TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Table Insert Row Column Adds Only To Last (SOLVED)
Read 273 times
* May 05, 2017, 08:08:24 AM
When I try to add a row or a column to a table in edit mode, I select a cell where I want the insert but the inserted row or column will only be added after the last existing row or column. This make table use very difficult as all all existing data must be somehow moved down for rows or over for columns when one needs to put more data between existing data. According to the wiki page Changing Rows and Columns, Merging Cells TurboCAD should insert at the point of the selected cell.

Am I missing something, is there a bug, or has TurboCAD changed in my version, Professional 2015?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 06:43:31 AM by rpms »

* May 05, 2017, 01:55:19 PM
Seems to work here; TurboCAD 2015 Platinum, Windows 10.
  • I select the entire Table with the Edit Tool.
  • Then hold the "Shift" key and select a single 'cell'.
  • I release the "Shift" key and go to the Local Menu.
  • I can choose to Insert/Delete a Row/Column, which is placed below or to the right of the selected cell.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* May 06, 2017, 07:30:49 AM
Thank you for your help John. I am getting the insert to work now. I didn't know as much as that you could add text to cells and was using the general text tool; so when I inserted, the row just seemed to be insert at the end!

But now I see that the table text is always center justified. Any way to change that, to say left justified?

* May 06, 2017, 04:24:27 PM
After fiddling with this for a bit, Table Styles has a "Cell Alignment" for each section (Data, Header,Title), but doesn't allow columns of Data to have different alignments. You would probably be better off doing this in Excel and copying the Excel data into TurboCAD or using "Insert / Object".

John R.

RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* May 09, 2017, 08:27:56 AM
Thank you for the terrific help John! I just got a first chance to try out what you suggested. I learned how to do the table styles and it works ok. It is very good to know there are options like to be useful in future! I'd like to left align text columns and center the blocks but one can only as you noted apply the alignment by the broader definitions of Data, Header, and Title.

I agree with you that excel would seem a better choice but that doesn't work here so far. I do not have excel on my computer but I have some files I tried and they do not work. Please so the attached image for the error result. It appears perhaps that excel must be installed on my computer for the excel insert to work.

* May 09, 2017, 10:25:46 AM
Not sure what you meant by 'centre the Blocks' but you can change the alignment of individual cells, by using modify table tool, selecting a cell, and altering alignment in the selection properties palette.

It would be a pain on a long table though as each cell that is to be different from the style has to be one at a time.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 10:32:20 AM by Andy H »

* May 09, 2017, 10:56:41 AM
Not sure what you meant by 'centre the Blocks' but you can change the alignment of individual cells, by using modify table tool, selecting a cell, and altering alignment in the selection properties palette.

It would be a pain on a long table though as each cell that is to be different from the style has to be one at a time.

Very nice Andy. I think I had looked there, but when I was using the Edit Tool and not the Modify Table tool. So many methods to remember when editing a Table.

John R.

RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* May 09, 2017, 11:03:32 AM
Thank you for the terrific help John! I just got a first chance to try out what you suggested. I learned how to do the table styles and it works ok. It is very good to know there are options like to be useful in future! I'd like to left align text columns and center the blocks but one can only as you noted apply the alignment by the broader definitions of Data, Header, and Title.

I agree with you that excel would seem a better choice but that doesn't work here so far. I do not have excel on my computer but I have some files I tried and they do not work. Please so the attached image for the error result. It appears perhaps that excel must be installed on my computer for the excel insert to work.

Most likely. I've never had a computer without the basic Microsoft Office applications.

John R.

RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* May 10, 2017, 06:41:19 AM
Not sure what you meant by 'centre the Blocks'

By center the blocks I mean I have a column of cells with blocks beside a column of text, the text descriptions of the blocks as symbols for the drawing. Yes, I see how the individual cells can in fact be aligned using selection info while in modify table mode. It is good to know that and would not be so bad if it was all done while the table is first created.