TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Reliability of TC19 and later versions
Read 939 times
* May 15, 2017, 11:05:55 PM
I wonder if forum members might be able to give me some general advice on the reliability of recent versions of TurboCAD.

I first started using CAD software in 1999 when I discovered TotalCAD, which was being sold for a small sum of money as a promotion.  I was delighted with it and regarded it as one of the two best software purchases I have ever made, the other being the excellent file manager XYplorer.  TotalCAD changed to TurboCAD and I followed it through versions 5, 7, 9 Pro, 12 and 15.  I really enjoyed using the product.

In 2015, I bought version 19 Deluxe and soon realised I had walked into a complete mess.  I will not bore you with a detailed blow-by-blow account; a summary is bad enough. Suffice it to say that in the course of five months, I had to reinstall the software three times and repair it five times.  The program could be very sluggish (2.9 GHz processor, 8 GB RAM).  In addition, I had at least 23 crashes – the ones I noted before I gave up logging – variously showing messages: ‘Unhandled Exception’, ‘Out of Memory’, ‘TurboCAD 19 has stopped working…’  Frequently, tools would simply cease working.  The Delete key and CTRL key sequences would become inoperative.  Hundreds of objects lost their snap to the grid and had to be individually realigned. I lost a lot of work and time.

As you can imagine, this was a huge disappointment.  A product that I had regarded as pretty solid for sixteen years was suddenly approaching the levels of unreliability of Microsoft Windows/Office – and that’s really saying something.

After 18 months of comparative bliss using a borrowed Apple laptop, in the past few days I have had to return to Windows and my desktop computer for a drawing project.  Coincidentally, I reinstalled Windows 7 Pro after fitting a larger SSD system disk.  When I came to reinstall TurboCAD 19, I was unable to.  Reason: Error 1335 “The cabinet file ‘Data1.cab’ required for this installation is corrupt…”  I could not face trying to sort this one out as I gradually remembered what had happened with TC19 previously. It was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

My question is, if I buy a new version of TurboCAD, am I going to experience the same kind of problems as with TC19?  Was TC19 a one-off turkey or, for whatever reasons, can I now expect to have to contend with more of the same?

I understand that this is a ‘how-long-is-a-of-piece-of-string’ kind of question and also that I may have hit problems that a majority of TC19 users will not have come across.  I am just hoping for a feel of what is going on from people with their fingers on the pulse.

May 16, 2017, 03:56:31 AM
Hi,

and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your woes with TC.
I don't remember v19 being particularly poor for me.

Before anything else, doing a fresh install, with files from here:

http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,8998.0.html

might be worth trying?  Remember to remove all traces of the old installation first!

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016 - 64-bit versions.

May 16, 2017, 05:17:51 AM
My go-to installation fix is to recommend that you install in Administrator mode.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* May 16, 2017, 05:23:35 AM

Hello Tim,

Thank you for your reply and the link to the TC19 Downloads page.

Of the eight builds and updates listed on that page, seven can be downloaded.  The eighth, for TC19 De Luxe, which is the one I would need, is not available.  I get a 404 error when clicking on the link.

http://downloads.imsidesign.com/ESD/04TCD5191B_TurboCAD_Deluxe_v19-2.exe

* May 16, 2017, 08:20:06 AM

Of the eight builds and updates listed on that page, seven can be downloaded.  The eighth, for TC19 De Luxe, which is the one I would need, is not available.  I get a 404 error when clicking on the link.

E-mail sent to IMSI support, hopefully the link will be corrected soon.

* May 16, 2017, 08:40:40 AM

Hallo Andy,

Thank you for taking the trouble.  I’ve been looking around the site and found I could send a PM to the site admin, Turbotech.  I did so, although I was not too sure whether he would be the right one to contact.  When I get the download, I’ll give the reinstall another go.

* May 16, 2017, 09:34:10 AM
Try this one
http://downloads.imsidesign.com/ESD/04TCD5191C_TurboCAD_Deluxe_v19-2.exe
They changed the system some time ago, maybe thats why the link in forum not work

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* May 16, 2017, 10:48:28 AM
re: …They changed the system some time ago, maybe that's why the link in forum not work.

It comes down to the difference of one letter; B to C.
……downloads.imsidesign.com/ESD/04TCD5191B_TurboCAD_Deluxe_v19-2.exe
……downloads.imsidesign.com/ESD/04TCD5191C_TurboCAD_Deluxe_v19-2.exe

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* May 16, 2017, 11:24:01 AM
Thanks John
I have never noticed that :)

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* May 16, 2017, 07:51:38 PM
Hallo Torfinn and John R,

Thanks for the new link and only an hour later!  I was so sure that it would take much longer for Support to do something about the 404 error that I left it for eight hours before coming back.

I installed as Administrator as usual.  Per the read me notes, I paused the Kaspersky antivirus, switched off the User Account Control and Data Execution Prevention, although doing this didn’t seem to make any difference either way the three times I reinstalled TC19 back in 2015. I suppose I’m superstitious – use the ju-ju just in case.

The installation was successful. It’s 3.45 am and time for bed. I’ll start using the beast tomorrow and see if it behaves itself, fingers crossed.  Whatever happens, good or bad, I’ll report back in a while.  Thanks to all for the assistance.

May 17, 2017, 02:21:51 AM

We all have our "fingers crossed", for you.   ;)

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016 - 64-bit versions.

May 18, 2017, 03:59:53 PM
Hi Linear -

Sorry to hear about your troubles.  I am happy to work directly with you to make sure you are good to go.
As for your question -
My question is, if I buy a new version of TurboCAD, am I going to experience the same kind of problems as with TC19?  Was TC19 a one-off turkey or, for whatever reasons, can I now expect to have to contend with more of the same?

I'd suggest upgrading since V19 is 5+ years old and technically no longer supported.  Plus there have been many product improvements since then.  I'd also suggest you download the trial version and run it yourself for awhile.

https://www.turbocad.com/content/free-trials

Thanks,
Dave Taylor
TurboCAD Product Manager