TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Cannot edit materials in Lightworks Materials Palette
Read 327 times
* May 05, 2017, 01:15:47 PM
I've been pulling my hair out for the last couple of hours trying to figure out what has happened to my installation of v21 Platinum on Windows 10 64-bit.  I am no longer able to enter the Render Manager to edit any of the Lightworks materials.  No matter how I try to get there, whether by right-clicking in a blank area of the Materials Palette and choosing Edit; or by Options>Materials>Edit Lightworks Materials; or by selecting a part and choosing Properties>Materials>Edit - TurboCAD locks up.  The menu bars on both the open dialog and the program change to a white color and the program just sits there.  It does not say '(Not Responding)" in the Menu Bar like it sometimes does when rendering or thinking about something.  There is no progress bar - nothing.... 

I've even gone so far as to uninstall TurboCAD, delete all associated folders and try a clean install.  It still crashes when trying to edit the Materials Palette.  All video drivers are up to date - nothing has changed there...   

Anyone have any ideas?

Mike 

TurboCAD 21 Pro Platinum 64-Bit v21.2 Build 59.0

Intel Core i7 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16GB Ram
NVIDIA GTX 1060 - 6GB
Windows 10  64-Bit

* May 05, 2017, 02:29:05 PM
Is Native Draw set to "GDI"? Do you have a current LW Plugin installed? If both answers are "Yes," what happens if you right-click in the Materials palette and select "Restore Default Materials"? Now I'm out of ideas.

Henry H

* May 05, 2017, 02:45:24 PM
I've been pulling my hair out for the last couple of hours trying to figure out what has happened to my installation of v21 Platinum on Windows 10 64-bit.  I am no longer able to enter the Render Manager to edit any of the Lightworks materials.  No matter how I try to get there, whether by right-clicking in a blank area of the Materials Palette and choosing Edit; or by Options>Materials>Edit Lightworks Materials; or by selecting a part and choosing Properties>Materials>Edit - TurboCAD locks up.  The menu bars on both the open dialog and the program change to a white color and the program just sits there.  It does not say '(Not Responding)" in the Menu Bar like it sometimes does when rendering or thinking about something.  There is no progress bar - nothing.... 

I've even gone so far as to uninstall TurboCAD, delete all associated folders and try a clean install.  It still crashes when trying to edit the Materials Palette.  All video drivers are up to date - nothing has changed there...   

Anyone have any ideas?

Mike

I seem to remember someone having a similar problem.
Creating a new windows User account, I think fixed it.
 Create a new User then log in to the new user and open Turbocad.
You might want to try and find that post prior to creating a new User account.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2016-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21(Best working version,IMHO) Using Lightworks for reliability/stability and testing redsdk, Anilab lab 5, Renditioner Pro V3. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

* May 05, 2017, 03:05:24 PM
Hi, Henry - yes sir, Native Draw is set to GDI and this is version 21 Platinum - Lightworks came with it - no need to install a separate plugin.  I had already tried the 'Restore Default Materials' option, but tried again, anyway - same thing.  TC crashes and I have to invoke the Task Manager to close it.

Hi, Dean.  I think I found the User Account posts you referenced.  I'll go over it in more detail and maybe give it a try.  I'm using a local account in Windows 10 to access all my programs.  When I initially looked at adding a new User Account, it seems to want me to create a new Microsoft Account - don't want to do that.   I'll dig a little deeper.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Mike

NVIDIA GTX 1060 - 6GB
Windows 10  64-Bit

* May 05, 2017, 03:52:17 PM
Well, I created a new local User Account and signed on using it.  The issue with the Materials Palette is no longer there.   Even though this seems to work, I don't consider it a usable resolution.  While I'm logged in as the 'New user' none of my other user data or documents is available on all the other programs I use on a day-to-day basis, and I often reference it while working on a drawing.  I'm guessing there is a Registry entry or something like that that somehow got corrupted recently and created this problem. 

I suppose I'm now faced with a complete re-install of the operating system and everything else...   

Anyone else know the key to this issue and how to resolve it?

Alvin - I read with interest all your attempts to resolve this same issue - did you ever get to the bottom of it?

NVIDIA GTX 1060 - 6GB
Windows 10  64-Bit

* May 05, 2017, 04:12:16 PM
Well, I created a new local User Account and signed on using it.  The issue with the Materials Palette is no longer there.   Even though this seems to work, I don't consider it a usable resolution.  While I'm logged in as the 'New user' none of my other user data or documents is available on all the other programs I use on a day-to-day basis, and I often reference it while working on a drawing.  I'm guessing there is a Registry entry or something like that that somehow got corrupted recently and created this problem. 

I suppose I'm now faced with a complete re-install of the operating system and everything else...   

Anyone else know the key to this issue and how to resolve it?

Alvin - I read with interest all your attempts to resolve this same issue - did you ever get to the bottom of it?

That would be my guess, too. I've had to clean the Registry on very rare occasions to make TCad work correctly; haven't had to re-install the OS yet. I seem to remember creating a new User Account for some reason and deciding that it was a bad idea.

Henry h

May 05, 2017, 04:35:01 PM

Daz...
V2016 64-Bit & 32 Bit Platinum Edition - Build 61.2
RedSDK Only in 64 bit & 32 bit = RedSDK & Lightworks
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.
OS Windows7 Pro 64bit Lenovo W701 Laptop, 12GB Ram, 2 x 128 SSD harddrives, NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M Graphics, Intel i7 CPU...

* May 05, 2017, 04:55:30 PM
Some info here could help - http://www.techbout.com/fix-corrupt-user-profile-windows-10-9139/

That's incredibly complicated. I wonder if System Restore would help.

Henry H

* May 05, 2017, 05:44:38 PM

I seem to remember someone having a similar problem.
Creating a new windows User account, I think fixed it.
 Create a new User then log in to the new user and open Turbocad.
You might want to try and find that post prior to creating a new User account.

RE:  "I seem to remember someone having a similar problem."-- That was me.  It was a soooo frustrating experience.  I too was wanting to pull what was left of my hair out.

What Dean said-- creating a new Windows User Account-- allowed me to access Lightworks stuff for editing; albeit, only in that new User Account.

I did discover a remedy after the above-referenced workaround.  It was via going into the Windows Registry and manually deleting stuff.  I posted that solution a couple of months ago.  I'll try to find that post.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* May 05, 2017, 05:47:51 PM
Here's a link to that post where I posted my successful resolution of the exact same issue I had in version-20PP.  -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* May 05, 2017, 06:26:48 PM
Darrell - thanks for digging up that link - I did try those Registry edits and it didn't help my particular issue.  Good information, though!

Henry - my latest System Restore is pretty old.  I'm thinking that would probably do the trick, but may introduce issues in other programs.  I'll try that just before I do a format/install (if I end up having to do that...)

Alvin - thanks for the reply - I'm in the middle of a backup right now (in preparation for a complete format and OS re-install).  As soon as this finishes I'll give that Registry edit a try and see if it works for me.  Gosh - I hope it does.  I'm not looking forward to re-installing everything....

Thanks, everyone for your input so far.  I'll report back after I try Alvin's suggestion.

Mike

NVIDIA GTX 1060 - 6GB
Windows 10  64-Bit

* May 05, 2017, 07:25:25 PM
Yeah!!!  It worked!!!  High five to you Alvin!!

That seems to have done the trick.  I followed Alvin's referenced post above to the letter and it worked beautifully.

Thank you so much!!  I'm going to copy and past this information and save for further reference if needed.

Mike

NVIDIA GTX 1060 - 6GB
Windows 10  64-Bit