time wise.

For future drawings, I'd suggest drawing one, then creating a block, and using the block (or rubber stamp from the first block) to get the rest,  then if you need to alter things it is just a matter of altering a single block in the blocks palette (- edit content) and they will all change,   

June 02, 2017, 03:50:44 PM
I'm using deluxe 2016.

This is actually for a case where there are 48 pads for a small chip.  I need to reduce the size without losing the center of each pad.

If I have to do it manually that's no big deal.  Just wondering if there was a quicker way to accomplish it.

I would create the pads as a single Block item and place multiple copies of it.

If the size, color or shape changes in the future, you have only to edit the original Block item.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* June 12, 2017, 03:20:53 PM
See the Tips and Tricks thread on "Rescaling a collection..." and be sure to read at least the first four posts in the thread.

Henry H